• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LGBT (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transexual) anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Colleges specific to LGBT would pretty much be a waste (it's the same reason you don't see a female only college or black only one)
    There are women's colleges, or at least there were until very recently. I think they're all private schools.

My university has a LGBT resource center. It's also broken up into smaller colleges that all the students are loosely associate with and the one I'm with is the art college as well as the unofficial LGBT college. It's not exclusive (you don't have to be queer or an art major) though it does tend to attract more of the queer kids. It's a very open college.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    My college doesn't really have an LGBT club. There is a "Sexual Diversity" or whatever club, but it isn't really an LGBT club.

I hope whichever university I transfer to does... =/ I feel so alone on the campus. lol

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'd hate to end up at NYU or such schools. They breed liberalism which I hate with a passion. I'm looking for private Christian or Jesuit schools or some school that embraces conservative ideals.

I think they still have all women and all black private schools. Ever seen the Black College Tour on BET?

Sotto Voce

woohoo!!
    Years
    Sigh. Another thread like this =3=;
    They sprout up from time to time :c

I'm gay. I've only recently been open IRL about it, but I've admitted it to myself for the past 6 or 7 years lol. (:
    Personally, I'm for gay marriage. I want to get married one day. I want to adopt children one day. I want to have a somewhat normal life. Except with a guy. D:
    Is that too much to ask? ):

I'm straight, but I am for gay marriage. I just don't see anything wrong with it and I have a few gay friends and so I sympathize and I have a good understanding these things. I don't know if that's something you guys want to hear from someone like me, but I thought this would an appropriate post.

So I'm not anti-LGBT!!!!

Years
    I'd hate to end up at NYU or such schools. They breed liberalism which I hate with a passion. I'm looking for private Christian or Jesuit schools or some school that embraces conservative ideals.

I think they still have all women and all black private schools. Ever seen the Black College Tour on BET?

I'm not trying to be racist at all, but what white person do you know that watches BET?

Fox♠

Banned
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 16, 2011
    My college doesn't really have an LGBT club. There is a "Sexual Diversity" or whatever club, but it isn't really an LGBT club.

I hope whichever university I transfer to does... =/ I feel so alone on the campus. lol

Sexual diversity covers lbgt. I don't see why you feel you deserve a seperate club that excludes hetrosexual people. Are we not allowed to express ourselves as well?

Years
    Sexual diversity covers lbgt. I don't see why you feel you deserve a seperate club that excludes hetrosexual people. Are we not allowed to express ourselves as well?
    Sexual diversity would cover LGBT, but it sounds like quite broad term and, as it's been pointed out many times, being LGBT isn't just about sex. An LGBT organization would be a place where you could talk about coming out to your friends and family, for instance. Not many straight people have to worry about this. It might also be hard for people still in the closet to confide in a group that included straight people. Not saying that's wrong or right, but it could happen.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years

I have to agree with you on this one.

At my school, we have a;

Gay
    Straight
    Alliance

However, it covers all the sexualities such as bisexual, pansexual, transexual, and whatnot aswell.

I believe this would be the kind of club you were looking for, Mr. Fox?

I assume that LGBT clubs would let heterosexuals in too for "allys", such as the GSA does, but if not, that really is, may I say, stupid.
    If you're trying to promote anti-bigotry club, why prevent some to join the group?
    That's bigotry in itself.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    Yeah, I believe it is for anyone who is interested in LGBT either just to be around the same type of people, or because you want to fight for them.

(in completely unrelated news, I just bought $300 worth of clothes)

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'm not trying to be racist at all, but what white person do you know that watches BET?

Sexual diversity would cover LGBT, but it sounds like quite broad term and, as it's been pointed out many times, being LGBT isn't just about sex. An LGBT organization would be a place where you could talk about coming out to your friends and family, for instance. Not many straight people have to worry about this. It might also be hard for people still in the closet to confide in a group that included straight people. Not saying that's wrong or right, but it could happen.

Plenty of white people watch BET. I'm Mexican-American and I watch BET.

Also, an LGBT organization wouldn't do any good to exclude heterosexuals. Most heterosexuals who join clubs like GSA are homosexual-friendly so aren't prone to make hateful comments or create a hostile environment. I'd assume that people who believe homosexuality is wrong wouldn't be intereseted in joining GSA unlless they're trollin'.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    About the issue of excluding straight people, well I don't think too many of these clubs would outright reject a straight supporter. I know the "sexual diversity" group at my college told me I could join even if I was a straight supporter.

It's just that the club is for issues that LGBT people exclusively deal with. It's not there to exclude straight people, it's more of a support group. Are you opposed to support groups as well?

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    About the issue of excluding straight people, well I don't think too many of these clubs would outright reject a straight supporter. I know the "sexual diversity" group at my college told me I could join even if I was a straight supporter.

It's just that the club is for issues that LGBT people exclusively deal with. It's not there to exclude straight people, it's more of a support group. Are you opposed to support groups as well?

You don't know their circumstances. They could have an LGBT relative or close friend who is having a hard time and want info on how to support them. Or the heterosexual could be questioning their sexuality.

Last edited:
    Years
    I don't know about anyone else, but the title "sexual diversity" feels like it would cater more toward people into S&M (and I don't mean Strategies and Movesets) or other fetishes. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with fetishes. Everyone should be free to do all the consensual whatever they want. It's just not the kind of support group someone might be looking for so a specifically LGBT-oriented club still seems necessary.

And on a separate note, I came out to two of my friends the other day. They were pretty supportive. I'm transgendered, by the way.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I don't know about anyone else, but the title "sexual diversity" feels like it would cater more toward people into S&M (and I don't mean Strategies and Movesets) or other fetishes. I don't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with fetishes. Everyone should be free to do all the consensual whatever they want. It's just not the kind of support group someone might be looking for so a specifically LGBT-oriented club still seems necessary.

And on a separate note, I came out to two of my friends the other day. They were pretty supportive. I'm transgendered, by the way.

Um not to seem rude. But how does someone come out as transgender? Did they not know you used to be the opposite gender at one time?

Years
    Um not to seem rude. But how does someone come out as transgender? Did they not know you used to be the opposite gender at one time?
    I'll try not to take that as rude.

I tell them that even though they see me with the male body I was born into it's not what I am. I expect that's generally how it goes for everyone who's transgendered initially. You see, I haven't done anything outwardly that would give me away. Well, nothing overt. Nothing that made anyone suspect (though I did get a kind of "that makes so much sense now" comment). Being transgendered is something I am, not something I do so I can hide it like anyone else.

Weatherman Kiyoshi

~Having one of THOSE days
    Years
    Congrats, Scarf! It's so great that your friends are supportive :D

It really is good, some "friends" who can know you for years on end, will gladly spit in your face if you're anything but heterosexual or non-transgendered.

This kinda thing is interesting, because it's stupid.
    I mean, you're parents will say "no matter, we'll love you", but if they're bigots and you're gay or whatever, they'll kick you out and call you a disappointment to the family when you come out to them.

.....what?

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    So true. Plus, that's a really bitter way of finding out who your real friends are.

And upholds the theory that everything your parents tell you as kids turns out to be utter BS.

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    I'll try not to take that as rude.

I tell them that even though they see me with the male body I was born into it's not what I am. I expect that's generally how it goes for everyone who's transgendered initially. You see, I haven't done anything outwardly that would give me away. Well, nothing overt. Nothing that made anyone suspect (though I did get a kind of "that makes so much sense now" comment). Being transgendered is something I am, not something I do so I can hide it like anyone else.

So how is someone transgendered if they haven't had any gender reassignment surgery?

Last edited:

Kon~

Follow your dream to the end ~
    Years
    So how is someone transgendered if they haevn't had any gender reassignment surgery?

Transgendered isn't just about whether or not you have had the surgery. It's more about if you feel you are in the wrong body etc. and transgendered people prefer to live as the gender they feel they are more comfortable as, regardless of surgery.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back