• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Hey pal, nice to see you map again! :3

Anyway, that's a pretty good map. Almost a route penetration to my eyes. If I look at it on my style, your grass placement is perfect. Well, the rest are above average, too. Covering up any popping empty space, the only thing that would bother me are some tile errors on the trees' base (they should be connected to each other if there are two adjacted trees) and that pond which is stuck above the ground.

9/10, good job.

Thank you! I agree about the little pond, I fixed it. But about the trees is because I had to delete those tiles, because I needed room for all the variatons of other tree tiles.

Here's the route connecting to the map.

Name: 2
    Made on: FR
    Map:
    Spoiler:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • Thank you! I agree about the little pond, I fixed it. But about the trees is because I had to delete those tiles, because I needed room for all the variatons of other tree tiles.

Here's the route connecting to the map.

Name: 2
    Made on: FR
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    This map is, well, almost perfect to me. You're using the grass placing that I favor the most, and you have a narrow-like path that makes you feel lost. Two things that demote it, though:
    1. I hope that this is not one of the first routes. It seems just annoying if it is.
    2. The tree next to the signpost makes a weird dividation of the paths, especially since the road ends right in front of it, don't you think?

So, regarding the fact that you're missing the tiles that 'create' the errors, you get a 9.5/10. As expected from you, nakama.

Years
  • This map is, well, almost perfect to me. You're using the grass placing that I favor the most, and you have a narrow-like path that makes you feel lost. Two things that demote it, though:
    1. I hope that this is not one of the first routes. It seems just annoying if it is.
    2. The tree next to the signpost makes a weird dividation of the paths, especially since the road ends right in front of it, don't you think?

So, regarding the fact that you're missing the tiles that 'create' the errors, you get a 9.5/10. As expected from you, nakama.

Thank you that was exactly the feeling I was trying to create :)
    And now you say it it is kinda weird the tree in front of the path x3
    It actually is the first route you encounter, I made it like this because I wanted to create a more puzzle like route so it is more challenging. But it can be pretty annoying :p I might change it ;)

If anyone needs a mapper please let me know :)

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @ Satoshi Sugiromi
    Comments: I really love the way that you made it mazy and didn't Nintendo grass plot. Also, the way the sunlight happened really sweet-itized it. The pond looks great and I love the way that the paths look, the sand really make the whole thing all jazzed up.
    Suggestions: Maybe not use so many ledges, because it makes the path a LOT more difficult on the way back up. I honestly wouldn't go back to the starting town until I had fly.
    Rating: 9.7/10

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • Name: Falkor Pass
    ROM: FireRed
    Comments: A random map, Nintendo style.
    Spoiler:
    I LIKE IT

Okay, yeah, just commenting for a balance of views. xD It's a very cute path. Not super exciting, but there aren't many ways to make an exciting route with FR tiles. I like the shape of the top and bottom paths. The hill near the top is my favourite part, and I'm guessing the guy sitting on it has some importance. Overall, the map is too small to be a proper route - maybe it's a park? The top area needs some tall grass to balance out the bottom half of the map. And yeah, there's too much space around the girl. I dunno, put some more grass there?
    Just want to add to your rating that this is exactly how grass should be placed, not randomly covering the entire map or in little square patches in the middle of the path that the player can just walk around. (The most common types of grass placement that I see.)
    (It's been FOREVER since I've seen grass placement like this in this thread, so I felt like I should point it out.)

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
  • I realized I haven't been in this thread posting maps in like forever, so I thought to myself "meh, why not?"

So I opened up a clean FireRed ROM, threw this together in a couple of hours, and then I found myself here. :cer_smile:

I'm actually pretty proud of it, so atleast I don't THINK I've lost my magic. But hey, I could be wrong.

I tried to use the FireRed tiles as well as possible, and avoid tree shadow-errors.

Tell me what you think of it, old friends and co-posters!

Time for da map, eh?

Map name: Idk, random forest route?
    Base ROM: FireRed version (a clean one, for once)
    Comments: Uhh... see above.
    Credits: Just Game Freak fot this one. And myself for editing the tileset a little.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

Hope ya like it, and please lemme know about all tile errors ya can find!

Pokey Out!

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • (It's been FOREVER since I've seen grass placement like this in this thread, so I felt like I should point it out.)

It's also been FOREVER since sasquatch, dratii, thrace, styles or I posted a map.

Coincidence?

@pokestick,

The map looks very pleasing to the eye, and I want to give you a high numbered mark but I don't do things with numbers and without words unlike some people.

The truth is, at a glance, it doesn't look like you can get to the cave at all. When you look closer, you can, but that's the problem. It's way too complicated. Simplify it some. Remove a few trees, clump the grass together more (seriously, do you REALLY see bits of tall grass sticking out in tiny patches naturally?) and it should be brilliant.

Oh, and there are a few problems with tree shading.

Last edited:

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
  • Ok, it seems my map was good. I have now improved it, and made another.

Map name: Animal sanctuary
    Base ROM: Ruby
    Comments: Bag does NOT have Pokémon in. That's what the Pokéball is.
    Credits: Myself with the block editor, Nintendo + Game Freak for the ROM.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

Map name: Route 101 (To be changed)
    Comments: The rocks in the river are stepping stones.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

Muffin™

Knows your age
    Years
  • Ok, it seems my map was good. I have now improved it, and made another.

Map name: Animal sanctuary
    Comments: Bag does NOT have Pokémon in. That's what the Pokéball is.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

Map name: Route 101 (To be changed)
    Comments: The rocks in the river are stepping stones.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

I like how you make the ol' Fortree City cool. No tile errors that I see, and so, yea. (BTW, is there a script where wild Pokemon in Animal sanctuary that keeps you from running into wild Pokemon unless you get one)

9/10

RainDogg54

Crown of Love
    Years
  • I was bored so I decided to redesign the starter town for my hack.

Hack Name: ???
    Map Name: Eluvia Town
    Tiles: Default Fire Red
    Spoiler:

Rate please :)

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
  • map name: N/A
    game: Fire red
    Credits: Paranoid for inserting his wonderful tiles :3
    Spoiler:
    Nothing really appealing to me, it seems...to repeat itself. A VERY simple route, with no variations (ledges, bushes, a fence maybe...).
    7/10.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
  • @ Pokestick, good times.'s Idk, random forest route?
    Comments: I really think this map overall is great. The legdes are placed as Nintendo would, to make it easier to go down the hill. Also, the ponds have great shape and the sand and grass are placed perfectly to add real nature in to this map.
    Suggestions: Maybe make a little less grass, because it really makes you run in to tons of Pokemon. Also, the map would probably be better if you didn't have so many trees.
    Rating: 9.3/10

@ ~Poke~'s Animal Sanctuary
    Comments: I have to say, you made ol' Fortree City which usually sucks, turn really great. All the different Pokemon add a great essence which makes it really realistic, as if a real Animal Sanctuary. The river looks great as well.
    Suggestions: The only problem I really see is that you have too many secret base houses. I don't know if that's intentional, but normally you would'nt do that.
    Rating: 9.7/10

@ ~Poke~'s Route 101 (To be changed)
    Comments: I personally don't like this as much as I like the other one. However, the path is straight and simple without much effort to be used, which I like. I also love the idea of the skipping stones.
    Suggestions: Once again, I personally think you should take out more secret bases. Also, you really loaded up on trees - I would take more out.
    Rating: 7.6/10

@ RainDogg54's Eluvia Town
    Comments: I don't really like this map. I think it is way too empty, and the path takes up lots of space even though it is really boring. There is so much space between houses and the sort.
    Suggestions: Add more things, or make the map smaller. The way it looks now, there is either not enough things in it or the map is way too big. Also, throw in some curves in the path and stuff to make it more interesting. Also, on the houses, you are missing a row of the roof, which makes it look really abnormal.
    Rating: 5.8/10

@ tainui's N/A
    Comments:
    I personally do not like this map. There is nothing in it, no ledges or hedges, or even fences or houses or anything. Also, you have way too many flowers it makes it look unnatural. There are way too many wasteful dead ends as well.
    Suggestions: Add some things to spice up the map. It is really boring and doesn't have anything in it at all. Take away the dead ends as well.
    Rating: 5.2/10

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Map name: Route 1
    Base ROM: Emerald
    Comments: N/A
    Credits: Kyledove, WAH, And myself.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

Map looks fairly decent, though I don't think the mountain tiles and trees mix together very well, and flowers arn't seperated and tend to be grouped so your rating is:

8.5/10

.Tactic.

x.Paranoid's BackAlley.x
    Years
  • Map looks fairly decent, though I don't think the mountain tiles and trees mix together very well, and flowers arn't seperated and tend to be grouped so your rating is:

8.5/10

You took off points for the fact that the mountain and tree tiles dont look good together?! Its not a tile rating tead its a map rating thread!

Plz can someone else also rate it?

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    You took off points for the fact that the mountain and tree tiles dont look good together?! Its not a tile rating tead its a map rating thread!

Plz can someone else also rate it?

no no, i took off points for the flowers not being spread apart and for the overall appearance please don't come to rude conclusions. The pallette thing was a side comment T_T.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back