• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: "L'art pour l'art" - DCC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
That'd be lovely. :D I miss Icontests a lot tbh. And then would there be some other contest like once a month as well? Tags or pixel art or something?

For sure! n.n; Probably alternate between tags, pixel art (which doesn't always have to be just pokemon related), fakemon contests, and definitely more traditional/digital contests. Like, I've always wanted to run a POPdraw contest, in which you'd have, idk, an hour to draw on this day, at this time. Then just before the contest, I'd release the theme. Draw a bird, GO! Or something like that, something a little more fun and exciting and challenging!

Anyway, good news!
http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=8131360#post8131360

gogogo fly my artists

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
Oh I like that POPdraw idea. :D Even though I suck at drawing lmao.

Also I made a vintage icon already but it sucks bleah im try again tomorrow.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I'm really not happy with my entry; like Anna, I'll probably swap it tomorrow. Don't have access to Photoshop at the moment, so GIMP and Pixlr are my only options, which I'm not very good at using. :( Pixlr is okay, but doesn't have many tools available. As for GIMP, well, I find that to be way too complicated; wish it were more simple.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
tbh I can only sort-of use Phtotoshop; I never had access to it so GIMP was my go-to program and I learned on that. So I think it's easy lol.

I think the icon i edited in there is better but ugh I've been searching for this one image that I know exists because my mom used to have a print of it and it was like, bold colours but a painting of some ladies in 20's fashions at a waterfront café or something and it would have been perfect to play with but I CANT FIND IT ;;

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I started off graphic-designing with GIMP, but was growing sort of tired of its loading, which soon caused me to move over to Photoshop. I fell in love with it instantly, and haven't looked back ever since.

Ughh, yeah, it's always tough when it comes to looking for something specific. ;o; Unless the picture is well-known and has its own title, chances are, you will never find it. I never search for things when making icons; I just visit some site, and use whatever I could manage to get my hands on. Haha.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
GIMP got like 8x better when I upgraded from 2.6 to 2.8 two weeks ago because i didnt bother for years

I usually just use whatever strikes me as nice but I was googling variations on "1920s posters" for hours yesterday because that style was so good and I have no idea what it actually IS ugh

Years
I was excited to see a Fakemon Contest last month, and it went over very well! Lots of people and great art!

Ideas for special Fakemon Contest Themes to throw in the mix from time to time.

Silhouette Challenge.

Don't we all love the excitement of newly "revealed" pokemon via silhouettes? Well, I did. Gen 5 starters and Slyveon are a few examples of pokemon that were first revealed in this form. I loved looking at all of the artist interpretations of the unknown shapes in diverse ways.

Essentially a silhouette(s) is given for everyone to interpret. (Not of an existing pokemon)
Spoiler:

Pokedex-Description Challenge:

Artists are provided an entry from a fan-based pokedex entry and then must imagine what the pokemon looks like in through their designs.

Not sure how I feel about these. But, it was interesting see someone try to invision those crazy pokemon plus and minus descriptions.
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Some other non-fakemon ideas:
Design a Gym Layout (might be non-practical if no interest exists. It would be cool though!)
Create a Trainer/Badge

Last edited:

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
OKAY CONFESSION TIME - the only two requests i couldnt finish in my shop were jo's and peitharchia's. Because I didnt know what to do with text in Jo's and Nymph's as I HAD NEVER DONE A VINTAGE THINGY BEFORE OTL. So sorry about that, both of you!

Also i didnt know icontest was up. I shall go check out. Me jelly i cant participate in anything till may end.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
That's okay; don't worry about it. Yeah, doing vintage-themed graphics could be sort of tough, as you'd have to use a lot of gradient maps, color selections, textures, etc. If you don't take your time and rush, though, your result wouldn't turn out too good, like my entry in icontest. ;; Wish I had put more effort into that.

Also, I'm really liking those Pokémon, Fenneking! Though, I think it would have been even nicer if the water-type one wasn't so vivid in terms of color.

Years
Also, I'm really liking those Pokémon, Fenneking! Though, I think it would have been even nicer if the water-type one wasn't so vivid in terms of color.

I probably could have found a better example online, but I think the water one was actually the cutest interpretation of the silhouette, though I am not big on the red and white scarf color either, or that it is even wearing a scarf for that matter.

I like these silhouette predictions too:
Spoiler:

I remember loathing this prediction since I happen to run into it on Google:
Spoiler:

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
Okay, first, holy ♥♥♥♥ tDA, you're awesome. Honestly, I'd like to make a game out of predictions; where someone, like a GM, would draw a silhouette and then it's up to people to fill it in. The winner (based on the GM's word) goes on to become a GM themselves, and so on and so forth.

Second, I'd love to bring back the old One Line Drawing PA game, where fakemons were created be people adding one line (or color) at a time.

Eeeee I have so many fun things I can do omg! We just need MORE PEOPLE TO PARTICIPATE IN ICONTEST DAMMIT. щ(ಥДಥщ)

Third, Dero, I'm so disappointed in you wtf.
Just kidding ilu babe and I only requested text because I wanted to push you, not because I actually wanted it for myself; so you're all good. Promise! <33

Years
Second, I'd love to bring back the old One Line Drawing PA game, where fakemons were created be people adding one line (or color) at a time.

Ooh, I like your idea with the silhouettes in which the winner becomes the GM.

Also, I miss this the add-a-line game. so long as people don't god mod!
You should definitely do it :)

PS: I am terrible with photo editing, so I can enter the icontest, if you are not concerned with going blind from my atrocity!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
bro just enter for real i won with like the worst thing ever like even objectively it wasn't good i had no idea what i was doing lmao you can not be any worse than that

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
PS: I am terrible with photo editing, so I can enter the icontest, if you are not concerned with going blind from my atrocity!

Your entry's great. I really love how soft it is, and its sharpness is just perfect. Though, I think it would have looked even better if it were actually colored. It's just my personal preference, so no worries; it's still good. :]

Years
Your entry's great. I really love how soft it is, and its sharpness is just perfect. Though, I think it would have looked even better if it were actually colored. It's just my personal preference, so no worries; it's still good. :]

Thanks! I wasn't sure. I had a colored one, and I couldn't pick :(

Here was my color one ( I kind of like this one better come to think of it)
vint_zpsa7a34290.png~original

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
Years
everyone should always enter icontest no matter what because it's a good way to practice and think a little differently than what you normally would when making something

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
It's not that tough to make icons either, really. XD" Even if you're not good at graphics, all you have to do is crop an image and maybe alter its color a bit. After that, you should be all set.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
Years
That is true. Although I personally follow that route whenever I'm doing requests or being lazy. :p Serious icons, those that I actually bother to put effort in, are actually as hard to make as tags and take just as much time if not more than any regular tag of mine does.

But bleh, I'm always lazy so most of my icons are simple color enhancements and nothing more lol.

P.S - an average lazy icon of my contains at least 2-3 gradient maps, 8+ selective color adjustment layers and maybe one or two levels/curves adjustment layers and so on lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back