• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
Years
  • Here is my map!

Game: Fire Red
    Map Name: Round 99

untitled-2.png
    Yeah, borders are messed up. Also, you have used different tiles for the top part of the trees. (makes me go like wtf???)
    Even though, the mountains SHOULD be too square here, they somehow aren't. It might be the tiles, as this map makes me feel like when I'm playing ShinyGold, Which is not well known for it's natural mountains, if you get my point ^^'
    Actually, For some reason, I... I actually love this map. No idea why.
    How about 8/10. Because I am suspecting that it's the tiles that makes it feel good. But not necessarily.

And my forest map has still not been rated! I would repost it, but I'm a lazy, lazy man...

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
    Years
  • Yeah, borders are messed up. Also, you have used different tiles for the top part of the trees. (makes me go like wtf???)
    Even though, the mountains SHOULD be too square here, they somehow aren't. It might be the tiles, as this map makes me feel like when I'm playing ShinyGold, Which is not well known for it's natural mountains, if you get my point ^^'
    Actually, For some reason, I... I actually love this map. No idea why.
    How about 8/10. Because I am suspecting that it's the tiles that makes it feel good. But not necessarily.

And my forest map has still not been rated! I would repost it, but I'm a lazy, lazy man...

Thanks for the rate but what do you mean about the trees and the borders? Some of the edges got cut off the trees when I was taking an image and cropping it out of paint. I'm really confused about the tree comment here.

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 4, 2024
    Here is my map!
    Game: Fire Red
    Map Name: Round 99

untitled-2.png

Grass placement is natural, trees are scattered, and different trees. The paths are placed kinda squarely, as is the mountain, and there isn't enough grass. As for the border block:

Thanks for the rate but what do you mean about the trees and the borders? Some of the edges got cut off the trees when I was taking an image and cropping it out of paint. I'm really confused about the tree comment here.

The border is the visible bit in-game outside the map, that is visible in VBA, but not the map. It is a filler thing for outside the map, that is the void, full of tiles you select as the border block. However, your border wouldn't work, as then it would look wrong in game.

Rating: 6 (nearly 7)/10.

Work on: Border, more grass, probably less flowers, more natural mountain and ledge and path shapes.

AND those are Liquid Crystal's tiles, so I have a feeling you just hacked a hack, and without permission. So, that isn't good, is it?

adamb241

Pokémon Raging Fury
    Years
  • Grass placement is natural, trees are scattered, and different trees. The paths are placed kinda squarely, as is the mountain, and there isn't enough grass. As for the border block:

The border is the visible bit in-game outside the map, that is visible in VBA, but not the map. It is a filler thing for outside the map, that is the void, full of tiles you select as the border block. However, your border wouldn't work, as then it would look wrong in game.

Rating: 6 (nearly 7)/10.

Work on: Border, more grass, probably less flowers, more natural mountain and ledge and path shapes.

AND those are Liquid Crystal's tiles, so I have a feeling you just hacked a hack, and without permission. So, that isn't good, is it?

Well I think I found these tiles on some web site, sorry if I forgot to give credit to the user, I'm not planning on developing this into a game or anything, just practicing my mapping skills.

\

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • Just here to repost a map. I was skipped. D:

Credits to kyledove, WesleyFG, and Zein.

Spoiler:

Lollypop

Member since '07 <300 posts
    Years
  • Just here to repost a map. I was skipped. D:

Credits to kyledove, WesleyFG, and Zein.

Spoiler:

Your map is really good. I cannot spot any errors. (People who are viewing this map, correct me if im wrong) I would rate it:
    3/3 for neatness
    6/7 for originality.

So in total... 9/10! Good Job!

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • A Formal Request For Assistance

Map Name: Pearl City

Map Game: Pokémon Emerald Version

Comments: Well, I'm gonna be honest with you: I'm not posting here for the usual reasons. I like to think that I'm a pretty good mapper and, as egotistical as it sounds, I usually only post in this thread to flaunt my works or for the boost in my confidence that comes from exalting reviews, all the while hiding behind the false pretense that "I prefer harsher reviews so I can 'get better'". But this time, it's different. I've been working on the following map for quite some time now and, unlike what I've ever experienced before, I just don't like it. But the thing is, and that's what you all are here for, I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with my map. I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to look it over, find what's wrong, point it out to me, and (if you can) tell me how to fix it. I have a few ideas myself but every time that I have tried to "fix" my map by correcting what I thought to be my mistake, I only seem to make matters worse.
    But that's enough from me. It's your turn now and I would like nothing more than for you all to take a few minutes to tell me what you would do in my situation. Thanks in advance.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

→goon

pokémon auburn version←
    Years
  • Map Name: Pearl City

Comments: Well, I'm gonna be honest with you: I'm not posting here for the usual reasons. I like to think that I'm a pretty good mapper and, as egotistical as it sounds, I usually only post in this thread to flaunt my works or for the boost in my confidence that comes from exalting reviews, all the while hiding behind the false pretense that "I prefer harsher reviews so I can 'get better'". But this time, it's different. I've been working on the following map for quite some time now and, unlike what I've ever experienced before, I just don't like it. But the thing is, and that's what you all are here for, I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with my map. I'd really appreciate it if you could take the time to look it over, find what's wrong, point it out to me, and (if you can) tell me how to fix it. I have a few ideas myself but every time that I have tried to "fix" my map by correcting what I thought to be my mistake, I only seem to make matters worse.
    But that's enough from me. It's your turn now and I would like nothing more than for you all to take a few minutes to tell me what you would do in my situation. Thanks in advance.

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Honestly, I think you have the right to be egotistical. Here's a simple truth: You are the best damn mapper here. I have looked through this entire thread and every one of your maps are stunning.

I stared at this map for thirty minutes straight. This map is absolutely beautiful. The attention to detail is amazing. I could go on and on about the good points of this map. But, I'll move on to what I don't like.

f_keovm_2b7a54f.png

I'm not really a fan of the path jutting out at the bottom there. I think it looks a bit awkward. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like the random placement of that type of path in particular because it's put in place by humans and they tend to build paths like that in straight, evenly wide lines. If the paths are dirt or faded grass from being walked on too much, then the paths can be random because, well, that's how they would look in real life.

f_keowm_57b2bf6.png

The thing that really bugs me about this area of the map is inconsistency, well... kinda. This huge building gets a shadow, but none of the other buildings do. I realize that due to tile restrictions, palette restrictions, block restrictions, or whatever else, it might be a little insane to give each building a shadow. So I understand not changing it for whatever reason you may have. I'm just here to try and help you out.

f_keoxm_62b0d4d.png

I think this fountain looks out of place. To be completely honest, it looks like it was thrown in here to fill space. The one in the center of the map looks great because that's where I would imagine a fountain being. This fountain though, it just doesn't fit. It's not really in a bustling area. I always found fountains to be in plazas or intersections where many people meet.

Anyways, this is an amazing map. I really hope that this helps you make it better in your eyes. If not, ignore my advice. xD

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Map Name: Pearl City

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments/ Suggestions: Good job. The map is beatiful, and totally playable. I don't see any border errors.
    The only thing i don't like is the path. Its a little weird, its like a snake. XD but meh.
    And the shadow of the Bsttle Tower bothers me, because its.. square.
    Why don't you like your map? Its very close to perfection.

Rating: 8.9/10 (Because nothing is perfect)

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Map Name: Pearl City

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    styles, you egotistical bum, you post just to make us feel inferior. >:[

The map is beautiful, and it's as good as you always do, but I have a few small irks with it. I gtg now, I'll edit this with detail later, but they are the paths being uneven, the blue floor (WTF?) and the square shadow.

EDIT: Okay, back from dinner, elaboration time.

The paths have no set width, which is kind of irritating as it looks really uneven and scrambles around through the gaps.

The floor is blue. O.O It's a bit too bright, dullen it a bit? :\

The shadow of the big building is square, and it looks really shifty because the building itself isn't square. =P

O yah, and you need to tell me how to do those door animations plex.

Last edited:

Laidjon*

An eternal equilibrium~
    Years
  • Map Name: Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: Just a map I made out of boredom. Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Map Name: Route [insert_number]
    Map Game: Pokémon Ruby
    Comments: This one was a result of a video tut; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3RVOgOTTsw a link for the ones who are interested. =)
    Also, please don't mind possible border errors.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • Thanks for the rate but what do you mean about the trees and the borders? Some of the edges got cut off the trees when I was taking an image and cropping it out of paint. I'm really confused about the tree comment here.

Well, I think the attached pic no.1 down there will explain what I ment.

This is getting a little bit too Off-Topic...

- Pokey here!
    Well, here's a map I made a looooong while ago. I tested using a little more Nintendoish tree-placement style, and I think it worked out pretty well.
    Sdly, I didn't write down whoms tiles these are, as I originally planned to just keep the map for myself... But you can fill in if you want ^^

Anywayz, rate, pals!

NAME: Waterfall forest
    GAME: FireRed
    COMMENTS: see above
    Skipped for quite a while now... attachment pic no.2 Rate guys

EDIT: I honestly have no idea if I took those tiles in the map without permission or something; it was a looooong while ago. (see above), so if I did, mention it and I'm sorry...

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • Well, I think the attached pic no.1 down there will explain what I ment.

Skipped for quite a while now... attachment pic no.2 Rate guys

EDIT: I honestly have no idea if I took those tiles in the map without permission or something; it was a looooong while ago. (see above), so if I did, mention it and I'm sorry...

The stairs are not really well conneted.i mean like you used the same bottom stairs for the middle one.
    Also the waterfall kinda look fake.Why?because there is no rock borders.
    don't tell me theres a secret passage behind right?

Overall 7/10
    I love the creativity and originality of your map.
    also it takes some time to get pass the map

Sorry for double posting but i made a new map
    and also took in advices
    here it is
    Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Otter

Reminiscing Every Now and Then
    Years
  • Map name: Unknown
    Mapped on: Fire Red
    Note: Please don't steal my palettes.
    Spoiler:

Not a bad map, I get the general idea of where you're going with this. Palettes are alright, not too many custom tiles, but that's fine and I'm not supposed to rate 'em here anyways. Tree lines aren't too blocky, and I can see you tried going a little more "natural" with them. Some people might argue that the paths are too straight in some places, but I'm one of those derps that insists that man-made paths are supposed to look slightly less natural. But whatevs. On to the criticism!

• Flower Placement. Not too much on this, though. I'm fine with most of the placement, although there's a tad bit more "loner" flowers than would normally be natural. Also, I'm not a big fan of the whole flowers in tall grass thing. Take those out, and the grass area should look better.
    • Bush Placement. Some people apply the same clumping rule to bushes too. I don't say it's absolutely necessary, but using the bushes as corners is wrong. Try to put them in some different spots (not necessarily out in the middle, but don't just stick to corners). Also, the bushes in the middle of the post fences is kinda meh. Try to work around that if you can.
    • Tile Errors. One of the trees is missing a corner, and all of your lower water's edges are missing corners as well. Just a little something to perfect your map, eh? I marked the stuff off for you.
      Spoiler:
    That pretty much covers it for me. The fence enclosure of the patch of tall grass seems a bit square-ish. Also, that patch of water on the bottom left seems to extend downward in a very straight way. Unless it's some sort of canal, try fixing that too. Otherwise, seems like a fair map! Nice job.

Final Rating: 6/10

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • The stairs are not really well conneted.i mean like you used the same bottom stairs for the middle one.
    Also the waterfall kinda look fake.Why?because there is no rock borders.
    don't tell me theres a secret passage behind right?

Overall 7/10
    I love the creativity and originality of your map.
    also it takes some time to get pass the map

Sorry for double posting but i made a new map
    and also took in advices
    here it is
    Spoiler:

Okay, I'm no expert in mapping myself, but here is my opinion:
    I feel that the mountain is too square. Try to vary the shape a little, rather than simply having a three-tier base. It looks very un-natural. Moreso, I find the flowers all clumped together on the rock kind of weird. Perhaps some gaps left, placing flowers every other tile would create a better effect. I do, however, like the layout of the map. I think it has a very nintendo-ish feel and is something that many people strive for. My last suggestion is reduce the amount of long grass. Make it so that the player doesn't HAVE to go through the tall grass unless they want to, or only in smaller patches.
    Overall: A nice map, but needs a little tidying up. 6/10

EDIT: Also, I'm not quite sure how the boarder block will work. This could cause problems on the top and bottom edge, with the mountain especially.

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • its connected to the left and top side..so i could fix that up

EDIT
    I've remade the map..
    pls tell me your comments
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

NarutoActor

The rocks cry out to me
    Years
  • this very square still very empty the trees are still alined in lines un nartural no block that transtions from rocks to grass
    I dont see any improvements
    still 3/10

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back