• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Laws that don't make sense

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
Years
  • Are there some laws that you just don't get?

I personally think it's overkill that the minimum drinking age for alcohol here in the U.S is 21, when most countries set the age at 18. I think it looks sillier considering how low the threshold is across the states for most other serious responsibilities like driving a car, using firearms, donating organs or getting married. You're allowed to do all these things before you are 18, and it doesn't have to be with parental consent, but we clutch our pearls over a college student drinking a beer.

Is there a policy that you find bizarre? It could be in your region, or it could be a law in another place.

Years
  • I heard there was a local law in Arkansas which forbade bathing Alligators in bath tubs lol

And yeah the drinking age in the U.S is pretty strange isn't it? I actually started drinking in my teen years and STOPPED drinking in my early 20s as I became less of reckless a party animal.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • In North Carolina, if you see a baby in distress who is unattended baby in a hot car, you're not allowed to open the car door, or break the window to rescue them. You can be charged for tampering with the vehicle and liable for property damage.

The most you can legally do is go looking for the owner of the car, and tell them about it. You can also make a phone call to the police, and wait for them to come and investigate the report.

This stupid and dangerous law makes me mad. Getting someone out as soon as possible could be the difference between life and death. It's just asking for a situation where a child has a heat stroke ...but at least the car was unharmed.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    In North Carolina, if you see a baby in distress who is unattended baby in a hot car, you're not allowed to open the car door, or break the window to rescue them. You can be charged for tampering with the vehicle and liable for property damage.

The most you can legally do is go looking for the owner of the car, and tell them about it. You can also make a phone call to the police, and wait for them to come and investigate the report.

This stupid and dangerous law makes me mad. Getting someone out as soon as possible could be the difference between life and death. It's just asking for a situation where a child has a heat stroke ...but at least the car was unharmed.
    Wow really? Fuck that law. Your stupid car can be repaired, babies can't be brought back to life. And every summer you still see some headline or hear some story about how a baby (or a dog) died because it was left in a hot car too.

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
    • He / Him
    • Home
    • Seen yesterday
    I saw once that in some state in the US (forgot which one) it is illegal to get a fish drunk.

What.

Last edited:
    Years
  • There's another state that deems it illegal to sell baked goods on a Sunday. It's in the Midwest, so I doubt it's being followed.
    There's also another law that prevents someone from tying up a giraffe to a streetlamp.
    My brother and I had a lot of fun looking up weird laws!

Years
  • Apparently in one of our cities you can be fined € 130,- if your dog barks. And if your dog doesn't stop the fine can go up to €2.250,-
    Literally never heard of this before, but then again I don't live anywhere near that city xD

Also it's illegal to imprison a burglar in your home... 🙄

Last edited:
    Years
  • What about killing the burglar in your home?

Canada is weird in that the provinces all do their own thing with little intervention from the federal government unless it's too crazy (like privatizing healthcare). We therefore have a situation where the drinking age jumps from 18 to 19 depending on the province. That said, why 19? It's a bit like the US.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • According to the City of Chesapeake code of ordinances, anyone over the age of 14 who engages in trick or treating is guilty of a Class 4 misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $250. Anyone who trick or treats after 8 p.m. is also guilty of the same charge.

I don't live there, and I'm thankful Maine doesn't do this. I think it's a very stupid law. What if someone severely disabled 25 year old wants to trick or treat? Are they going to really arrest that person for doing so? Come on. I've done my research on this, and it doesn't even seem like they give any sort exception for rules like that. :/ Hell, I'm almost 35... and I still trick or treat. It's an event for ALL AGES. Mostly, people who are probably disabled or just want to get out and be with friends etc. Some people are just so uptight about giving candy to people who are older. It sucks. I get some people are greedy as f*ck but... that's no reason to take it on those that aren't. :(

In North Carolina, if you see a baby in distress who is unattended baby in a hot car, you're not allowed to open the car door, or break the window to rescue them. You can be charged for tampering with the vehicle and liable for property damage.

Seriously? O_O That's so ridiculous. My god... by the time the police got there, the child/baby could be dead by then. >>; If not badly ill from being left in the car.

Back