• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Long overdue return to Johto

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    It's been 13 years since we last had a game set in Johto, making it the main series region with the least recent latest appearance. This is unfortunate. In my opinion, Johto has some of the most compelling lore. I also felt it was never fleshed out to its fullest potential due to rushed timelines and ties to Kanto. On the flipside, its proximity to Kanto makes for easy added content. I think it's due for a return. I know some people have suggested Legends or Let's Go for Johto, but I have another idea entirely. Please feel free to share your ideas or comment on mine!

My idea: A main series game that begins in Kanto with a Johto post-game, set 10 years after the conclusion of the events in GSC. This would also allow us to do a Johto playthrough that is more challenging, as the difficulty/leveling curve in the original games was a major weak point. This would also allow for a more fleshed out region, as cities could be expanded and more routes could be built to support a higher regional population. I'd love to see a Johto that is pseudo-open world, somewhere between the originals and what we have with Galar and Paldea. This idea would also allow for an obligatory return to Kanto since we'll never be able to escape that first gen bias anyway.

Let me know what you think or provide your own ideas!

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I'd be fine with a Johto sequel (or really a sequel to any of the regions' games really), but I'd do without the Kanto part. Let Johto stand on its own and be the focus rather than be tethered to Kanto again.

Years
  • People always talk about a legends 2 being about unova
    False
    Make it about johto, theres alot of lore and whatnot you could do with that. Ho-oh, the dog trio, and the burned tower alone i feel could be the basis for something

Years
  • I'd be down for both Legends: Celebi and Let's Go Marill.

I'd kinda prefer a Johto without Kanto as well.
    They could add some new areas like FRLG did with the Sevii Islands to make grinding less of a chore and have more to explore.

Years
  • Your idea is a lot of fun - a kind of game that I think would be ideal for me. GSC were special because of the two regions and while I know it was originally meant to be the final game, it was still an incredibly fun experience going through two familiar places that I'd love to see again. Maybe with a bit more fleshing out for the second region's gyms since GSC was not that good at making the Kanto gym leaders strong or interesting.. :') Though their sprites were great.

Years
  • I love Johto and HeartGold & SoulSilver breathed new life into Johto and I have always felt it was the most forgotten region its hardly ever mentioned and alot of the Pokemon from Johto are very underrated and I would love nothing more than returning to that beautiful region again and if we ever do return to Johto I really hope that Contests return as I have always loved winning them and seeing them return in BDSP made me really happy.

Whitney & Clair are the hardest Gym Leaders in Johto and my favourite places are Cianwood City, Blackthorn City & Ice Path.

These were the teams I used on my very first playthrough's of HeartGold & SoulSilver.

HeartGold

Feraligatr
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Magcargo (Egg hatched as a Slugma from Primo in Violet City)
    Ariados
    Steelix

SoulSilver

Meganium
    Noctowl
    Ampharos
    Houndoom
    Donphan
    Hitmontop

This was my team on my 2023 playthrough of HeartGold

Typhlosion
    Skarmory (Traded egg over from SoulSilver)
    Lanturn
    Sunflora
    Heracross
    Granbull

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • If we revisit Johto, I'd rather we not have Kanto in it, too. I want a game where Johto can just stand alone. But, I don't think it's likely to happen. We're likely revisiting Unova next. Maybe someday, though, but, I just don't know. I feel like unless it's a Let's Go game, it's never going to happen.

Sweet Serenity

Advocate of Truth
    Years
  • I would love a new Pokémon game taking place in Johto. However, I want it to be an original game rather than a remake . We don't need to keep playing remade versions of Pokémon Crystal over and over again. Instead, we should be able to play new games that take place in previous regions to see how they changed over time and how they would look in the new 3D era. Also, I want Johto to stand on its own instead of sharing its existence with Kanto. In the previous, Johto didn't even have it own Pokémon League, as it shared it with Kanto. Perhaps in an updated Johto, it can have its own Pokémon League, along with other changes.

Back