• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Legendary Pokémon and their signature moves

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Something that I wanted to discuss regarding Pokémon is a legendary Pokémon's signature moves and a few things that I've noticed about them. Most major legendary Pokémon, which I personally define as legendary, non-mythical Pokémon with a base stat total higher than 600 that are often our box legendaries and/or trio leaders, have signature moves. For example, Reshiram and Zekrom have Blue Flare and Bolt Strike respectively, Dialga has Roar of Time, Palkia has Spacial Rend, Yvetal has Oblivion Wing, Xerneas has Geomancy, and so on. Even some minor legendary Pokémon have their own signature moves such as the Swords of Justice, where Sacred Sword used to be their signature move before developers gave it to other sword themed Pokémon. The thing is, if you noticed, each Pokémon only has a signature move in one type. For example, Reshiram has Blue Flare as a Fire-type signature move, as well as Fusion Flare, but lacks a Dragon-type signature move. As a result, to do a great deal of Dragon-type damage with her, you have to settle for the somewhat inaccurate and hindering move Draco Meteor. Crowned Zacian has the Steel-type move Behemoth Blade as her signature move, but to deal a great amount of Fairy-type damage with her, you must settle with the, yet again, somewhat inaccurate move Play Rough. What do you think about legendary Pokémon having signature moves? Do you think that, from now on, legendary Pokémon should have at least two signature moves for each type if they have dual types? Should the developers just continue making legendary Pokémon's signature moves the same way that they've been making them? Let's talk about it.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Online now
    Supports every legendary Pokemon having a signature move. Adds to the feeling of uniqueness. Hands them out to many normal Pokemon nowadays. Disagrees on the idea of two, however. Bases this on three reasons.

1. Favors legendaries with two types. Leaves Mewtwo, Kyogre, Groudon, Xerneas, and Necrozma behind.
    2. Builds up Pokemon with an existing advantage. Received a lot of stats, by definition. Tends to have a wider movepool than normal Pokemon too. Do the strongest Pokemon need to be even better?
    3. Overlaps on types a lot. Would create 4 Psychic (Lugia, Solgaleo, Lunala, Calyrex), 1 Flying (Ho-Oh), 6 Dragon (Rayquaza, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Zygarde), 1 Steel (Dialga), 1 Water (Palkia), 1 Dark (Yveltal), 1 Fairy (Zacian), 1 Fighting (Zamazenta), and 1 Poison (Eternatus) moves. How would you differentiate six different Dragon moves and make them worthwhile? (Because what is the point of creating a unique move no one uses?)

Would agree with buffing some currently weak signature moves. Should want to use it.

Accepts signature abilities too, particularly for those with weak signature moves. Views Pressure and renamed Mold Breaker as boring. Does not need to be super strong. Create a slightly better Own Tempo, Magician, Torrent, or Big Pecks.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    We have way more legendaries than ideas for creative signature moves, so I think one per legendary is enough. Many legendaries also got Signature Abilities that are literally a copy-paste of an already existing Ability with a name change (like Chilling Neigh being just Moxie with a different name)

Legendaries are special because of their lore, rarity, and stats. I think more signature moves that many players may not ever see or may forget they exist is kind of a waste. I actually didn't realize certain legendary signature moves existed until several gens later.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    We have way more legendaries than ideas for creative signature moves, so I think one per legendary is enough. Many legendaries also got Signature Abilities that are literally a copy-paste of an already existing Ability with a name change (like Chilling Neigh being just Moxie with a different name)

Legendaries are special because of their lore, rarity, and stats. I think more signature moves that many players may not ever see or may forget they exist is kind of a waste. I actually didn't realize certain legendary signature moves existed until several gens later.

You make a great point about their "signature" abilities as well. For example, Reshiram's signature ability Turboblaze is really nothing more than Mold Breaker. That's definitely true. However, when I said legendaries, I meant the major ones, as in the legendary Pokémon with well-over 600 base stat totals that you often see on your box covers, excluding the ones meant to be combined such as Necrozma and Calyrex, (but Reshiram and Zekrom are included because they still have 680 base stat totals regardless), or those that evolve, such as Cosmog and Cosmoem. In that case, there are only like 21 major legendaries, and only like 15 with dual types if I'm not mistaken. I don't think that's too many. Knowing that, do you still think the idea of these 15 legendary Pokémon having two signature moves is too much? Either way, I appreciate your replies.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't think that's too many. Knowing that, do you still think the idea of these 15 legendary Pokémon having two signature moves is too much? Either way, I appreciate your replies.

Specifically for major legendaries (that are actual part of the plot and everyone is sure to encounter in the games) yes, I think it's fine to give them more signature moves if they see fit, especially if these moves are related to a specific gen mechanic or gimmick (like Gen 5 fusion moves, or Dynamax Cannon).

What I don't see the point is in things like giving a signature Ability, plus two signature moves, to a Pokémon like Victini which has no back story and you can't even normally encounter during a playthrough. I had to google what Searing Shot was when I saw a random mon in a Gen 7 randomlocke I watched on Youtube using it.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
    Specifically for major legendaries (that are actual part of the plot and everyone is sure to encounter in the games) yes, I think it's fine to give them more signature moves if they see fit, especially if these moves are related to a specific gen mechanic or gimmick (like Gen 5 fusion moves, or Dynamax Cannon).

What I don't see the point is in things like giving a signature Ability, plus two signature moves, to a Pokémon like Victini which has no back story and you can't even normally encounter during a playthrough. I had to google what Searing Shot was when I saw a random mon in a Gen 7 randomlocke I watched on Youtube using it.

Yeah, I agree with you about the major legendaries having more than one signature move. As for Victini, well, he's a mythical Pokémon, so I wouldn't count him anyway. Mythical Pokémon are meant to be mysterious and even rarer than normal legendaries, which explains why we very rarely encounter them during our playthroughs. For that reason alone, I do believe that each should get at least one signature move and ability if they need it. Like, for example, I don't see why Mew can't have Psystrike and it's own signature ability to go along with it.

Back