• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Level 50 Online Battles

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    I have been search everywhere from YouTube to on google and can't seem to really find my answer so I thought I could ask on here and get some feedback.

My buddy and I are trying to start up a pokemon game from either our 2DS or Nintendo Switch. The issue is I'm seeing we are capped off at level 50 and can't go anything beyond that. Is there a rule in there where we can change to where we can play any pokemon at any level from 1-100??

Thanks for the help!

Aaron

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Which game are you playing?

For Sun/Moon: Go to Festival Plaza. Hit the big red "Battle" button. Select "Link Battle". Choose Single Battle, Double Battle, Multi Battle, or Battle Royal. Select your friend.

Then, choose the battle rules. Do it when you decide the battle rules.
    • Normal rules: Sets all Pokemon to level 50.
    • Flat rules: Sets all Pokemon above level 50 to level 50.
    • No restrictions: Keeps levels as they are. (Probably wants this one.)

May differ by game. Should be similar, though.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I have been search everywhere from YouTube to on google and can't seem to really find my answer so I thought I could ask on here and get some feedback.

My buddy and I are trying to start up a pokemon game from either our 2DS or Nintendo Switch. The issue is I'm seeing we are capped off at level 50 and can't go anything beyond that. Is there a rule in there where we can change to where we can play any pokemon at any level from 1-100??

Thanks for the help!

Aaron
    Letting you know that I moved your thread! :)

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Good Morning! Yes, that is exactly what I'm looking for. Does this apply for X and Y as well? My friend and i have Nintendo 2DS. Will that be okay. I don't think that would change a thing but thought i ask anyhow.

Do you know if Pokémon Legends: Arceus has this as well?

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    I see. So which games exactly can I battle my buddy and his pokemon be whatever level and mine as well?

I just read Sun and moon does on the 2 or 3DS. Does that go for Black and White or Ultra Sun and Moon…. Maybe X or Y as well.

We tried on our Nintendo switch. He was playing brilliant diamond and i was playing shining pearl but when we battled online… it wouldn't allow us to go past level 50. If i had pokemon above 50…. It shoot them right back down to 50.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl: Sees something about Colosseum in Brilliant Diamond/Shining Pearl. Go upstairs in the Pokemon Center and head to the counter on the far right. Set the battle type (Single, Double, Multi...). Places you in a room. Walk into your empty squares. Starts the battle preparation once everyone is set. Picks rules then.

Note: Added the Colosseum Mode in patch 1.2.0, supposedly. Released that around late February in 2022. Should have that already. Mentions it just in case.

Ultra Sun/Moon: Tested it between Ultra Sun and (normal) Moon, so yes.

X/Y: Open the PSS. Select your friend. Hit "Battle". Brings up the rules immediately. Finds the same Normal Rules, Flat Rules, and No Restrictions as above.

Black/White: Looked it up on Serebii. Says both Flat Rules and No Restrictions exist for WiFi battles.

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Such a huge help! Thanks so much for clarifying for me. I just wanted to make sure. We tried this once with pearl and diamond and it was a fail. We were both disappointed.

Days
    • Seen Oct 29, 2023
    For Pokémon Sun and Moon, here's what you need to do: Head over to the Festival Plaza and locate the prominent red "Battle" button. Click on it and choose "Link Battle." From there, you can pick between Single Battle, Double Battle, Multi Battle, or Battle Royal and select your friend as your opponent.

Now, it's time to determine the battle rules. You have a few options:

Normal Rules: This option will adjust all Pokémon to level 50.
    Flat Rules: If you choose this, any Pokémon above level 50 will be set to level 50.
    No Restrictions: This option maintains the levels of your Pokémon just as they are. You probably want to go with this one for more flexibility.

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Hi there. Sorry to bother! Another question i had. Does Omega Ruby have no No Restrictions Rule as well?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Hi there. Sorry to bother! Another question i had. Does Omega Ruby have no No Restrictions Rule as well?

Should have the No Restrictions rule available. Checked by starting a battle between Y and Omega Ruby. (Sidenote: Uses Kalos's rules, which prevent items/moves/Pokemon specifically added in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire.) Still contains the options for Normal Rules, Flat Rules, and No Restrictions.

Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Interesting so you can actually like Y and omega sapphire together and battle?

Note: what if one person plays omega ruby and someone's else plays alfa sapphire… can they do the wifi battle with no restrictions?

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Interesting so you can actually like Y and omega sapphire together and battle?

Note: what if one person plays omega ruby and someone's else plays alfa sapphire… can they do the wifi battle with no restrictions?

Yes. Views both X/Y and ORAS as part of Generation 6. Linked their Wonder Trade systems too. (Prevented a person with X/Y from getting an ORAS-exclusive Pokemon move, though.)

Should be able to. Found this video of two people playing the ORAS games. Skipped over the battle rules. Figures it out based on the battle. Fielded a team of six each, with a level 10 Whismur and a level 11 Poochyena as their leads. Cannot be Normal rules (as they are not level 50) or Flat Rules (given both sides with more than three Pokemon). Must be No Restrictions.

Last edited:
    Days
    • Seen Nov 22, 2023
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I really like the starters for Omega Ruby and the other Sapphire game. These new ones they are coming out with on Scarlett are boring :/

Back