• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
    Years
    Map Name

Odale Grove

Map Game

Poke'mon Dissension

Comments

Ok, so I was thinking I would post my Map here. It is not done, but I think you people will disect it and let me know what I need to add to fill up the space (since I am having a bit of trouble) and help me fix some parts that are poorly done.

The bridge is a cool modification to the map I think. It lets your character jump over it which till tie into the storyline with the professor, who is clearly not as young as he used to be.

north of the cave on the south east part of the map will have grass above it, since it looks funky plain, I just haven't gotten around to adding that yet.

As you can see there is a lot of empty space that needs to be filled, so if you think something will fit well in them let me know, cause I am kinda stuck with what I should put in at this point.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated, especially C&C.

Last edited:

amtrax

Pheonix will rule the world...
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2010
    hi im new to hacking and was wondering whether someone could rate my map. Its my version of pallet town, based to a certain extent on the pallet town of the anime. it only uses the fire red default tiles.

map name: pallet town
    map of: fire red
    map: see attachment

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
    hi im new to hacking and was wondering whether someone could rate my map. Its my version of pallet town, based to a certain extent on the pallet town of the anime. it only uses the fire red default tiles.

map name: pallet town
    map of: fire red

Hmm... not terrible... FAR to much open space, but seeing on how it was based on the anime this makes a little more sense... I seem to remember Delia's (Ash's) House's fence being more square... but the geography from the anime's / movies seems to differ often...
    (I mean, in Pokemon the Movie 2000: The Power Of the One, there was a long, white fence that went from Ash's house, West, and did not seem to ever circle his home... though my memory has been a bit fuzzy lately, I could be wrong...)

You should really get a windmill sprite, or tile animation set, and throw it in... wait, you just started hacking... Well, for a newbie attempt, I think it is pretty good, it resembles the anime better than most Pallet town maps I have seen in a while. (Most of the anime based ones have the houses spaced together to close, I mean, if you WATCHED the show since you were a kid like me, and still watched it today, like me, you would know, that there are no visible houses from Ash's house... well, none that are close enough to just take a 15 second walk down the road, like most people seem to map...)

I'll give you a 6.5
    Not great, and the waterfall, is odd... there is no water spewing rock/mountain thing in Pallet town. LAWL.
    Keep practicing, you have potential.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Map Name

Odale Grove

Map Game

Comments

Ok, so I was thinking I would post my Map here. It is not done, but I think you people will disect it and let me know what I need to add to fill up the space (since I am having a bit of trouble) and help me fix some parts that are poorly done.

The bridge is a cool modification to the map I think. It lets your character jump over it which till tie into the storyline with the professor, who is clearly not as young as he used to be.

north of the cave on the south east part of the map will have grass above it, since it looks funky plain, I just haven't gotten around to adding that yet.

As you can see there is a lot of empty space that needs to be filled, so if you think something will fit well in them let me know, cause I am kinda stuck with what I should put in at this point.

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated, especially C&C.

I find all the open green grass rather refreshing, but it would be annoying to the player to walk through a featureless lawn to get to the next house. One solution is to simply move all of the map elements closer together. Pull the topmiddle building down, and pull the topleft and topright buildings closer to the centre. You would still have some green space in the middle, which could be filled in with some flowers or trees on a patch of dirt. The sign should be in the middle of that. It looks rather orphaned at the moment. You could even give the town paved streets.

The round bushes by the topmiddle building look nice, but I don't think they belong anywhere else. Bushes don't grow round naturally. To my mind, these ones have been trimmed by hand, so they should be placed only around the front of buildings, not off to the side or by mountains. However, I see a lot of people using them everywhere as a third variety of tree, so it's really up to you. The flowers are scattered around rather randomly. They might look better in groups as flowerbeds beside houses.

Is the ledge on the right really necessary? The way it's placed right now, it's impossible for the player to use. He can't get onto it or jump off. And how is the player meant to access the tall grass above it? Is there a back door to the lab?

The bridge looks kind of strange. I guess if it's a plot point, you have your reasons to keep it the way it is, but I'm wondering how the inhabitants of the town deal with a bridge that's a little too short.

Now for the south half of the map. The hedge looks out of place to me, because the public path in front of the houses makes it look like the hedge is also on public property. I think it would look better used as a fence around the sides and front of the house.

The short fence on the south side of the river looks very lonely. Who put it up? What is it meant to fence in?

The rest of the space can be filled up with trees and flowers in profusion. Is there a route to the south? If so, it can go around the houses and turn down, and you can fill up more space with fences, maybe even tall grass. If that doesn't do it, the mountain and cave can be moved left, or the space leading to it can be filled with a labyrinth of trees, to make it look like a forest cave. Don't forget to use the 2x1 trees for variety, and not necessarily in pairs.

Tony the Awesome

mi nombre es tony
    Years
    • Seen Mar 13, 2010
    Map game: Pokemon Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends
    Comments: suppp

Old Versions of my Maps: Don't rate these
    Barkree Town:
    Spoiler:

Nature Village:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
    Map game: Pokemon Ruby Destiny Reign of Legends
    Comments: suppp

Old Versions of my Maps
    Barkree Town:
    Spoiler:

Nature Village:
    Spoiler:

New Versions
    Jiku Town:
    Spoiler:

Kidate Village:
    Spoiler:

Barkree Town
    Tiles
    The tiles are pretty good, however don't look very natural, because of the houses.
    (The blue top one) I'll give It a 6/10

Palettes
    I don't live the palettes very much, they clash with eachother, (The trees and the flower),
    Because somethings are soo bright, the map looks untatural.
    I'll give this a 2/10

Vegetration
    The vegetration looks TOO unatural, look at how you placed the flowers, and I can only
    see one bush :\ This gets a 4/10

Tree placement
    This map gets really square around the left side of the map. Well this means Its sloppy.
    This part gets a 6/10

Overall I'll rate this a 7/10

Most of your maps have the same problems, If you are even hacking again, please
    fix this. It's a big problem.

Years
    Rate.

Map Name: Floracia Brooke
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Enigma
    Credits: Xiros - tiles, rhevarhe_duh - tiles, pey! - tiles

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

The first route in my hack.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Floracia Brooke
    Tiles
    The tiles are pretty good, they look and should feel natural. I would be happy
    to play through a hack with a enviroment looking like this.

Palettes
    I love the palettes, they go with the tiles, and give the hack a elegant touch.
    everything goes together well, and nothing looks odd, or un-normal.

Vegetration
    The vegetration is perfect. They are spread out nicely, and put together nicely.
    the bushes look a little weird, however the flowers look.. Godly.

Tree placement
    This map is not square and and not so jagged. Its perfect. Obviously you
    took your time with this map.

Overall I'll rate this a 9/10

I like the new tiles, I can't wait to see what building tiles you insert next.
    Good luck.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Sasquatch, I rated your town on page 119.

It's the starting town, right? I don't have a lot to say about it. No-one hangs around in the starter town, and not much is expected of it.

That dirt path looks yummy. You have good taste. The flowers are a nice change from the usual.

The 2x1 trees look a little out of place due to the texture. The round bush at the end of the top fence is also kind of strange - bushes are used for landscaping, so why is it at the end of the property? But I'm just being picky.

The only thing that really bugs me is how close the forest is to the town. It gives me a sense of claustrophobia. Littleroot Town is much more open in comparison.

Years
    Map name: Route 102 (probably temporary)
    hack of: ruby

Map Rating/Review Thread

This was just a practice, I might use it in my hack depending on what people think of it. Route between Oldale and Petalburg edited.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map name: Yellowhive City
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: Firered English (BPRE)
    Mapshot:
    Watch out! Big image!
    Spoiler:

Commments:
    - The yellow spots on the floor are honey trails. You can slip on them.
    - The building on the middle-top of the map is the entrance to Amber Woods.
    - The building on the right-top is the Rocket Warehouse. It's not supposed to catch attention, so the city people treat it as an abandoned building.

PokemonBroski

I'm Back for Good!
    Years
    My Map

This map is going to be in my hack Pokemon: Thunder Yellow and is a re-make of Viridian Forest.
    I'm new at hacking(well with mapping not hacking) and I haven't quite figured out how to add different tiles because I noticed alot of people insert tiles I have never seen in the game. But here is a decent map that I spent a couple hours on. I might add different tiles and re-map this.

map name: Viridian Forest
    map of: Firered

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Map name: Route 102 (probably temporary)
    hack of: ruby

Map Rating/Review Thread

This was just a practice, I might use it in my hack depending on what people think of it. Route between Oldale and Petalburg edited.

It doesn't look like you changed much. At least, I immediatly thought of Route 102. And the changes you've made aren't very player-friendly. Instead of being in clumps, the tall grass is scattered everywhere, making it much more difficult to go through the route without stepping in it. That can be really annoying to the player - the route between Slateport and Mauville was always my least favourite.

The ledges don't play any role in the route. In Nintendo maps, ledges are typically a barrier that prevent the player from accessing an area from the south. When going back the other way, ledges often allow shortcuts that are freer of tall grass. Your ledges don't do much. They aren't a barrier, because the player can walk around them, they don't create one-way traffic, and they aren't in grass-free areas.

Why did you want to edit this route?

This map is going to be in my hack Pokemon: Thunder Yellow and is a re-make of Viridian Forest.
    I'm new at hacking(well with mapping not hacking) and I haven't quite figured out how to add different tiles because I noticed alot of people insert tiles I have never seen in the game. But here is a decent map that I spent a couple hours on. I might add different tiles and re-map this.

map name: Viridian Forest
    map of: Firered

I've never liked Viridian Forest. It's so large and maze-like, and to explore it fully you have to fight a million wild Pokemon. On the other hand, your version of Viridian Forest...takes those features to the next level.

The route in general seems bigger. The concentration of tall grass is higher, with smaller grassless patches. There's a boulder maze on top of a rock outcropping that will have most people gnawing their fingernails. And you've added an underground section to the route...so much for a stroll through the forest: you need to do some serious spelunking to get to the next city. Oddly enough, you've made the route one-way: because of the ledge at the exit of the cave, the player can't return.

My advice to you is to put this route in your hack and play through it. Time how long it takes you without using the original map as a reference.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map name: Yellowhive City
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Base ROM: Firered English (BPRE)
    Mapshot:
    Watch out! Big image!
    Spoiler:

Commments:
    - The yellow spots on the floor are honey trails. You can slip on them.
    - The building on the middle-top of the map is the entrance to Amber Woods.
    - The building on the right-top is the Rocket Warehouse. It's not supposed to catch attention, so the city people treat it as an abandoned building.
    Please, how can I improve?

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
    Please, how can I improve?

The overall feel of the map isn't bad, but it doesn't look like a city to me. First, there's a clump of trees in the middle of it, meaning anyone who wants to get from Point A to Point B has to walk around it. No city would put up with that. Even a town, I think, would cut the trees down and put up houses there. Second, there's no bridge across the river. How do people get to the warehouse? How does Team Rocket get to the warehouse?

There also aren't any streets or fences, which are normally found in cities. Instead there are dirt paths and trees almost in the middle of those paths. The random trees and bushes make it look like a village in the middle of untamed wildnerness. The houses on the left side seem randomly situated on the paths, with no regard for yard space. Again, cities normally have houses in straight lines. They also have houses close together, to save space.

The position of the gym particularly irks me. To reach the entrance, the player first has to squeeze between the hedge and the forest, then walk around a tree right by the entrance.

The warehouse boxes seem a little too large compared to the houses. In fact, they're almost the same size as the truck in Hoenn. It might be best to use 1x1 boxes instead, and stack them neatly beside the warehouse instead of spreading them around like obstacles (unless you're going for a box maze).

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    The overall feel of the map isn't bad, but it doesn't look like a city to me. First, there's a clump of trees in the middle of it, meaning anyone who wants to get from Point A to Point B has to walk around it. No city would put up with that. Even a town, I think, would cut the trees down and put up houses there. Second, there's no bridge across the river. How do people get to the warehouse? How does Team Rocket get to the warehouse?

There also aren't any streets or fences, which are normally found in cities. Instead there are dirt paths and trees almost in the middle of those paths. The random trees and bushes make it look like a village in the middle of untamed wildnerness. The houses on the left side seem randomly situated on the paths, with no regard for yard space. Again, cities normally have houses in straight lines. They also have houses close together, to save space.

The position of the gym particularly irks me. To reach the entrance, the player first has to squeeze between the hedge and the forest, then walk around a tree right by the entrance.

The warehouse boxes seem a little too large compared to the houses. In fact, they're almost the same size as the truck in Hoenn. It might be best to use 1x1 boxes instead, and stack them neatly beside the warehouse instead of spreading them around like obstacles (unless you're going for a box maze).
    Sure, thanks!
    Maybe I'll re-map it..

Poke_a_Dialga!

EXAMS TESTS AND EXAMS QAQ
    Years
    Map name: Hendai Town
    Spoiler:

Hack: Pokemon Cintrine
    Rom: Ruby

Map:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map name: Albainy Town
    Map of: Pokemon Royal blue
    Base rom: Pokemon Fire Red Version
    Map shot:

Map Rating/Review Thread
    The map looks very good, the path is a little straight at some points, and the sea could have more rocks. The tree placement is good, too. I would personally give this map 8/10. It's good, but it could be better.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back