• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Man-Made Pokemon...Is it Right?

Miss Doronjo

Gaiden
    Years
    This is a question based off of some debates I've been in whether or not cloning was considered appropriate. But cloning is but one of the issues addressed to pokemon; you know; people make artificial pokemon from species like Mew, to create Mewtwo, or pokemon like Castform from the weather institute.

Say your living in the Pokemon world, where people make pokemon such as this. What I want to ask you is:

Do you believe it is ethically correct to clone pokemon, or make artifical pokemon?

You might want to consider a pokemons individuallity, etc.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    i dont know about living breathing pokemon, but virtual reality pokemon are ok to make (a porygon never hurt anyone right??:laugh:) but even if you do create a live one, they still have their own individuality....

Seeds Horizon

Gotta love that feeling~
    Years
    No, not really. I have a huge problem with it..I think its cruel, and unjustified. Look how Mewtwo turned out...Such a cute Poke..Yet so cruel. I think people only did it to satisfy their own greed, whether it to be money, power, fame..whatever. Castform I think was made to influence the weather, which is trying to control things we should not control. I think things like that should be left well enough alone, since many problems can and most likely will arise.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I like all the artificial Pokémon (except the Gen 5 ones just because I dislike most of the Gen 5 Pokémon).

What I don't like are the Pokémon that are based on man-made objects. Voltorb's alright (mainly because of nostalgia), but pretty much all the others are just stupid. That includes Rotom's alternate forms. I like my Pokémon to be creatures that could have feasibly developed in the wild, not "something in the cupboard with a face on it".

Something about Castform's origin story doesn't sit well with me. A bunch of guys at a weather facility actually creating a non-virtual lifeform? I just find it unlikely.

Years
    • Seen Mar 10, 2013
    Yeah I do it all the time by unplugging the ethernet cable in the Pokémon Center.

You gotta delete the ones that don't turn out so well though - last week a friend of mine tried it and he got cut into garbled strips whenever he walked next to a pokémon.

Last edited:

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Hmm... I think that (speaking in terms of this fictional universe) it's okay for the most part. The experiments that produced Porygon, and probably Castform went off without a hitch and were more-than-likely quite humane. Pokemon that have their roots in nonliving material suddenly coming to life, while being accidental and somewhat freaky, seem pretty content. Spirits inhabiting objects, like Bannette and Claydol probably don't have to be worried about. The only ones that I'd have had a problem with producing are probably Mewtwo and Genesect. Maybe Golette/Golurk and Regi/rock/ice/steel/gigas were problematic, because they appear to have been manufactured by humans through some manner of sorcery.

Crystalized

Waiting For RSE Remake
    Years
    As long as the "experiments" are humane and the episode that the pokemon is featured in doesn't cause seisures, they are fine.

Also, I wonder how the "anicents" of Unova built Golett and Golurk.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2011
    Nope, I think the Pokegod should be the only one to create pokemon, not that the cloned don't have a soul, it's just probaly was not that souls time!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    IMO, it's okay to make Pokemon if they want to introduce new species, but only for as long as those Pokemon have their own free will and aren't made for research purposes.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    If it like Porygon that have multi purpose like traveling data network to clean viruses and malware, travelling into space or to prevent network intrusion, I think it's okay. But if it like Mewtwo, cloned to be a psychic monsters that purposed to be the ultimate weapon(pokemon) or Genesect, that's not right because its too dangerous fpr human and the pokemon itself.

~Ryukaa

total nerd
    Years
    Ah, I don't know. It really depends. If it's a machine Pokemon, like Porygon, Voltorb, etc. I wouldn't mind as much. But Pokemon that are Flesh and Blood, yeah. It's wrong.

Shadess

King Of Sarcasm.
    Years
    Castform?

How about Castform?
    its a frendly man-made pokémon, and it helps us!

But, look at the bad sides.
    Grimer & muk...

:/

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I, for one, support horrific laboratory experiments on Pokemon that culminate in the creation of man-made Pokemon. Then again, it should be noted that I have the ethical standards of Cipher from Colosseum/XD so that may affect my opinions on the matter.

Niprop

The Fighting Porygon Team
    Years
    Porygon was little more then a harmless little experiment, a simple being of light and data that would result in the spark of something massive. As it has been stated that Porygon somehow contains structures compatible to Mew's DNA within its coding, that must mean that like Mewtwo, Mew's DNA was converted into data used in some way and then manipulated (and locked) to be able to function into a being restricted by its own "genes" (if such a term can even be used to describe Porygon's structure.) From there, experiments rose to higher and higher heights, resulting in the eventual creation of beings like Castform and Mewtwo, as well as various beings which are the result of industrial waste merging with a strange source of light in order to create them, such as Grimer and Voltorb (in fact, Vanillite, Claydol, and many more Pokémon are stated to have originated in a similar manner, possibly hinting some connection).

Pokemon such as Mewtwo, Genosect, and to a lesser extent Porygon-Z are the result of people exploiting such new-found biological and cybernetic engineering, creating creatures which far outpace Pokémon formed by natural means, Pokémon who can hold their own against beings worshiped as deities and feared for their power, and effect the world on a global scale with their abilities. This power however, is limited to a select few individuals, and as each being is either unable to reproduce offspring of equal power or sterile entirely, there are means to restrict such Pokemon from causing damage to their maximum ability.

Another issue other then modified Pokémon goes back to Porygon, and it's apparent ability to reproduce with Ditto. As stated before, Porygon can only function in the ways its program allows it to, making it a clumsy and predictable Pokemon reflecting its experimental nature. But its ability run on energy entirely obtained from external sources for an almost indefinite period, the fact that it has no predators at all, and the fact that it can adapt to just about any environment, all with next to no biological needs, means that any encounter a released Porygon would have with a Ditto could potentially be chaotic to the regional ecosystem. Porygons would quickly over-run entire biospheres, clotting them up and intruding into natural Pokémons habitats, and due to their resilient nature, would be extremely difficult if not impossible to remove in a large enough scale to reverse any damage already dealt. In deed, releases of Porygon in Sinnoh and Unova might some day result in unfortold consequences in the future...

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
    Years
    I love all of the artificial pokemon there are so far.

But I would not support the creation of new pokemon. It could mean terrible experiments and pokemon cruelty. There would be a Pokemon Peta! xD

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I treat Pokemon like humans. I don't really think it would be nice to clone or create a Pokemon, it just isn't right.

shengar

♥ Mikan Enthusiast ♥
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2013
    Porygon was little more then a harmless little experiment, a simple being of light and data that would result in the spark of something massive. As it has been stated that Porygon somehow contains structures compatible to Mew's DNA within its coding, that must mean that like Mewtwo, Mew's DNA was converted into data used in some way and then manipulated (and locked) to be able to function into a being restricted by its own "genes" (if such a term can even be used to describe Porygon's structure.) From there, experiments rose to higher and higher heights, resulting in the eventual creation of beings like Castform and Mewtwo, as well as various beings which are the result of industrial waste merging with a strange source of light in order to create them, such as Grimer and Voltorb (in fact, Vanillite, Claydol, and many more Pokémon are stated to have originated in a similar manner, possibly hinting some connection).

Pokemon such as Mewtwo, Genosect, and to a lesser extent Porygon-Z are the result of people exploiting such new-found biological and cybernetic engineering, creating creatures which far outpace Pokémon formed by natural means, Pokémon who can hold their own against beings worshiped as deities and feared for their power, and effect the world on a global scale with their abilities. This power however, is limited to a select few individuals, and as each being is either unable to reproduce offspring of equal power or sterile entirely, there are means to restrict such Pokemon from causing damage to their maximum ability.

Another issue other then modified Pokémon goes back to Porygon, and it's apparent ability to reproduce with Ditto. As stated before, Porygon can only function in the ways its program allows it to, making it a clumsy and predictable Pokemon reflecting its experimental nature. But its ability run on energy entirely obtained from external sources for an almost indefinite period, the fact that it has no predators at all, and the fact that it can adapt to just about any environment, all with next to no biological needs, means that any encounter a released Porygon would have with a Ditto could potentially be chaotic to the regional ecosystem. Porygons would quickly over-run entire biospheres, clotting them up and intruding into natural Pokémons habitats, and due to their resilient nature, would be extremely difficult if not impossible to remove in a large enough scale to reverse any damage already dealt. In deed, releases of Porygon in Sinnoh and Unova might some day result in unfortold consequences in the future...

Well, this one indeed is a good read. I don't think that any Porygon would have been release to the wild since their number is rather limited to researcher(I think) and they will just go to Stand By State if they received no order except for Porygon-Z, which probably start wreaking havoc upon release on computer network. So, Porygon will only copy themselves via breeding with Ditto if someone told them to do so(yes, put a porygon and a ditto in daycare is indeed an order, but an implicit one)

Back