• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Magic: Individual Card Discussion

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Another week, another card.

Ethereal Haze - W
    Instant - Arcane
    Prevent all damage that would be dealt by creatures this turn
    "Imagine a dove flying through smoke. Does the dove injure the smoke? Does the smoke impede the dove?" -Teachings of Eight-and-a-Half-Tails
    9/306
    Common - Champs of Kamigawa

OH YEAH! HOLY DAY POWER! Okay, functionally identical remake of holy day this is.

Stats:
    It's the exact same thing...except now it's got the arcane type tackled onto it. What does it mean? Uhh...8 copies of holy day? More splicing for you? I don't know.

Card Potential:
    Seriously, this won't win any matches for you, but the control player gets another holy day to toy with (tho STILL nothing tourney worthy like moment's peace). This one's got arcane. :P

8/10

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    See the mass mana production really makes it end up going the T&N route again.

btw, nobody's gonna be helping out wit my standard deck, are they? *sigh*

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    New week, new card! In commemoration of Kamigawa!

Captain Sisay 2GW
    Legendary Creature (no creature type)
    T: Search your library for a legendary card, reveal it, and put it into your hand. Shuffle your library afterwards.
    2/2
    Rare - INVASION

Oooo! The Captain Crunch is here! Probably the only legendary creature to ever be able to do this kind of thing ever again, so pick her up while she's still cold! Current market price for her is rising from the Kamigawa rush (like from a buck to 2!!!!!)!

Stats:
    Well a 2/2 for 4 with multicolour is of very low value. Yup essentially a 2/2 for 5. Also the problem is that she's (yes Sisay is a cool chick) a mix of white and green, probably the worst combination of the allied colours (not to say that something like wakeisn't broken or anything, but green/white generally do least well of the allied colours). But who cares for a 2/2 for 5 IF the character can tutor every turn for free (Note for free and note that she has to be able to do anything first before CA is generated).

Card Potential:
    So what can you do with the cool chick? Well search for your legendary stuff, of course. Yeah, such a narrow tutor, yet she's unrestricted like the Legendary Tolarian Academy. Oh look, I'll be looking for my only copy within my deck. :P Then again, you're probably better off with Gaea's Cradle with her case. So what can you do with her? She can fetch you lands to mana fix. She can fetch you creatures (specific creatures) if you need them. She can even look for the rremaining Kaldra Equipment if you need them. Yes, she an easily generate massive amounts of card advantage...yet she still below average. Of course, if she's in the Kamigawa era, she'd cost like 3, making her insanely broken (yay!).

So yeah, she's got the power to look for anything. The restriction is that theyhave to be legendary. Just so happens there are tons of good legendary lands, legendary artifacts, and legendary creatures to look for (we'll get back to legendary enchantments once they have more than 5). Oh shoot, she can fetch you the 5 shrines too. Oh my...

Yes, she's a card to build around, and the "lost but seeking" chick wouldn't be too far away from Sisay either. And then The Omipotent guy probably follows (or the power gamer sending the Omnipotent there) to generate even more CA! Personally I feel lucky to have a copy of her to remind myself of the good days when legends ruled, and with Kamigawa's insane block of legends...you betcha! Ugh, If only Legend was still a creature type...

W/Kami and Legends: 8/10
    W/o: 2/10
    Anything else: 4/10

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    woohoo!1 of my favorites(in my kamigawa deck)

Today i shall put another Member of the Weatherlight ^_^

Gerrard Capashen 3WW
    Creature-Legend, Now Legendary Creature - Human(or so it would b considered that XP)
    At the beginning of your upkeep, you gain 1 life for each card in target opponent?s hand.
    3W: Tap target creature. Play this ability only if Gerrard Capashen is attacking.
    3/4
    Rare - APOCALYPSE

Stats: Probably best used for the magical power of Life-Gaining. Although it comes at least 5 turns, The opponent will probably still have their hand in check(u get mana screwed for a long time and they got a lot of mana, it'll only b a matter of time b4 they get their hand out of the way). The 2nd ability is also pretty powerful, although the cost for it.....a bit high eh? but if you can get all their creatures out of the way, then you can mass attack without fear of being blocked.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    T&N: 9/10 We getting them for 10 bucks apiece, which is lower than simulacrum.

This week...on bonus stage...

Extraction U
    Sorcery
    Search target player's library for a card and remove that card from the game. Then that player shuffles his or her library.
    Rare - Odyssey

Eeek! POWERHOUSE!

Stats:
    For 1, you get to look at your opponent's deck, jot down what's in it, define what is the most powerful threat, and kill that threat...all in turn 1. Wheeeeee!!!!!

Combos:
    The most blindingly obvious ones are cards that fork it. Sadly cranial extraction is a better choice for the forking, so extraction...will not be as useful there.
    But it's BLUE. It's a card that costs 1. Think of it as a sorcery cog...okay yeah eternal witness with shard. lol

Card Potential:
    You know what scares the crap ou of me? A first turn lightning bolt from an expert player. That means I have 4 turns to live. That had nothing to do with the card. But a first turn extraction scares the crap out of me too, since I absolutely know that my chances of drawing threats have just gone down. That and also the fact that most likely the grindstones, millstones, etc. are not far behind...and counterspells...*shiver*

9/10
    Tho its obviously a better card when you don't know the deck, it's still in its own league in comparison to cranial extraction. Why? It's turn 1, costs 1 mana, and you know definitely what's in your opponent's deck the FIRST turn, not the 4th turn.

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    You....son of a gun!

w00t!

Okay next card:

Asuza, Lost but Seeking 2G
    Legendary creature - Human monk
    You may play two additional landson each of your turns.
    1/2
    Rare - CHK

So simple...yet so elegant.

Stats:
    The ability is 2x exploration. This means you're paying 1 for a 1/2 body, and 2 for 2x exploration. That's cheap.

Combos:
    Obviously this, exploration, and moonfolk all have something in common with each other. lol

Card Potential:
    Your mom has card potential. No seriously, this chick can wreck havoc on the world. Think of this with cruicible + cycled decree of annihilation or something. Okay seriously, I can't think of much about my favourite card in the set. lol

So why is it my fav. card? Its sheer elegance. It's got an extremely cool ability with so little words. I just absolutely love this card and whoever designed it is sheer genius.

10/10

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    The GOD of magic returns! No seriously, mox emerald will never come back.

Anyway:

Birds of Paradise G
    Creature - Bird
    Flying
    T: add one mana of any colour to your mana pool.
    0/1
    Rare - various, but in every core set EXCEPT 9th

Oh crap! Control has birds of paradise! Actually I wanted ot rate this card? No. I just watned to say that the birds are migrating to Control. Does that really mean it's going to be a multicoloured set? 90% likely. Stay tuned!

digi-kun

Hourai NEET
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Mar 12, 2018
    I guess ill take another COTW(havent been here for a while)
    Myojin of Life?s Web 6GGG
    Legendary Creature - Spirit
    Myojin of Life?s Web comes into play with a divinity counter on it if you played it from your hand.
    Myojin of Life?s Web is indestructible as long as it has a divinity counter on it.
    Remove a divinity counter from Myojin of Life?s Web: Put any number of creature cards from your hand into play.
    8/8
    Rare Champs of Kamigawa

pretty broken with the ability especially when you do the Iname Combo
    personally, i like this cuz of divinity stuff(although i hate the character in the book{cant wait for Toshi to get a card =3}

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    Green myojin: Errrr.....O_O. Too bad it costs so ridiculously high and with absolutely no way of easing of the pain for the ability...However, our buddy here is one of the only 2 myojin with beef to back the indestructability (black one doeesn't count). Iname combo is too slow...*sigh*

7/10

Kenny_C.002

Welcome to Rokkenjima
    Years
    wrench Mind BB
    Sorcery
    Target player discards 2 cards unless he or she discards an artifact card
    common - mirrodin

This is one of the better commons out there. esp now, this card can show its true potential: 2 cards discarded for 1 cost less than mind rot. This might not seem much, but that means 2 more cards discarded by turn 3. And that is a lot...5 cards total! (turn 1 duress/ostracize, turn 2 wrench, turn 3 unburden/mind rot). It's a good alternative to hymn (which also discards 2 for 2) for the poor.

9/10

Back