• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Let's discuss the new Pokémon: Iwanko and Nekkoala

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
Years
  • New type: Sleep. :P

Everyone is thinking the log will get bigger and carry like the Gen 5 mon. Personally I think its more like a pillow, and possibly something like a bongo drum.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    I was just thinking about Nekkoala. If in a double battle a partner Pokémon uses uproar that means Nekkoala can't sleep. Since it can't be effected by any other status conditions that means you can have potentially a Pokémon that can't be effected by anything. I mean since it can't be poisoned,paralyzed or frozen because of its ability already. If you use uproar it won't be able to sleep either. I think there is an electric move that prevents Pokémon from falling asleep,too,for 5 turns. I think my Spinda [my Spinda is what got me to thinking about this] and Nekkoala are going to get along just fine. :) So looking forward to battling with them together!

Lysandr

"The Greninja"
    Years
  • I can also see Nekkoala use sleeptalk, snore, and even uproar.

I agree.

Correct me if someone already posted this, but does anyone have a clue about what the ability Sure Sleeper will do? At the moment, it seems like Slacking's ability where it hurts you instead of helping you out. Maybe this time, when it sleeps, it regains health like the move Rest.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I agree.

Correct me if someone already posted this, but does anyone have a clue about what the ability Sure Sleeper will do? At the moment, it seems like Slacking's ability where it hurts you instead of helping you out. Maybe this time, when it sleeps, it regains health like the move Rest.

I am not sure if you are talking about 'Definite Sleep' or not, but there is nothing called Sure Sleeper according to Serebii. But it is an ability where only Sleep effects you. So the Koala can't be Paralyzed, Burned, or Frozen.

Also it is possible that the Koala becomes a Normal/Steel. That log could be an Ironwood Tree.

Lysandr

"The Greninja"
    Years
  • I am not sure if you are talking about 'Definite Sleep' or not, but there is nothing called Sure Sleeper according to Serebii. But it is an ability where only Sleep effects you. So the Koala can't be Paralyzed, Burned, or Frozen.

Also it is possibly that the Koala becomes a Normal/Steel. That log could be an Ironwood Tree.

Oh ok thanks. That's strange, I'm looking at Bulbapedia and it says it's ability is "Sure Sleeper." Ok, I guess nothing with "pedia" at the end of it is trustworthy lol.

Years
  • Also it is possible that the Koala becomes a Normal/Steel. That log could be an Ironwood Tree.

Just because it looks like an Ironwood Tree doesn't mean it'll be a Steel-type when it evolves. It could even stay pure Normal for all I care.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Just because it looks like an Ironwood Tree doesn't mean it'll be a Steel-type when it evolves. It could even stay pure Normal for all I care.

i didn't say it looked like one, I just suggested it. And It is just speculation on how we have Norma/XXX types for a while now. And they are becoming increasingly more common. With it being a sleeping pokemon, Steel would be a nice type for it because it will need defense to counter fighting attacks while it sleeps. It would make it vulnerable to fire attacks, but there will always be some draw backs. and Normal/Steel type is a type we have yet to get at all. He will be x4 times weak to fighting, but he steel would help him a lot.

Spinning suggests that it could be fighting, but I am not sure they would make 2 bear fighting types back to back that is known for trees or wanting something to do with trees.

Also every bear in the games have had different typing. He might even lose his normal typing. It is rare that a pokemon does that, but not out of the ordinary. So far we have an Ice Bear, Normal Bear, and a Fighting/Dark Bear.

Last edited:

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • i didn't say it looked like one, I just suggested it. And It is just speculation on how we have Norma/XXX types for a while now. And they are becoming increasingly more common. With it being a sleeping pokemon, Steel would be a nice type for it because it will need defense to counter fighting attacks while it sleeps. It would make it vulnerable to fire attacks, but there will always be some draw backs. and Normal/Steel type is a type we have yet to get at all. He will be x4 times weak to fighting, but he steel would help him a lot.

Spinning suggests that it could be fighting, but I am not sure they would make 2 bear fighting types back to back that is known for trees or wanting something to do with trees.

Also every bear in the games have had different typing. He might even lose his normal typing. It is rare that a pokemon does that, but not out of the ordinary. So far we have an Ice Bear, Normal Bear, and a Fighting/Dark Bear.

What are the mons that have lost the Normal typing completely (not counting the Fairy retcon)?

I know theres:

Swablu who gains Dragon
    Fletchling who gains Fire
    Eevee who gains Fire, Water, Electric, etc.
    Azurill who gains Water

That is pretty rare actually.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • What are the mons that have lost the Normal typing completely (not counting the Fairy retcon)?

I know theres:

Swablu who gains Dragon
    Azurill who gains Water

Didn't mean normal specifically. But losing any type when evolving or changing completely. But here is a list other than yours.

Nincada - loses Ground type but gains Flying type as Ninjask and Ghost type as Shedinja
    Onix - loses Rock type but gains Steel type
    Pupitar - loses Ground type but gains Dark type
    Scyther - loses Flying type but gains Steel type
    Skorupi - loses Bug type but gains Dark type
    Skrelp - loses Water type but gains Dragon type
    Surskit - loses Water type but gains Flying type

Years
  • What are the mons that have lost the Normal typing completely (not counting the Fairy retcon)?

I know theres:

Swablu who gains Dragon
    Azurill who gains Water

It's not a common sight, the best I see happening to Nekkoala is staying pure Normal since I can't imagine many other types that would suit it.

Years
  • It's not a common sight, the best I see happening to Nekkoala is staying pure Normal since I can't imagine many other types that would suit it.
    I can see Psychic fitting it. There's a whole lot of psychic connections to sleep in mysticism and new age spirituality after all. Hmm, Nekkoala having sleeping abilities makes a lot of sense since Koalas sleep most of the day, plus Native Australian religion talks about a Dream realm. Plus Pokémon that are linked to sleep have had psychic such as Drowsee, Munna, and Cresselia (unlike the others it wakes you up). Speaking of Native Australian religion I'll like to see a rainbow serpent.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I was looking at other articles of the corocoro reveals. Some thing Serebii didn't mention are these.

Poke Jungle:
    ~ Iwanko will play a big role in CoroCoro going forward.
    ~ "There is a secret hidden in that little body. In fact, there are also surprising secrets about the starter Pokémon too…!?"

I bolded the little body part due to the fact, that it says in.

Solar Snivy

#TeamRowlet
    Years
  • Oh ok thanks. That's strange, I'm looking at Bulbapedia and it says it's ability is "Sure Sleeper." Ok, I guess nothing with "pedia" at the end of it is trustworthy lol.

It's not that Bulbapedia is untrustworthy, It's probably that the two sites translated it differently. As far as I know, his ability doesn't have an official english name. Personally, I think Sure Sleeper sounds more like the actual name of the ability going off of other naming trends.

Years
  • It's not that Bulbapedia is untrustworthy, It's probably that the two sites translated it differently. As far as I know, his ability doesn't have an official english name. Personally, I think Sure Sleeper sounds more like the actual name of the ability going off of other naming trends.
    Yeah, it's translation difference. And as you said we have no official english translation as of yet, not even of the Pokémon name, nor Iwanko's.

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2016
    I really hope they're real! Iwanko is so cute, and I wanna keep it on my team 5ever.

Unless it's evo line is super weird, but I doubt.
    Yes Iwanko is adorable. I originally planned to buy x&y but when I discovered iwanko I change my mind and want to get the sun and moon. I wanna catch Iwanko as soon as possible

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Maybe Normal dual typing is becoming more of a common thing?

In Gen VI we got Helioptile/Heliolisk as the first Normal/Electric Pokemon and then Litleo/Pyroar as the first Normal/Fire Pokemon. Perhaps Nekkoala will keep its Normal typing but gain a secondary type alongside it.

Back