• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Man claims he will burn Koran in lieu of 9/11

Ayselipera

I think it's extremely disrespectful of him to do that. The Koran doesn't teach violence and most Muslims aren't terrorists. Burning it just proves that he is ignorant of true Muslim teachings and true Muslim followers.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    I would like to clear up that he's not contradicting himself because Jesus is in the Koran. Adding one's own thoughts to the Word of God and calling it the truth is condemned. The Muslims may recognize Jesus as having existed, but they have their own spin on who he was and what he did, and set up Muhammad as a prophet greater than him.

So there's that. Doesn't make the pastor dude reasonable, or a good example of a Christian, or any less of an attention... hog.
    But "Jesus in Islam" is not why he's a hypocrite.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    Actually, the guy is a pastor and he's making his entire church burn as many copies of the Quran as possible.
    Full article here: [i can't post links :(]
    Wow, it's the "us against them" mentality - so mature, so respectful, and so unlike the exact Muslim extremists he's "protesting."

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    I didn't seem to mind what he was doing, like so many people condemn Christians yet they're scared to say a bad word against Muslims as they fear them, yes, the terrorist. But after reading this:

Hardcore Christians are supposed to nag our asses about how if we don't follow all these rules, we'll go to hell. Not disrespect the religion of others. Incidentally the complete freakin opposite of Jesus's teachings. Freakin nice world we have here.

I hate the guy now. You are not helping our cause! T__T

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    The whole idea behind this is stupid, because the September eleventh attacks happened not because of 'radical Islam' but instead because of the horrendous foreign policy the U.S. government had in the Middle East. Including the existence of military bases in Saudi Arabia with which bombing runs on Iraq were launched on average of every other day during the Clinton administration, and the navy was positioned to blockade Iraq which caused the needless deaths of hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.
    U.S. foreign policy that allows Israel to abuse the people of Palestine was also another catalyst for hatred that caused the suicide attacks of September 11.
    None of it had anything to do with any religion on either side, sure, the attackers might have said something about their religious beliefs here and there in between all the real motivations, but... that's precisely what it is. It's something that's beside the point.

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    I didn't seem to mind what he was doing, like so many people condemn Christians yet they're scared to say a bad word against Muslims as they fear them, yes, the terrorist. But after reading this:

I hate the guy now. You are not helping our cause! T__T
    Not all Muslims are terrorists bro. Hell, the large majority aren't.

Also lmfao at thinking burning a bunch of holy books is a legitimate "cause" that will do absolutely anything to help anyone anywhere (except anger extremists and just get more Americans killed by them). Fighting fire with fire is almost always never the best policy when you're dealing with religion. Or extremists that will die for their religion.

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2024
    Sadly that's the point: religious people (not just ultra!) usually don't like it when people burn their sacred books, specially if those people live in the same country that is holding a few wars against said religious extremists, who keep saying that the US hate them for being islamists and think it's their duty to destroy the US and the Western world as a whole. It kinds of, you know, proves their crazy point ._.

I don't know, it is going to be a hate feast for the Taliban. It's not only immature, since it's a really stupid (but legal) way to protest against something that even contradicts the own guy's religious beliefs, it's also dangerous for the security of the US and their NATO allies in Afghanistan, and only helps the extremists in Pakistan, Iraq and Iran @_@

...oh and yeah, don't turn it into Christianism VS Islam. There are many other things to talk about here.
    Thank you Went for, intead of locking this thread, because it is to some degree a religious topic, closely monitoring it so that we can discuss it maturely.

@Above
    Nice pun, fighting fire with fire, get it, burning? Fire? *sigh*.
    A lot of our country is just Islamophobia, if you can accept that on the rare occasion that there is a terrorist, Muslims are generally not terrorists, and are nice, peaceful people. If you can accept that, we can live happily, and you are cured from this horrid phobia. Sorry if anything in this post offends you, but I thought it might be slightly valuable to this thread.

Last edited:

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    Even if every Qur'an were burned, destroyed etc., it means nothing.

The book has been memorized top to bottom by a good chunk of the Islamic population. ._.
    There's also the wonders of the Internet. I expect there'll be a huge spike in the number of transcriptions online if everyone just went on a burning spree - and as long as the transcription of the original text is there, the books can keep being read, and keep being printed.

Not that that's a bad thing at all, it just proves burning them is pointless.

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    There's also the wonders of the Internet. I expect there'll be a huge spike in the number of transcriptions online if everyone just went on a burning spree - and as long as the transcription of the original text is there, the books can keep being read, and keep being printed.

Not that that's a bad thing at all, it just proves burning them is pointless.

Unless you want to be considered an intolerant bigot nation-wide.

Then do it. :D

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Guys, guys, guys...

If an idiot burns a Koran, so what? Does that have any effect on Christians, Muslims, Hindus, or anyone else?

Why should it?

Let the guy burn a book. I know it's symbolic and holy to the Muslims, but...

I think it's safe to say that the Bible and the Cross gets abused frequently too. -_-

Sonic65

welp
    Years
    Guys, guys, guys...

If an idiot burns a Koran, so what? Does that have any effect on Christians, Muslims, Hindus, or anyone else?

Why should it?

Let the guy burn a book. I know it's symbolic and holy to the Muslims, but...

I think it's safe to say that the Bible and the Cross gets abused frequently too. -_-
    I don't think it's so much one guy burning a book as much as it is the general impression it'll give off about Americans to the Islamic world.

I mean, even in this thread on a Pokemon forum, we have people saying most/all Muslims are terrorists based on the minority who did horrible things. Many Muslims will probably feel the same as they do when they hear that people in the US have been burning their holy book.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    I'm pretty sure most Muslims have a negative impression of America, anyway.

If we don't do bad things, then they'll be propagandized anyway.

Yes, that's probably stereotyping, but I tend to lean more towards the Conservative side of the Middle East issue.

ThatKidMike

yall fuccbois
    Years
    • Seen Oct 16, 2013
    Most ironic story of this year. This dude is taking such a radical, with horrible logic. Idiot. This is why Christians have the rep they have. Did I mention that this dude was laid off from a church he founded because he was taking the money from offering and spending on himself.

And what kind of idiot would think this would work to convert others to Christianity?

HEY, CONVERT TO CHRISTIANITY! I'LL GIVE YOU THE OPPORTUNITY BY BURNING YOUR HOLY BOOK!

Murmansk

Weebus Maximus
    Years
    I'm pretty sure most Muslims have a negative impression of America, anyway.

If we don't do bad things, then they'll be propagandized anyway.

Yes, that's probably stereotyping, but I tend to lean more towards the Conservative side of the Middle East issue.

Of course they have a bad impression of Americans, The U.S. government is occupying their land.
    If the U.S. government hadn't done bad things in the first place then the American people wouldn't have the problem of hatred from the people of the Middle East.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Meh, let the guy do what he wants.

He isn't hurting anybody.

I don't see what the big deal is about this.

Me thinks a good portion of Muslims won't see it that way. D:

If he pisses them off, and they decide to overreact.. it's bad news for our troops that are over there, as well as a chunk of the USA. > >; Keyword there is 'if' of course, because they might just call him a stupid America, and let it slide. Or at least we can hope.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    Of course they have a bad impression of Americans, The U.S. government is occupying their land.
    If the U.S. government hadn't done bad things in the first place then the American people wouldn't have the problem of hatred from the people of the Middle East.
    If the Brits hadn't wanted to rape Iran, none of this would have happened in the first place.

However, there's no point in arguing over the past. And yes, it is Britain's fault. Look up the CIA coup of Iran. It's not pretty.

What we need to focus on is the LESSONS from the past, the present, and our plan for the future.

shot571

I guess you have to be a muslim to really get it. I know what everyone is saying and all but the thing is that Muslims don't treat the qur'an as a book. If you see the amount of respect given to it it's crazy. That's why they're so pissed off. And the thing is that even though i don't like saying terrorists are like Muslims but I'm pretty sure they will be pissed which is not a good thing. I know that the Islamic countries should not judge America on this one guy but TBH they probably will. Sorry I cant really build on the book thingie. Maybe another person/Muslim who better with words can do q better job than me.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
    It's not the book, it's the message that's important. I could burn twenty thousand books in my back yard, but God is still God (Or Allah, if that's what you prefer to call him). I could say "God is dumb" two million times, but that does not diminish His power.

The message, not the physical print.

Back