• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

theswordbuggy

Rom Hacker
    Years
    Map Name: Ground & Rock
    ROM: Emerald
    Hack: Pokemon Islands
    Comment: This make is better than the other one. I havn't changed the tileset's on my Hack, so don't say it's like the game, I havn't changed the tileset's yet. It is too big to fit on one picture.

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
    Map Name: Internet
    ROM: FireRed
    Hack: Pokemon: Gothic Black
    Comment: Well, this is the map for the part of the game where you go into the internet. :)
    I honestly think I did well, but someone threw up in my thread and told me to put it here. TwT
    So?
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Map Name: Internet
    Comment: Well, this is the map for the part of the game where you go into the internet. :)
    I honestly think I did well, but someone threw up in my thread and told me to put it here. TwT
    So?
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    At first I have to say I was a little confused. However, I read the comment and looked at it again. I think you did a fantastic job for portraying the internet on a Pokemon game. 10/10

Zanny77

I'm back, baby!
    Years
    Yay! 10/10! :3

Now here's:

Map Name: Hacked Internet
    Comment: Well, this is the part of the internet that has been hacked by the evil team to try to destroy the internet.
    So?
    Map:
    Spoiler:

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
    Map Name: Moonflow
    Map game: Pokemon: Warped (base:fire red)
    Comments: You start in the far left island. (you warp there.) You finish the level on the far warp house to the right. The top section will lead to a as yet un-named town.

Spoiler:

Please be honest.

Years
    Yay! 10/10! :3

Now here's:

Map Name: Hacked Internet
    Comment: Well, this is the part of the internet that has been hacked by the evil team to try to destroy the internet.
    So?
    Map:
    Spoiler:

very good 8.2/10 very creative as well :)

Comments: You start in the far left island. (you warp there.) You finish the level on the far warp house to the right. The top section will lead to a as yet un-named town.

Spoiler:

Please be honest.

6/10 it too basic

Kyouya

"baddest of the bad"
    Years
    Map Name: Route 136,route 135,
    Map Game: pokemon Ruby ,for my hack pokemon dark castle
    Comments: The route to enrium forest
    Mapshot:
    route 136
    Spoiler:

Route 135
    Spoiler:

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
    It appears that I haven't posted a map in a while, so...

Map Name: Route 1
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: 1st Route in my up-coming hack Pokemon Magma Version
    The River you see is actually a dividing line between the two sides of the region, East and West

~Flaming Flarez
    Thnx in advance!

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Ok this is my 2nd map ever, for Pokemon: Messengers of Peace. It is hacked on a ruby rom, and it's going to some route (I don't know which yet), but as you can tell it's a valley. (Map in attachments). I would really appreciate suggestions :)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the black spaces in the bottom, they're supposed to be shoreline *facepalm*

Magneto20

CoOmnipotent1of Pokemon:WARPED
    Years

Spoiler:

Please be honest.

Honest, eh? Well personally I think this is a really great map, it's not too plain and squarish, the use of different trees is nicely set out and the bridges are nicely straight and narrow, giving it a man-made feel.

Overall, I think the map is very natural, precisely how nature would make a place look.

8/10

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    It appears that I haven't posted a map in a while, so...

Map Name: Route 1
    Map Game: Fire Red
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: 1st Route in my up-coming hack Pokemon Magma Version
    The River you see is actually a dividing line between the two sides of the region, East and West

~Flaming Flarez
    Thnx in advance!

I'm going to give this map a 7/10. It is a good map, I really like the grass placement and the paths. However, the trees that you have all grow in straight rows (I'm looking at the five rows at the top left) which is unnatural looking. Also, the ring of water-rocks is unneccesary (you only need some at the bottom and the top to block off the water-route). I would suggest removing some rocks in the middle. Also, this map is plain (It has two types of trees, grass and path and that's it :P). You should try adding flowers and ledges. Also, try spreading the grass around a little bit throughout the map (it's only in one area towards the bottom). With these improvements I would give you a 10/10 :)

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Ok this is my 2nd map ever, for Pokemon: Messengers of Peace. It is hacked on a ruby rom, and it's going to some route (I don't know which yet), but as you can tell it's a valley. (Map in attachments). I would really appreciate suggestions :)

EDIT: Whoops, forgot the black spaces in the bottom, they're supposed to be shoreline *facepalm*

Well, I don't have time for a full on review right now, but it's certainly not a bad map. But there are a few things you should fix.. Like, the mountains are really straight, especially the base of the mountain (part that's on the ground). Mix it up a bit, y'know? Add a few turns here and there. Also, the shoreline is really quite straight too. You can even make it really indent/outdent so that it's not basically the same all of the way through. Grass placement is not bad, but it's not exactly good, either; way too sporadic for my tastes. I prefer to put grass in clumps, sorta. I think there were a few other things I was going to mention, but I forgot, in any case. I'd have to give you a rating somewhere around 6/10. Improve your map in the areas that I said, and that can probably rise. :3

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Map Name: Shinium Village
    Map Game: Pokémon Shian
    Base Rom: Pokémon FireRed
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just trying out my new mapping style. I don't like it but meh. Anyways, yeah this is the first map of the re-start of Pokémon Shian. I will be requesting for the thread to be re-opened soon, just wait. Credits will be given in thread.

Last edited:

Samike360

Lover of May
    Years
    Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just trying out my new mapping style. I don't like it but meh. Anyways, yeah this is the first map of the re-start of Pokémon Shian. I will be requesting for the thread to be re-opened soon, just wait. Credits will be given in thread.

I'll say 8.5/10. It's a good map, nothing is really wrong with it. I like the houses and the trees. However, although you made efforts to make the map less square, there are a bunch of trees lined in rows (If you wanted you could make the map smaller and let the borders handle it to save some space). Also, more of a personal thing, there are two types of paths, but that can be ok because it's clearly leading from a route. And same thing with the two types of signs. Overall, good job.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
    I'm going to give this map a 7/10. It is a good map, I really like the grass placement and the paths. However, the trees that you have all grow in straight rows (I'm looking at the five rows at the top left) which is unnatural looking. Also, the ring of water-rocks is unneccesary (you only need some at the bottom and the top to block off the water-route). I would suggest removing some rocks in the middle. Also, this map is plain (It has two types of trees, grass and path and that's it :P). You should try adding flowers and ledges. Also, try spreading the grass around a little bit throughout the map (it's only in one area towards the bottom). With these improvements I would give you a 10/10 :)

Erm, you contradicted yourself here. You said that the trees in lines look unnatural and then you went on to say that the only place rocks should be are at the entrance and exit of a stream/river. And also, damned that Natural Mapping tutorial because people always think that is the way mapping has to be done to look good. Honestly, I see more well done maps when the trees are in rows. The natural mapping works, when done correctly and with the right tiles. The normal fire red tiles do not look good in what people call a "natural mapping style." And I see people try to do it all the time. I'm not sure where the notion came from that Nintendo-ish style maps are wrong and terrible. [/mini-rant]

Anyways, so this won't be deleted...

Map Shot:
    Spoiler:

This map is okay. It's not amazing, and it's not horrible. I'll start by saying that you should vary the path size. A few questions you can ask yourself when determining the width the path should be in a certain spot are; Would this area be heavily trafficked? Or is this area only used by a small group? The flowers are not horribly placed like I've seen in some maps, but they are a little spaced out. Try to bring them a little closer together because flowers do grow in bunches. The only problem I have with the tree placement is that the style changes. There's a bit of naturalness with the one tree tile, yet with the other, they're in rows. I think you should just stick to one style. Anyways, I'll give this map a 6/10. Definitely room for improvement, but it's still pretty good.

Sorry everyone if I sound a little angry today. I'm not in the greatest of moods. Go away rain. x_x

theswordbuggy

Rom Hacker
    Years
    Map Name: Ground & Rock
    ROM: Emerald
    Hack: Pokemon Islands
    Comment: This make is better than the other one. I havn't changed the tileset's on my Hack, so don't say it's like the game, I havn't changed the tileset's yet. It is too big to fit on one picture.

DarkPrince304

Back to Hacking after exams!!!
    Years
    Map Name: Pallet Town
    ROM: Fire Red
    Hack: Pokemon Gotta Catch Em All
    Comment:This is a Pallet Town map I made for my anime based hack.That's it :3
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Feb 23, 2015
    Spoiler:
    Nice map but there are some errors.
    Tiles are nice and it looks natural. I give you 8/10

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
    Spoiler:

Rating: 2/10
    Comments: Um.. I seriously don't know what your trying to do with this map. On one for the houses you have three windows, on the other you have two, try to be consistent. You used four main trees in the map, which obviously shows that you are new to mapping. You don't have a border :\ So, the player is just going to walk around wherever they want? You are using grass in a town? Um.. Why? Grass is for battles with wild Pokémon, there seems to be no guarantee that the player will have a Pokémon before they get to the grass. Causing the player to fight a Pokémon, without a Pokémon, this defeats the point of having a Pokémon. The map is way too spacious, try to add something to fill it in. Also you have used two different water tiles, again try to be consistent. Also, why is there a random row of black blocks? Try to fix this.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    Spoiler:

3/10 - Too spacious, no border and very plain. Also as Alice. said, you're not keeping things very consistent. Play around in that map in-game and you'll seet what we mean.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back