• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

arpeejajo

King Of Muay Thai
Years
  • Map Name: Route 1 (Starting Map)

Map Game: Fire Red

Comments: This is the map where you start your adventures.

Mapshot: There should be an attachment at the bottom.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Map Name: N/A
    Map Game: Just messing around
    Comments: I'd like to know if this map is successful in depicting what it's supposed to depict: a ski slope. The dark areas are sloped like the Cycling Road in FR/LG. The light areas are level. The ledges are meant to act like ramps (+ to speed), but that doesn't actually happen in game. Pretend it does. The map is meant to be full of trainers moving around to inconvenience the player. There's a prize for getting through the map with no collisions in a certain time frame.

This is only a first 'draft', so critique it for all it's worth. :P Oh, and sorry about the shrinkage.
    Credits: All edited tiles are by me.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @rokrdude

Unnamed Event Area after Elite Four

~Tile Use - 2/5 - Terrible use of tiles, many messes, bad positioning~
    ~Shape - 1/5 - Completely square~
    ~Errors - 2/5 - I only see 2 tile errors~
    ~Space Used - 2/5 - Even with the trainers, it would be completely empy~
    ~Complexity - 2/5 - Just mirrored pretty much on either side, easy to move~

Overall Rating:
    ~9/25 - Terrible~

@Rabbit

Unnamed Route

~Tile Use - 5/5 - Amazing! You made those tiles? That's amazing! They fit perefectly!~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all and wonderfully rounded/shaped~
    ~Errors - 5/5 - I see 0 tile errors!~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - Hmm... if you consider the dark snow grass, I would say full. However, if Pokemon don't spawn, I would call it quite empty~
    ~Complexity - 5/5 - Complex to get around, especially going upwards~

Overall Rating:
    ~25/25 - Perfect!~

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • @Rabbit

Unnamed Route

~Tile Use - 5/5 - Amazing! You made those tiles? That's amazing! They fit perefectly!~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all and wonderfully rounded/shaped~
    ~Errors - 5/5 - I see 0 tile errors!~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - Hmm... if you consider the dark snow grass, I would say full. However, if Pokemon don't spawn, I would call it quite empty~
    ~Complexity - 5/5 - Complex to get around, especially going upwards~

Overall Rating:
    ~25/25 - Perfect!~

Heh, thanks. ^_^ Actually, there is no grass on this map, and no wild Pokemon encounters. So I guess it's pretty empty, aside from the trainers. I'll try to fill up the top and bottom of the map a bit more.

As for going up, I'm not sure what to do about that. I could put in a ski lift (using the cable car tiles from R/S/E), or add an alternate route that's easy to navigate, or force the player to go up through this map. The last choice makes it challenging for the player, but it doesn't make as much sense. You wouldn't try going up through a ski jump - you'd get run over.

What I really want to know is: do you think this map looks like a ski slope? From your rating, I'm guessing you don't, so I've failed in that. :P What do you think I could change to make it work?

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Back Again

hello I'm back again with the same map, there are many diffrences through, infact I started from scratch.
    map name: Palm Village
    base: firered
    comment: as you can see it is now turned into a peninsula. Also the flowers surrounded by the fence are flowers in a garden.
    Spoiler:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @Matteron (96)

Palm Village

~Tile Use - 5/5 - Great tile use, lovin' the gold roof~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square and wonderfully rounded~
    ~Errors - 4/5 - A few errors in the mountain, but good overall~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - Trees are a great space filler, you used them perfectly~
    ~Complexity - 2/5 - Utterly easy to make it from the upper way to the house~

Overall Rating:
    ~21/25 - Great~

Last edited:

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    @ Hot & Cold: Thanks for the honest rating. =]

Hi again, I was going to post this map with Palm Village, but I wanted to work on it some more.

Map Name: Bridge A1
    Base: Fire red
    Comments: the little pool took about 30 minutes to make, also don't worry about the city tiles, they are supposed to be there.

Spoiler:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @Matteron (96)

Palm Village

~Tile Use - 5/5 - Congratulations on the pool, looks great - city tiles look a bit out of place though~
    ~Shape - 4/5 - Well rounded using the ocean and sand~
    ~Errors - 5/5 - None I can see of~
    ~Space Used - 3/5 - Grass is not in blotches, and the pool is a great space filler~
    ~Complexity - 2/5 - Once again, the path is quite easy to get through - it's OK if that's how you want it to be, but, just giving advice :)~

Overall Rating:
    ~19/25 - Average~

Ghost

[b][color=orange]ツ[/color][color=teal][i]In the Ma
    Years
  • Map Name: Test Map
    Rom: FireRed
    Comments: Just testing the tiles before i create a hack.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @Kakashi Haraki

Test Map

~Tile Use - 3/5 - DPPt tiles don't fit in well with FRLG Oak's Lab...~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all, trees & mountain tiles used perfectly to shape~
    ~Errors - 5/5 - Congrats, no errors~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - Lots of space used, flowers, trees, and signs sed perfectly ~
    ~Complexity - 4/5 - Trees used expertly to make the town seem large~
    Overall Rating:
    ~22/25 - Great~

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Map Name: Test Map
    Rom: FireRed
    Comments: Just testing the tiles before i create a hack.
    Spoiler:
    Alright well first thing, It's really cramped, there's a ton of unnecessary things in there, like the bunches of trees, I mean one, maybe even two is alright, but for a map this small, it's like putting an elephant in a corn maze, I mean sure he'll try to navigate it, but in the end he's just going to use a walkthrough walls cheat, or trample the corn, meh.
    The paths don't look good in those patches. The houses, I'm guessing you cant block edit, because you kinda squished them together, you might want to learn to block edit. The tree's are really horny, I mean, they go up into too many peaks, which adds to the elephants distress.
    Basically make it more playable, and less cramped.
    3/10
    --------------------------------
    Rates please :x
    Game: None
    Map Name: Boredom Beach
    Credits: Nintendo

Map:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Ghost

Years
  • Code:
    Alright well first thing, It's really cramped, there's a ton of unnecessary things in there, like the bunches of trees, I mean one, maybe even two is alright, but for a map this small, it's like putting an elephant in a corn maze, I mean sure he'll try to navigate it, but in the end he's just going to use a walkthrough walls cheat, or trample the corn, meh. 
    The paths don't look good in those patches. The houses, I'm guessing you cant block edit, because you kinda squished them together, you might want to learn to block edit. The tree's are really horny, I mean, they go up into too many peaks, which adds to the elephants distress.
    3/10
    Thanks, but im not trying to copy nitendo, also i didnt really care
    to block edit as i had said this was a test map, not a map for my hack. Also
    i think its pretty playable, and it looks cramped but really not many seem to
    have a problem with it. Elephant???

Thanks.

Code:
    Test Map

~Tile Use - 3/5 - DPPt tiles don't fit in well with FRLG Oak's Lab...~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all, trees & mountain tiles used perfectly to shape~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - Lots of space used, flowers, trees, and signs sed perfectly ~
    ~Complexity - 4/5 - Trees used expertly to make the town seem large~
    Overall Rating:
    ~22/25 - Great~
    Thanks, im glad you like it, and i dont think the based
    looked that well either.

Map: Test Map
    Base: FireRed
    Comments - Well ven rated my last one and said it was to packed so i made another one
    and well i tried to make it as natrual as i can, and the base i have doesnt have flowers, so
    just rate, its empty but its my first empty map. Also this is so bad!!
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Haku.

(FLAME)...H....A...K..U
    Years
  • Map Name: Prion City.
    Map Game: Black Orb.
    Comments: I would like to know how much i've improved over the last few months on my mapping skills.
    Map shot:
    Spoiler:

Rabbit

where is my mind?
    Years
  • Code:
    3/10
    Thanks, but im not trying to copy nitendo, also i didnt really care
    to block edit as i had said this was a test map, not a map for my hack. Also
    i think its pretty playable, and it looks cramped but really not many seem to
    have a problem with it. Elephant???

Thanks.

Haha, well, I agree with everything Ven said, including the elephant. Those trees all over the place do make the town feel cramped. If you replace them with a path, it would be a lot more playable and look better. Whether you're going for a Nintendo style or not, you probably want your players to enjoy your maps, right? ;)

Map: Test Map
    Base: FireRed
    Comments - Well ven rated my last one and said it was to packed so i made another one
    and well i tried to make it as natrual as i can, and the base i have doesnt have flowers, so
    just rate, its empty but its my first empty map. Also this is so bad!!
    Spoiler:

I like this one a lot more. There's too much empty space near the bottom, but overall, the spacing is good. You might want to make the exit a little bit wider and more obvious. The shape and tree placing are pretty natural. I don't like how tiny most of the houses are. Why not give them 1 window each, at least? This map's biggest issue is that it's kind of boring, but I guess if you don't have flowers there isn't much you can do. Maybe add some fences?

Rates please :x
    Game: None
    Map Name: Boredom Beach
    Credits: Nintendo

Map:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Oh yes, this one. Well, it lives up to its name. Kind of looks like one of the generic Orange Islands in FR. It's an alright map, I guess, but some things about it really bug me. First, the ledge. One-way routes are bad enough, but the only thing that keeps the player from going back is the damn sign. I'd feel like chopping it down with an axe. Why not move it to the right of the ledge? Then you have occassional 'holes' in the dense tree cover, placed in ways I don't understand. The left-side hole, for instance, with the flowers and two small trees. The player can hardly see it. Why is it there? The holes on the right-hand side are more annoying, because they suggest to the player that there's something there. But there isn't. I think you should just fill them up with regular trees. Save the detail for the area around the route. Lastly, the second set of stairs looks a little off-center. I don't know why it bugs me so much...but it does. It's practically the first thing I see.

Last edited:

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Kakashi Hatake; said:
    Ah, now this is better. What I'm happy about, is that you took the suggestions, and put them in the map, while staying true to your own style.
    Rabbit kinda said most of the problems with the map, but there's one more thing that bothers me. You couldn't imagine yourself playing through this map in a pokemon game. It's kinda just like... A map, that's it. Yah I know that made know sense.

@Rabbit Wow, thanks for the honest rating. Hehe, about the holes, I got lazy, I didn't want to go into the tilset and edit the tile :S (that mountain tile doesn't have that unused nintendo tile that has grass under it.)

Ghost

Years
  • Code:
    Ah, now this is better. What I'm happy about, is that you took the suggestions, and put them in the map, while staying true to your own style.
    Rabbit kinda said most of the problems with the map, but there's one more thing that bothers me. You couldn't imagine yourself playing through this map in a pokemon game. It's kinda just like... A map, that's it. Yah I know that made know sense.

@Rabbit Wow, thanks for the honest rating. Hehe, about the holes, I got lazy, I didn't want to go into the tilset and edit the tile :S (that mountain tile doesn't have that unused nintendo tile that has grass under it.)

Hm well ill take suggestions, and sorry its not that good its the first map i have made that wide and i just put the houses anywhere, i got lazy and just didnt care for the size, also the small tress i randomly posted anywhere as well, but i mean the maps would be better only if i had my custom base i would feel better about making spacious maps. ill make more and post them. as you guys can tell im use to cramped maps.

Barker

I'm drifting in deep waters..
    Years
  • Map Name: Route Two

Map Game: Firered

Comments: A re-imagining of Kanto's Route 2 for my dead hack, Pikachu's Tale. I was thinking about reviving it. This is just the bottom part, before Viridian Forest. I just wanted to see if I was still okay at it. :P If I remember correctly, credit for the ROMbase goes to Cheesepeow. Not sure if that's his name anymore.

(Yeah, there are tile errors everywhere. (Border blocks, bad tiles) I plan on restarting with my own pretty tiles and that sort of thing here pretty soon. Just let me know about the general things. :)) And before you ask, the trees in the northwest are supposed to form an exit (From Viridian). Just another thing I'll have fixed when I restart.

Map:

Map Rating/Review Thread

Thanks guys.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    hello I'm back again with the same map, there are many diffrences through, infact I started from scratch.
    map name: Palm Village
    base: firered
    comment: as you can see it is now turned into a peninsula. Also the flowers surrounded by the fence are flowers in a garden.
    Spoiler:

Just one thing; why are you calling it a 'village' when there's only one house? Palm Cape might be a better name.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @Ven

Test Map

~Tile Use - 5/5 - It looks really great and the trees fit perfectly in with the beach~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all, trees and fences work perfect to delete the border block~
    ~Space Used - 2/5 - Empty, grass in blotches instead of scattered ~
    ~Complexity - 1/5 - Extremely simplistic to get throgh ~
    Overall Rating:
    ~18/25 - Average~

@Kakashi Haraki

Test Map

~Tile Use - 3/5 - DPPt tiles don't fit in well with FRLG houses~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square at all, trees and mini-trees used perfectly in forest form~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - None I can see of~
    ~Complexity - 4/5 - Easy to get through, but it's a town, so, I guess... it's supposed to be!~
    Overall Rating:
    ~22/25 - Great~

@Haku.

Prior City

~Tile Use - 3/5 - Fences don't look great, double blue house bugs me~
    ~Shape - 5/5 - Not square, trees used perfectly!~
    ~Errors - 4/5 - 3 errors in the small trees~
    ~Space Used - 5/5 - You tried and succedeed, but the fence should be removed~
    ~Complexity - 4/5 - A bit hard to get through, but I'm alright with it~
    Overall Rating:
    ~21/25 - Great~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back