• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Lady or Gentleman?

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
Years
  • What did you decide on. Just because we are male/female doesn't necessarily obligate us to pick our Trainer of the same gender? So do you usually pick a male or female trainer at the start of games?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2012
    The only time I chose the female was when they introduced Kris in Crystal because I thought it was cool they added a girl trainer that you could play as. Since then, I've always chosen the guy because I am one. In HeartGold and SoulSilver, I would have chosen Ethan if I was a girl anyway, though, because Lyra has the dumbest design I've ever seen. She looks ridiculous.

Years
  • I always choose the boy character, and that was the same for HG and Platinum. It never made much sense to play as the opposite gender, and the only time I can actually remember doing it was my second playthrough of Sapphire, just because I thought it would be interesting to have a rival that had the same name as me.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ever since I started playing, I've always chosen the male character (because I'm a guy). It didn't make much sense for me to pick the opposite gender character back then.

Years
  • It really depends on how I'm feeling at the moment. I happened to hate the design for the male character in D/P/Pt, whose name I forgot, so I only picked Dawn in gen IV. For HGSS, I played as both.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • In every game, every game I've played, I've always chosen the male option. Although I don't think it's strange if a male were to choose a female character, but I just prefer playing as the gender I am irl.

Zephele

✧ leave it to me!
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2013
    Even though I have the tendency to alternate between the two protagonists whenever I play and replay the other main series games, the Gen IV games are the ones where I have a slight bias towards one character because I think they look better. In particular, I much prefer the female character in DPPt, and I have the tendency to choose the male character more often with HGSS, even if I have played as both.

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • Every game excluding Pearl, I've played as a dude.

Why Pearl? I got it as a gift for my birthday so I was just ****ing around on it. I named Dawn weird and unusual things, and blah I did.

Mentalii

Back
    Years
  • Except of course in the very first games, I always chose the female protagonist. I wouldn't mind to pich the male character, but since I'm a girl, I prefer to choose the girl, this way it's easier to identify with her.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • I do try the female roles just to see the difference between both characters. But I mainly use the male characters when I play for realziez

Years
  • I got Soul Silver on Saturday and it is the only time when I've had the option to pick the gender that I've wanted to play as the boy. Mainly cause I'm not keen on Lyra's design + Ethan to me is such a badass lol. I did go with the girl in the end but still, I was very tempted lol.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I've never actually chosen female characters. I've never seen the reason to choose them, since there was hardly any difference except for in R/S/E where your rival was just a different gender, so I always chose the guy since I'm a boy myself.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I'd always chosen male characters in every game I'd played... until I started my recent run through of Platinum. I thought it'd be interesting to see how different the game would be from a female perspective. The answer? Not all that much, to be honest. But in some ways it's kinda fun. I certainly won't be averse to doing so in future games that I purchase, although I'll probably revert back to male for the most part. Still, it's been a fun lil' experiment so far.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2013
    I usually choose the male character, no problem playing as a girl but still not my favourite option. After playing ruby as a dude i decided to play sapphire as a girl, just to try something different

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

I use both, normally Male for my main game and then female for the game i get second. :)

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2012
    I usualy use girls except in HGSS because lyra sucked. Even in Mystery Dungeon I usually choose girl. I am a guy and Im not gay but I think the girls have better designs in the games.

Years
  • I always play as a female Trainer cos I am female.

Also, I love the female Trainers' designs better (despite most people's thoughts on Lyra) which really made it appeal to female players like me.

I usually have no problem playing as male but I always play as female on my main game.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • I choose the boy out of tradition.

I've thought about making two saves in Gen III, one for the boy in FireRed and another for the girl in LeafGreen, but the idea never came to fruition because I'm too lazy to play what's basically the same game twice. And in Gen IV, IMO DP aren't worth playing (Platinum is heaps better), so I didn't continue it.

Back