• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Leveling up in Kalos is hard!

Shrew

is a Shrew
Years
  • I'm still in story mode, so I can't say all that much. However, I was in the Lumiose Juice Shoppe the other day, and they had a drink offered that gives a pokemon a free level-up, I think for only $10,000. Not sure how frequently that pops up though. Although so far the Exp. All has allowed me to raise a 6 member team with higher levels in the middle of story mode than the 4 member team I had in BW2 story mode... that's just for story mode though, and wouldn't apply for when one is raising pokemon individually after story mode.

ramibas299

GOTTA CATCH EM' ALL!!
    Years
  • I levelled faster in this game than any other past game. Exp. Share just makes the difference.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I didn't have much trouble with my Y game, but it impossible for me to keep my team up in X. My Azumarill is the only one I don't have trouble with, she's in her 50s while the rest of my team is low 20's. The EXP share has been on since I've gotten it and hasn't helped at all.

I have had a much easier time keeping my levels balanced on the older games than compared to what I'm doing on X.

Really it seems to be based on how you play cause in all honesty, the previous games were easier to level on than X and Y for me.
    Curious, but what did you do different in Y that you aren't doing in X that makes it harder to level up now? Considering how they're the same game give or take a few things, it's interesting that one would find it easier to level up in than the other. Which does lend one to conclude that it's all up to how you play. So, what's your two different styles of playing between the two that's making it harder than before?

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Guys, :3 it isn't that hard to level up in the Pokemon X and Y series! :O we have the "new" Exp. share that will not boost just one extra single Pokemon, no, your entire team will level up and receive some Exp! May not be a whole lot, but still speeds up the process of levelling up your Pokemon.

Then, in combination with proper and clever use of your Lucky Egg AND the Exp. Share, accepting every challenge in the Battle Maison, several restaurants/cafes and trainers in alleys in Lumiose City for example, you will experience a "boost" of levelling up your Pokemon really fast! (you could do this every single day or even, every single few hours!)

Don't forget playing with your Pokemon in Pokemon Amie and taking good care of them will give them an Exp. boost in battle too!

Therefore, also when you use the Wonder Trade a lot for example, and receive lots of Pokemiles, you can exchange these for lots of Rare Candies. Not the most efficient and maybe desired way, but also an effective and quick method to level up your Pokemon real fast.

So, I can't find myself at all in the statement that Pokemon are hard(er) to level up in these series of games. I remember it was much harder to level up your Pokes in the G/S/C series (because of the lack of trainers when you got to the Pokemon league and wild Pokemon there weren't that... "high" in level, took some time to train there!), and believe me, I have played every Pokemon game several times, and think this Gen. makes it A LOT easier (and offers more opportunities) to level up, fast! :3

Years
    • Age 23
    • No.
    • Seen May 1, 2014
    It is actually very easy. If you want it to be easy, it will require a tremendous amount of patience.
    Well I'm very impatient but somehow I got control of it...
    We have the Marchioness and Duchess in a furisode who have two Audinos who give a significant amount of Experience Points in the Battle Chateu.

We even have the improved Exp. Share, the Lucky Egg, Pokémon-Amie, Restaurant Le Wow in Lumiose City and the Gym Leader, Elite Four and Champion rematches. Just use the Black Writ of Challenge, it will be easy.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2016
    Curious, but what did you do different in Y that you aren't doing in X that makes it harder to level up now? Considering how they're the same game give or take a few things, it's interesting that one would find it easier to level up in than the other. Which does lend one to conclude that it's all up to how you play. So, what's your two different styles of playing between the two that's making it harder than before?

Interestingly I have in some ways my experience on both have been different, and I have to agree with you it is all in how you play that creates the different experience.

It took my longer in Y to reach and defeat the Elite Four than in X. This was because for the main story I do not heavily focus on leveling up many Pokemon, I try to just develope a well rounded team more or less based on luck of who I find. Once I've started leveling up one particular Pokemon of a specific type I do not switch to a different one later even if it is "better". For example. In both game I caught a Pikachu early on that was my electric type for my entire journey. I picked a different starter in each and my starter stayed with me the whole time, and I picked a different Kanto Starter from the proffessor, which also stayed with me the whole time.

Like most people in this thread are stating it felt easier to raise a Pokemon up to at least Level 50 with no issue. I found it to go so quick that the title of the thread raised an eyebrow for me.

Wondering though: WHy has no one suggested just going to a grassy area and using sweet scent over and over to attract wild Pokemon? That is no more or less boring than fighting the same NPC trainers over and over. And as far as the NPC trainers. The restaurants may "seem pricey" but use the Amulet Coin, then sell the items given as prize and you'll end up well ahead of yourself. I did this a few times onRestaurant Le Yeah... The cost to get in is 15,000, but with the amulet coin your earnings back is just over 20,000. Selling the big mushrooms you get back nets you an additioanl 50,000.

§1

Rocket grunt
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2022
    i had a level 100 by the time i went against the E4 for the first time. sure, it was from a trade (got it at level 1), but that's still too easy imo.

Skybro

Pure Epicness.
    Years
  • Actually,once you get $100 000 pokedollars/$90 000 and go to the Le Wow restaurant,they practically [highlight]GIVE[/highlight] you money.
    You get some from battling the people who work there(I think so.) and you also get some from selling those mushrooms they give you after you finish battling.
    Once you get the money,you can battle again.
    This process gives you more money AND to level up fast.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I haven't had much hard time leveling-up my Pokémon at all, to be honest. Most of the time, I battle around at the restaurants in Lumiose. I get tons of experience points by battling in these places... not only that, but I also get rewarded with mushrooms before leaving. By selling these items, I get to earn dozens of cash as well. Aside from that, I also do horde battles every now and then, as well as participate in a few matches at Battle Chateau. d:

Cameo

Superior heat protecter!
    Years
  • I don't understand how you could have hard time leveling up? O_o My team was all at level 35 before I even challenged the second Gym. And when I reached Elite Four they were all at level 70 atleast. :P Just find to right place and way to grind. IMO this is the easiest you can go with leveling because if you lower the bar anymore GF could just give us free Rare Candies to use.

DynamicD

Metagross Fan
    Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2015
    I may sound like an electricity hog here, but I put something heavy on my Dpad, put 2 pokemon in the daycare, and circle around Lumoise tower while I sleep. I had two competitive teams ready to go in 6 days.

Phangy

Master
    Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2014
    I may sound like an electricity hog here, but I put something heavy on my Dpad, put 2 pokemon in the daycare, and circle around Lumoise tower while I sleep. I had two competitive teams ready to go in 6 days.

sounds slower than just normal training

The Shiny Ho-Oh

Golden Bird
    Years
  • I don't understand how you could have hard time leveling up? O_o My team was all at level 35 before I even challenged the second Gym. And when I reached Elite Four they were all at level 70 atleast. :P Just find to right place and way to grind. IMO this is the easiest you can go with leveling because if you lower the bar anymore GF could just give us free Rare Candies to use.

They DO give us free Rare Candies to level. Pokemiles. I hatch a few boxes of eggs, then wonder trade them away, and I can get myself a few rare candies. Now, it may not seem like much, but these are rare candies that I didn't have before.

Also, I didn't find out about Pokemiles until the end of the game, and I was able to get over 70 Rare Candies. It's ridiculous.

sounds slower than just normal training
    And worse for the D-Pad. However, it does require less effort.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    o_o

I was almost over-leveled the entire time, and it made the game so easy... xD;

I kinda wanna go replay it, and go a bit slower with my leveling, because I feel like it wasn't much of a challenge.

Years
  • *slaps Lucky Egg on lvl 1 Mawile*
    *activates Exp Power lvl 3*
    *run through Le Wow*

lvl 50 and ready to battle on wifi, It's easier to level up in this gen

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    *slaps Lucky Egg on lvl 1 Mawile*
    *activates Exp Power lvl 3*
    *run through Le Wow*

lvl 50 and ready to battle on wifi, It's easier to level up in this gen

Just one run in Le Wow?

...If so, I've been leveling wrong. Gonna try Le Wow on the next Pokemon I need to level.

Back