• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Letting members close their own thread

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    A lot of the time members will post threads asking questions in forums where there no sticky is designated for Q&A. When the question is answered other members will just paraphrase the original answer. So would it make sense for members to be able to lock their own threads?

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • The problem with that is, a thread might start to get active and generate a lot of interest, not just in Q&F but everywhere on PC. Then a regular member could just lock it for whatever reason he or she pleases, legitimate or not. Give everyone that power and you have people creating their own threads just to lock them, making it a nightmare for the staff to control and....yeah, it's a bad idea. Mods are mods for a reason.

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    However, you could make it a donator privilege. Which would lessen the "out-of-control" the mod above me mentions. :D

Sajuuk

http://forum.hpcommunity.co.uk
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2010
    Well, it would be a very high donator tier (5/6)

Aurafire

provider of cake
    Years
  • However, you could make it a donator privilege. Which would lessen the "out-of-control" the mod above me mentions. :D

But supporters aren't supposed to be any more powerful than regular members, just because they donate money to the site doesn't mean they are better than anyone else or can be trusted more. They donated some spare change, that's it. Given the number of PC supporters we have, it would still be a big hassle =(

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    Well it wouldn't really be moderating if Supporters could close their own threads because they would not be able close threads made by other members.

Years
  • Not really. If it needs to be closed, a super mod or above will close it. ):

And, why should supporters only be able to close their own threads? That doesn't seem very fair. You're a supporter because you want to help PC go by donating money, not because of the 'perks' it gives you.

[by moderating, he means the closing of the thread itself. It's a moderation action, regardless of who does it.]

Again, if you want it closed, contact a mod. :) They'll work with you ~

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Good job, you made an admin cry.

I really don't support this idea because I don't see the point. It is easy to be abused and mods gladly do it for you within reason. If you create something goddamn popular, you go out of your mind and close it, you'll cause an apocalypse. Examples include Don't Let the Mod say Zero. Mods need their dose of happiness too.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I never said mods/admins weren't good enough it's actually taking a load off of their shoulders by not having to deal with all the thread closure requests. I don't know how many of these requests are made so I could be overestimating it but it seems like a good amount from what I've seen.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Wait... so you mean I can't use this extra banhammer or close-thread mace? (okay the 2nd one was a lame idea... XD)

But yeah, I'd just stick with reporting threads, in fact at times I think I report too much >.> But sometimes it hast to be done. Some people don't realize they can report their own thread to get it closed, and instead VM/PM a mod, which is usually slower...

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • I never said mods/admins weren't good enough it's actually taking a load off of their shoulders by not having to deal with all the thread closure requests. I don't know how many of these requests are made so I could be overestimating it but it seems like a good amount from what I've seen.

Really... the amount is amazingly small. Specially since the only boards where threads can be closed on request have several mods assigned to them.

LightOfTruth

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2020
    I would never let members close their own thread on my own message board. Its my and the other mods job. Same for here minus me being the admin :)

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I agree with the staff, the ability to close even your own threads can be gravely abused to the point of destructiveness. Imagine the damage a butt-hurt member who owns a LOT of critical and/or active threads can do to the forum if they're upset. Quite a lot.

Naturally, I do agree that it's always very simple to ask a moderator to close a thread for you. This requirement is not unreasonable.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    That would be a dire mistake. Then I wouldn't have to do anything except clean up the spam. EDIT: And I meant on my forum.

But, even so, I have nothing to do, so I troll* here instead.

Spoiler:

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
  • I would never let members close their own thread on my own message board. Its my and the other mods job. Same for here minus me being the admin :)

That would be a dire mistake. Then I wouldn't have to do anything except clean up the spam. EDIT: And I meant on my forum.

This thread has really given people the prime opportunity to make it very clear that they own their own forums.

You guys who are having trouble reaching the mods to get a thread closed could always do what I do; Cover your eyes, plug your ears, and avoid it like the plague. Who cares if people are still replying to it? If you can't see it then there's no reason why it's gotta exist to you. (:

Back