• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
Years
  • some block erros on the montanins but the lake and the montanies look realy good and natrual the roads are good I like how you used more than one tree but all your trees are right next to each other it looks square an un natrual

8.6/10

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • okay acorse thers no circles but a good mapper gives the illusian there is
    i will take some screen shots and show you what you should fix okay

okay view these pics
    lI made red boxs to show you stuff
    maphelp.png

Last edited:

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Map Name: The Rossdale Path

Map Game: Pokémon Fire Red Version

Comments: I worked hard on it, so please rate constructively ^_^

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • the top part is square but I could see if you were going for a big clif so I will let that go,the beach is blocky and un natrual but its not that bad. Very empty in some part the trees are a lned square to fix that look at my early post (post #4443)

overall 5/10 your not bad but theres a lot of problems

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years

Not gonna bother writing out a long rating this time since NA already pointed out most of the obvious things. Blocky cliffs, especially the top ones, beach is a bit blocky, and some of the tree lines are too square. In addition, the playability of this map, were it to be inserted into a hack, would be close to zero because of the numerous ways you could exit the map. Even supposing that there are maps to the left and right, the open sea also poses a significant issue unless the player never gets Surf. Also, on another note, I personally suggest avoiding creating patches of wild grass and other playable details in places that the player isn't going to be able to access anyways. There's one or two mountains like that in your map with no stairs connecting them to the rest of the route. I'd say watch out for stuff like that!

However, overall the map is a good effort. The palettes don't really clash, there's a significant variety of vegetation tiles used to make the map more detailed and creative, and overall I also get the feeling of the kind of terrain you want to create and portray with this map. Not bad, just work on the things we've pointed out! Best of luck to ya.

Final rating: 4.5/10

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Spoiler:

Not really a name yet, but it's a starter town, so I guess that's good enough? (If not, Mt. Gemota until I can come up with a better name.

I made it in Emerald.

Umm.. not too many comments on it after that really. Pretty much only my second map made. (First one I made.. I tried it with Fallabor Town graphics I think. Those grayish mountains? Not sure the tileset number.. but there yah go I guess)
    This one allowed for a bit more.. creativity though, it's just that the buildings don't match what I'm going for. But I worked with it the best I could...

edit: just cutting out some of the stuff I said so I don't look like an idiot on some stuff.

Also, does this thread rate region layouts too? I have one set out but it's really not in the game yet. I just got it photoshopped..

But thanks for any ratings though.

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • square montains and not realy that natrual some areas are some arent the hose place ment is square
    the golden rule of mapping square look gives a 2d look and it looks bad will no squares and a natrual look make it look 3d and gives the illusian of 3d
    overall 4/10

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • i have 2 maps, theyre both done on a firered diamond/pearl tile hack from the resources thread by Mew.

the first is Nuvale town
    comments:this is the site of the 4th gym in my game (not hack, but idea/theory)
    before anybody asks why the mart is blocked off. It has its reason, in that its closed anyway until you have 5 badges.

the second is Silcrest City(silt/crest):)
    comments:this is the souhtern point of the cycling road which spans the entire north of the map. its home to the 7th badge and the western exit of the sublevel of Cardinal Mountain(the mountain which seperates north from south

What do you think.Im sorry if you dont care about my made up map, but i find it interestinhg ;) Im eventually going to have a full overworld region. So far i only have 4 towns and 4 routes.;)

can i have a rate/review please?

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Mountains. Are. Fail. Don't make your mountains like that. There is nothing good about that, it's just disgusting. Not too sure on anything else as the mountains just scare me, but the rest looks alright. Change the mountains, make them more naturally flowing. Look at Colcolstyle's last-posted map, and take your idea from them. 4/10.

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Map Name: Route 1
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Comments: A route I made because I was bored. It is meant to be Nintendo-styled
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • ...it looks a lot like the map of route 1 in ruby very un original and why do a nintendo style map there not that great
    well overall 6/10 no real orignality

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • @flaming flrez
    for me they are great..they look like it was made by nintendo..
    i love your style.. and for route one.. that is quite good :D
    7/10

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    It looks really nice.
    You also did the tree shadows, which is a BIG plus.
    The only part that is bothering me is the ledge at the bottom of the map.
    I personally would place a horizontal ledge, as the player cannot jump from 3 tiles of the ledge.
    Overall, 9.5/10

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    It's good, really good, but the very bottom ledge looks shifty. Just make it straight are take out a bush. Other than that, it's great. Oh, and don't save as a JPG, save as a PNG...:\
    and why do a nintendo style map
    Because they're great?

Laidjon*

An eternal equilibrium~
    Years
  • Repost. I want more than one rate.

Map Name:
    Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: Just a map I made out of boredom. Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: This one was a result of a video tut; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3RVOgOTTsw a link for the ones who are interested. =)
    Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Resultz

All- round Poke-Whizz
    Years
  • Im sorry but when i post a map on the map rate/review thread, i kind of EXPECT it to be rated.
    ill post them again, because im not happy >:(

1st is nuvale town, a small cove city

2nd is silcrest City, a beach town at the end of the cycle path

this time id like a rate, and not my post deleted, which is the easy way out

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • theres many tile errors on the mountain edges..
    you should fix that..
    other than that..
    i think everything look just fine
    7.2/10

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • I'm reposting this map to get a few more rates. I only had one and it wasn't as constructive as I would have liked. Anyways, credits to kyledove, WesleyFG, and Zein.

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back