• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendaries = Big Thumbs Down. Your Views Please!

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    Hey, I know this has potential to cause major controversy but, here goes..... LEGENDARIES ARE NOT COOL.

Yeah for 5 minutes maybe, but once you're past the elite 4, you realise there's more to Pokemon than them. They're nothing special either, due to the availability of them on the GTS, and there are better Pokemon.

In my opinion, Nintendo should make a certain few Pokemon, that are only available via Events; and not as many Legendaries!

I'd like your opinions on this please.

Thanks Jake (:

Iyo

Είμαι μια ζωντανή παραδοξία
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Apr 21, 2010
    I agree, but the legendaries are key plot lines... At least half of the In-Game storyline revolves around them.

Anyways. I'm all for your idea.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I agree. Most of the old ones are coolish though, Manaphy's cute, Darkrai's pure evil, and Shaymin rocks.

If anything, pokes like Jirachi, Lati@s, and Deoxys r rubbish.Mewtwo too.

RocketAdmin.

Custom User Title. :)
    Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2011
    @Iyo - I know, but they should just have a rarer Pokemon in their place or JUST ONE. And on DPPt there are soooooooo many! Thanks for sharing that ^^

@UFA - I agree, Palkia looks terrible as well though. And Shaymin's Sky forme is cool but i hate the Origin.

ArcanineOod

DESU.
    Years
    *looks meekly down at fingernails*

... I like them, for the most part. It's not Nintendo's fault people put them on the GTS. Besides, you can't search for them unless you've already encountered them.

Darkrai and Mewtwo are amazing. Can't argue with Mewtwo's coolness. :P
    (Yeah, yeah, you can. You most likely will, too! XD)

xX

Ayselipera

I think the first and second generations did a good job of just making a few interesting legendaries. The third generation started to stray from that idea and then the fourth generation just spewed a bunch of crap out and called them legendary pokemon. I remember when Legendary pokemon seemed like something really special, but the fourth generation completely ruined that concept for me.

There really wasn't a need for Heatran, Phione, Manaphy, Darkrai, Cresselia, and all the other extras. You really only needed Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina to keep the plot. If you really wanted to stretch it you could of threw in the trio lake pokemon too. I really wish they saved Darkrai and Cresselia for the next game. Some type of moon plot would have been interesting.

SonicThrust

Ice Cream <3
    Years
    • Seen Nov 15, 2013
    To be honest, Palkia is the first legendary I really like. That being said, I think the number of legendaries is now ridiculous. I feel like legendaries in general are becoming less special because there are so many of them. Like back in first gen it was so exciting to catch a legendary since there were only 4 obtainable, whereas in DPPt I get to another legendary and all I can do is think "Oh boy, another one".

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    We can't help it. The more gens, the more legendaries. And for the fact that without legendaries, the game wouldn't be as fun, because they're the "boss" and play a major key throughout the storyline.

If anything, pokes like Jirachi, Lati@s, and Deoxys r rubbish.Mewtwo too.

Don't you dare. The only legendary "rubbish" is Phione.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    In my opinion, Nintendo should make a certain few Pokemon, that are only available via Events; and not as many Legendaries!
    I agree that they should cut down on the legendaries because we're approaching a ridiculous amount of them but... no no no to the events idea! I just can't agree with you on that one! Canada gets gypped on events, as does anyone who doesn't live near a store that does them. :( Sure, wifi's available but it's still such a horrible way to distribute Pokemon.

Anyway, as I said, the number of legendaries is ridiculous. They've gone from being interesting and exciting additions to the game to being frivolous novelties. Back in first gen (and, to similar extent, second gen), it was a big deal to catch a legendary and it made you want to go back to get the rest of them. In Diamond? I accidentally stumbled upon Giratina. I didn't even know it EXISTED until suddenly, I was facing it. :| Maybe that's how some people prefer it but when I start stumbling upon legends I didn't even know about (especially when I thought I'd already encountered all or most of them!), then we have a bit of a problem. ~_~

HallwayKid

The Illogical Scientist
    Years
    In my opinion, the Legendaries are in the game to be defeated. I don't feel right having a Legendary in my party, so I make it my goal to defeat them.

There are a lot of Legendaries around now. Hopefully in the next generation the will reduce the amount of new Legendaries.

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Lets see these are all the legendaries that suck:

Raiku
    Jirachi
    Deoxis
    Rayquaza
    Groudon
    Ho-Oh (come on we all knew someone would mention him)
    Lati@s
    Phione
    Manaphy
    Dialga
    Palkia
    Arceus (waaaay to mega powerful but cool design)
    Mewtwo (come one we also knew he would be mentioned, gets waaay to many honors)
    Shaymin(It looks like one of those Chu-Chu-Chu-Chia pets)

Well thats it. My favorites lean toward more first and second gen.

But its that sigh, the magic of the legendaries have faded after third gen

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
    Trust me, in the games, they suck. You don't need them. Sure, I like most pokemon. (Except Manaphy, who I hate with such a passion, I'd shut off what is showing it. (Except my computer, I just navigate away) It gives me migranes, and headaches from it's appearance and cry, it's that bad.) But to pokemon fanfic writers, if used properly, then they're gold. I don't think there should be more legendaries, but unfortunately, there will be more, as each region has their own set. Hopefully they don't overdo it this time, but since they like making more, I don't count on it.

In fact, here's an idea. Introduce only... one, maybe two legends a game after Gen IV then the legend to normal ratio will seperate more. Probably no one will agree with this idea, but... I'm just throwing it out.

roacherman

Time Guardian
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2010
    Well maybe thats why people catch them like collectables. They hate them, but you could get a good pokemon off a trade with some sucker who is obsessed with "catching them all". I remember I gave away about 5 latias's to a friend on my sapphire game in exchange for some really good and well trained pokemon. Sucker

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    The term 'legendary' is very ambigious and not very well defined, kind of like 'Pokemon master'. Every new generation breaks old fan-given 'rules' for what a 'legendary Pokemon' is:

Gen II: legendaries no longer 'required' to stand still and be battled, they could appear in the wild (legendary dogs).
    Gen III: legendaries can have genders (Latis) and be version-exclusive (Kyogre and Groudon).
    Gen IV: legendaries can have variable genders (Heatran), events can be associated with non-legendary Pokemon (Rotom), non-legendary Pokemon can have changeable forms (Rotom), non-legendary Pokemon can have 'legendary Pokemon' music (Rotom), legendary Pokemon can breed (Manaphy and Phione), two legendary Pokemon can be in the same evolutionary family, for lack of a better term (Manaphy and Phione) and legendary Pokemon can have low base stats (Phione).

Not to mention in the anime Unown are clearly legendary. Meaning that the term varies by canon.

So, this brings me to my point, what's stopping these from being called legendary by fans:

@Iyo - I know, but they should just have a rarer Pokemon in their place or JUST ONE.

And it also begs the question, what's wrong with legendaries? Is ithat people call them legendaries, is it that they too powerful (in which case, you could be saying they should just introduce weaker legendaries, like Phione).

tl;dr legendaries aren't clearly defined.

---

Personally, I like legendaries, they're great sidequests. If there weren't all these legendaries in Platinum, we'd be left with, finishing the Pokemon League, making our way to the Battle Frontier and bam, that's it, no other secret locations or hidden sidequests.

Anyway, as I said, the number of legendaries is ridiculous. They've gone from being interesting and exciting additions to the game to being frivolous novelties. Back in first gen (and, to similar extent, second gen), it was a big deal to catch a legendary and it made you want to go back to get the rest of them. In Diamond? I accidentally stumbled upon Giratina. I didn't even know it EXISTED until suddenly, I was facing it. :| Maybe that's how some people prefer it but when I start stumbling upon legends I didn't even know about (especially when I thought I'd already encountered all or most of them!), then we have a bit of a problem. ~_~

I do prefer talk about the legendaries to be done beforehand. Obviously Giratina was just added ready for Platinum and they didn't bother to give it a good story. But remember, back in Gen I, none of the legendary birds were talked about that much in-game.

---

As for people listing particular legendaries. It's extremely clear that they're just listing their personal favourites when they say Mewtwo sucks. Mewtwo was a necessity, even if you don't like its design or its popularity, it's role (creating an Unknown Dungeon) is too important.

If you were going to make a list of the bare minimum from Platinum, it would have to be:

Mesprit, Uxie and Azelf (obligatory trio)
    Dialga, Palkia and Giratina (title legendaries)
    Heatran (Gen IV's Mewtwo, GSC got Red, RSE got nothing and we all saw how that turned out...)
    Manaphy (obligatory cute obtainable out-of-game legendary)

Personally, I like the amount of legendaries (although I would have liked Cresselia to have an expanded story), but that's just the necessities.

Years
    The term 'legendary' is very ambigious and not very well defined, kind of like 'Pokemon master'. Every new generation breaks old fan-given 'rules' for what a 'legendary
    Heatran (Gen IV's Mewtwo, GSC got Red, RSE got nothing and we all saw how that turned out...)
    Manaphy (obligatory cute obtainable out-of-game legendary)

Now I wouldn't say that Heatran is the "boss" of D/P/P, and Shaymin=obligatory cute obtainable out-of-game legendary. Manaphy is mandatory for the National Dex, in Platinum anyway.

I don't see too much of a problem with the legends. Many of them (Especcially in Gen IV.) are hardly legendary anyways, and aren't that tough (Tough, meaning Arceus, Deoxys, Mewtwo etc.) It seems like the term "legendary" just gets more and more general. They could have just made Pokemon like Heatran, Cresselia, and Shaymin pseudo-legendaries, by giving them pre-evos, and making them more accessible.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    I agree that there are too many legendaries out there, but what I disagree about is that some of those can exist, just not with the legendary status.

One legendary we can do without is Phione, what was the point of that? If it was one of those evolving legendaries, then it would've thrown something unique into the picture, but it doesn't even accomplish that.

Heatran is alright, just not as a legendary, I mean it even has a variable gender for goodness sakes. I don't think it even plays any major part in anything aside from the local Volcano mystery and the fact that there seems to be the first clan created. Can live on as a normal Pokemon.

The same can be said for Manaphy, Shaymin, The Lati siblings, Jirachi, and Deoxys. They can also be considered as legendary as Arcanine and Ninetales; they have some history of a legend behind it, but not actually legendary as such.

As for Cresselia and Darkrai. I guess you can put them in that above group, since its not like they actually are the gods of sleep or anything.

As for the trios, I'd put them as lesser legendaries, not as much as the real deal, but still is kinda rare. Which leaves what I like to call the 10 Kings and Arcesus. Those 10 are pretty much what you'd call real legendaries in some sense, not to mention that if that approach was taken, you're left with about 3 legendaries to every generation.

So: 1 Alpha (Maybe we don't really know the true history behind it, maybe its not the end all one), 10 "King" legendaries, 12 semis and the rest are normalish in a way?

That's my thoughts at least.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    Now I wouldn't say that Heatran is the "boss" of D/P/P, and Shaymin=obligatory cute obtainable out-of-game legendary. Manaphy is mandatory for the National Dex, in Platinum anyway.

Well, something has to sit at the end of Stark Mountain... And I was considering Shaymin, but Manaphy's 'style' just seemed to match Mew, Celebi and Jirachi better. And Shaymin had another form versus Manaphy having Phione. So I ended up going with Manaphy.

@QANTAN: So you're only problem is that people don't refer to them as tiers of legendaries? I think I've heard people say 'uber legendaries' and 'non-uber legendaries' before.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Legendaries are not bad, just overrated by hyperactive prepubescents — but that's their job, marketing-wise.

This defeats the point of the 'gotta catch 'em all' tagline. For that reason I hate event Pokemon.
    Also what's with your explicit size 3 text formatting? It's 3 by default anyway.

Years
    • Seen Dec 6, 2009
    @QANTAN: So you're only problem is that people don't refer to them as tiers of legendaries? I think I've heard people say 'uber legendaries' and 'non-uber legendaries' before.

Well, more in a Offcial sense.

Its bad enough that we're getting legendaries for next to know reason when they could just exist normally without the "Legendary" tag. Would a Pokemon like Manaphy deserve the same status as Dialga for instance? To think that Phione is given the same status offcially as some of the bigger names is sickening.

As for people refering to them as uber and non uber, I think that's what makes it even harder.

I can't think of many people that would seriously consider Phione to be legendary, but where would one draw the line? Do you go with the ever changing tier rankings? If so, would Latios be considered "uber" and Latias "non-uber" (Subject to change), would you consider a member of a trio to be the same status of a major such as Mewtwo or as the same status as the not so major Deoxys? Would Mew be considered a major legendary or share a lower status because its one of the 600 BS Pokemon? It all depends where people draw the line and is the cause of much confusion.

I think that the whole system of Legendaries needs to be looked at and be reclassified. Some will live just fine without the tag without losing any respectability, and in some cases, gain more as a result of it.

Back