• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Let's see, you're the Normal type gym leader, so I'll use my fighting types.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    The only time I've done this is when I used Pansear just to beat Cilan (I couldn't get to Route 3, get a Pidove and come back).

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    I was going to do this for Skyla with a Galvantula, but then I remembered my main team has a Zebstrika. Then my Krokorok did most of the work.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I find that in Black and White they held your hand a lot more than in the other games, which facilitates cherry-picking Pokemon for specific battles. When you needed to defeat a Gym Leader whose type was specifically chosen to be good against yours, you're magically GIVEN a Pokemon that can counteract it. When you needed to fight a Normal-type Gym, there is a forest right next door filled with Fighting types. When you need to battle Bug-types, there is a desert full of Darumaka. Chargestone Cave is right next to Skyla's Gym and Cold Storage is right next to the Driftveil Gym.

They are leading us to do that. I think it's good that we're not taking the bait, because it's patronising.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    No, I train a dedicated team of six and use them for the entire game. I do, however, prepare for Whitney in G/S/C/HG/SS by making sure I catch a female Geodude on Route 46 early on. My teams are usually varied enough so that can deal with most Gym Leaders.

Yurusumaji

The Collector
    Years
    Do you train certain Pokemon for certain battles?
    Yes. I actually probably have a team of more like 8-10 Pokémon and 1-2 might get switched around depending on which gym I'm training for. I never bring in a team that is all or mostly super-effectives unless I built my team that way in the first place. I usually have 2 Pokémon in the team that are super-effective and then the rest are just whatever else is on the team at the time.

jcsimpson

Sing into my mouth
    Years
    I never do this unless I'm stuck and on a gym leader, in which case I'll switch out a party member for someone more affective.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
    The two times I've done this have both been to counter-act the Normal type Gym Leader.

In Gold, I was kinda scared of Whitney's Miltank's Rollout, so did an in-game trade for a Machop and pretty much wiped the floor with it. Afterwards, I deposited it right in the PC never to be used again. I didn't feel guilty then, and I still don't to this day.

In Black, I sorta just wanted a Fighting type, so caught me a Sawk and proceeded to level up the crap out of it, in order to fight Lenora and all her library drones. It also worked wonders. I think I kept Sawk for a little bit longer before getting rid of it for a Scraggy. (Ugh... worst decision ever!)

Maelstromk

The Dead Philospher
    Years
    I used to do it in Red/Blue, I'd train a Caterpie until it was Butterfree, so I had a good secondary guy with confusion to help take out Brock if I started with say...Charmander, but even then I'd the Butterfree would usually stay around until I caught Abra

RYOUKI

survive the world.
    Years
    I sometimes do that. Usually when I assemble my team, most of them can't be found till later of the game. So I kinda train Pokemon with type advantage that can be found near the city where I'm now at. I used a Darumakka against Burgh and a Sandile against Elesa so far.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen May 25, 2024
    Do you train certain Pokemon for certain battles?

I've only done it three times.

The first time would be when I trained a Machop I caught earlier to take on Pryce.
    The second time would be when I caught a Timburr for Lenora's gym.
    The third time would be when I trained a Sandile into a Krokorok so I could beat Elesa.

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    No, I hardly ever do that. I tend to stick with the same team throughout the entire game. If a pokemon on my team happens to be strong against the gym leader I won't complain though :P

Years
    • Seen Jul 4, 2013
    I have not done this since the first two generations, the reason, to do so would only make the game less enjoyable.

The object of the different attribute Gyms is to make you a more well rounded trainer, in game story of course. Even the veterans of the series can say that they had some trouble with some gym's leaders. Going out and catching a type that works well against the leader is an easy way out and makes the game go to quickly.

To be quite honest the games Gyms are already easy as is, going out to find one that is strong against a leader makes it quite impossible to lose.

Years
    I mainly go for type advantages so I might train a certain Pokemon to use against a certain Gym Leader.

Back