• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
    Map name: Route 1
    Base ROM: Emerald
    Comments: N/A
    Credits: Kyledove, WAH, And myself.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:
    So, you switched to Emerald?

Your mapping has certainly improved. Try avoiding square paths (such as the sand). I'd also be happier if the grass was in clumps. I don't like how you use multiple trees too, use one of them!

8/10, which, for you, is pretty good :)

On the side note, the mountain pallete doesn't look well, but the other palletes rock!
    Good luck

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years

@ ~Poke~'s Animal Sanctuary
    Comments: I have to say, you made ol' Fortree City which usually sucks, turn really great. All the different Pokemon add a great essence which makes it really realistic, as if a real Animal Sanctuary. The river looks great as well.
    Suggestions: The only problem I really see is that you have too many secret base houses. I don't know if that's intentional, but normally you would'nt do that.
    Rating: 9.7/10

@ ~Poke~'s Route 101 (To be changed)
    Comments: I personally don't like this as much as I like the other one. However, the path is straight and simple without much effort to be used, which I like. I also love the idea of the skipping stones.
    Suggestions: Once again, I personally think you should take out more secret bases. Also, you really loaded up on trees - I would take more out.
    Rating: 7.6/10

The secret base houses are for decorations. They're bushes. And there's lots of trees because this is a forest/jungle sort of place.

And now, a rating.

Map name: Route 1
    Base ROM: Emerald
    Comments: N/A
    Credits: Kyledove, WAH, And myself.
    Map Picture:
    Spoiler:

This is a nice route, with a few twists and shortcuts, but not overly complex. A few complaints though. Your grass placement, while natural is not optimized for playability. Assuming you can walk behind those tree-tops, the grass is easily skipped. Also, your flowers are a little too spread out, that wouldn't happen naturally. Lastly, in the top third of the map your mountain is really straight. I know most of it won't be visible during play, but I'm a perfectionist like that.

Ven

Tyrian
    Years
    • Seen Mar 19, 2011
    Name: Orin Way
    ROM: FireRed
    Comments: Well, for some reason the map seems... Messy to me.
    Also, I've been trying to use tree shading, and I'm pretty bad at it,
    so pointing out any of the over 9000 shading errors would be appreciated.
    Spoiler:

Last edited:

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Map Name: Katae Town
    Map Game: Pokémon Blizzard - Pokémon FireRed
    Comments: This is for my hack, Pokémon Blizzard, originally by Eeveon. I hope you like it! The snow ROM base hasn't been used in a while, so I hope you get used to seeing it around here a lot!
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
    Name: Orin Way
    ROM: FireRed
    Comments: Well, for some reason the map seems... Messy to me.
    Also, I've been trying to use tree shading, and I'm pretty bad at it,
    so pointing out any of the over 9000 shading errors would be appreciated.
    Spoiler:
    Gladly.
    Spoiler:

Most of them were just mistakes where you forgot to put it, but some (near the cliffs) are actual mistakes. Never have shading under a tree roof.

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Map Name: Katae Town
    Comments: This is for my hack, Pokémon Blizzard, originally by Eeveon. I hope you like it! The snow ROM base hasn't been used in a while, so I hope you get used to seeing it around here a lot!
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

A simple-looking town, yet appealing. [Oh wait, no Pokecenter? what a pity...]
    Now, unless you replaced those tree tiles with new ones-so there's nothing you could do-my eagle]/s] eye spots tree tiles in the shading. the rest is simply brilliant. You're getting better and better.
    9/10.

~Hot n' Cold~

is too good for a title.
    Years
    Map Name: Hail Trail
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

558122_DG

Learning how to make mistakes
    Years
    • Seen May 27, 2021
    Map Name: Hail Trail
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Very nicely mapped Hot n cold. I would say for improvement...maybe nor overuse that 4 mountain sides tile?

Um,
    9/10
    great :)

well here is my sorry attempt.
    Spoiler:

Credits to Alistar for house and mountains.

BlitŻ1

guahh my dog is so cute
    Years
    Map Name: Aloaya Region
    Hack: Pokemon Saturn
    Hack of: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: Just my region map for saturn ^-^, it's incomplete, I make the region map as I map the region :P

Map Name: Jaiz Path
    Hack: Pokemon Saturn
    Hack of: Fire Red
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: The route adjacent to Vensien town, and connects to Balen City to the North. ^-^

Just a repost :P Can anybody rate?

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    Just a repost :P Can anybody rate?
    for your world map:
    It looks empty. It's incomplete so can't give an exact rating.
    7-9.5/10

for the route:
    first of all I like the tiles except for the grass sand transition, but I'm not going to rate on tiles. secondly I noticed the lake looked kind of weird(shape wise), also you left out the corners for the water-sand transition in some parts of the map, so that will make it look really weird when it is seen moving in game. I really like the shape. It looks like it feels like a player would enjoy walking through the map,and looking at the scenery, except there is so darn much wild grass. I would make some clumps of it, and then use the pathes, and tiny grass to fill in the empty parts.I see some tree shading errors, but everybody has those. lastly you could add some ledges, small rocks and 2x2 mountains. I think that's it, and I have to go now so:.........7.5/10. remember most of this is because If I were the player I would dislike going through it since it has so much grass.

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
    Years
    Name: Azure Village
    Game: Pokémon Infernal Legend
    Credits: Nintendo, Kyledove, Fanking Omega
    Comments: Okay, this is meant to be square and use Fire Red style tiles, so pleaase don't comment on that.
    Map:
    Spoiler:

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Comments: Okay, this is meant to be square and use Fire Red style tiles, so pleaase don't comment on that.
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Pretty good placement for a small town, the gym sign attached to the wall seems a good idea (irrelevant). The tree in the middle is marvelous.

9/10, because of that rock between the house and the mart, which turned me off :(

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    @PokePal
    Nice map overall, just two things, the rock between the house and the mart, and the tile error with the gym sign, other than that awesome job ;)

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    *chooses random map on last page*

Map:
    Spoiler:
    I haven't posted here in a while, so... Why not?

You're saying I shouldn't comment on the squariness? I think it looks pretty good... Although it looks weird that it has the SAME squariness on both sides So OK, I won't let it affect the rating too bad.

I like how the tree is placed. It's the only tree in the entire area, so it has a good placement (and choice of tree).
    The town looks a bit crammed, mostly in quite a good way (Lavaridge Town kinda way), but this gives some minuses on the movement, the player almost feels clumsy, I could imagine.

I don't really like the placement of the rocks for some reason... For example, the southern one ruins the whole path in a way. They also sometimes come just almost too near the doors of the houses. But not more then almost. SO I'm gonna let it be. I would've put the rocks a bit closer to the edges of the town, so they won't be in the players way. This is a town, and not a route or cave, after all.

Speaking of things blocking paths (I've been doing that for quite the while now, haven't I? :P), some other things, like the sign-Mart passageway, bothers me. If it's a small town, and there is another way around, then fine, but if a NPC happens to stand in the way, the player might have a hard time.

I also find it a little off that there are no paths in the town. Now, it IS FireRed tiles, but I just think a town looks weird without them.

(Also, tile error behind Gym sign.)

Please don't hang up on my bad things, I tend to put alot of effort into them ^_^"...

Well, a 6/10'll do fine. Pokey Out!

Anselection

Malicious Mapper
    Years
    • Seen Dec 20, 2011
    Map name: Village of Umbreon
    Rom: Fire red(GoldenGlow base)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: First map in a while. This'll be a city in a rom base I hope to create with a new region(Just so people who don't like mapping don't have to waste time.) Rating method(preferred) Pros < Cons < Rating(1-10) < Comments

Matteron (96)

Can't Read Lookin Ass
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2024
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: First map in a while. This'll be a city in a rom base I hope to create with a new region(Just so people who don't like mapping don't have to waste time.) Rating method(preferred) Pros < Cons < Rating(1-10) < Comments
    0/10, I'm sorry but this map is awful, tile errors, huge, boundary errors, etc.

~Poke~

Hasn't played 5th gen yet.
    Years
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

This map is too spaced out. You could halve the size and still have everything in it, and then it might look nice. There are also too little trees, you should have some around the edge, so you can make it look rounded a bit. You don't really need to fence away the tree either, do you?

However, it does have a decent design. This map could be nice, if your mapping skills improve (no offence intended).

Overall, 2/10

Years
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Hmm this isn't very good to be honest, first the flowers are too much and to random, it's better to place them in groups of 2/3. Second waaaaay to much open spaces.

I like the way you made the rock walls, but the big mountain or something at the middle bottom is a turn-off. The water can also need a little more movement, if you know what I mean.. Well I mean the corners etc. are to tight make it a bit more natural/random.

The map could use some more trees (this is also a good way to fill up the map a bit). The placement of the trees is a bit simple and repeating, as i've been saying the whole time you need to randomize it a bit don't keep using the same patterns.

And why is there the same mistake in every little blue roofed house? This map is a bit sloppy and fast made imo.

Well I don't know much more to say if I do i'll edit..
    Rating: 2/10

Tip: You should study some maps of Neti or Disturbed (Don't know if he still is called that way, if i'm right he's also known as Jake2 or just Jake or something) and just look at every other map with a rating above 6 to ;) or just every map so you can learn from other comments on other maps.

ooh and @ Matteron: You should give some better critique and some tips instead of just saying this is crap, specify things that he can improve.

Quest

Veteran Roleplayer
    Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2023
    Name: Primrose town and Haliver City
    Game: Firered
    Comments: Both are a little blank the Haliver city has two caves for the two great sages but is better to me :P.
    Map:
    Primrose town:
    Spoiler:

Haliver city:
    Spoiler:

Please rate like this: Pros < Cons < Rating(1-10) < Comments

Banjora Marxvile

hOI!!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen yesterday
    Name: Primrose town and Haliver City
    Game: Firered
    Comments: Both are a little blank the Haliver city has two caves for the two great sages but is better to me :P.
    Map:
    Primrose town:
    Spoiler:

Haliver city:
    Spoiler:

Please rate like this: Pros < Cons < Rating(1-10) < Comments

OK, fine so, this structure Pros < Cons < Rating(1-10) < Comments.

Map 1.
    Pros: Right amount of free space.
    Cons: Same grass tile, when FR has 5 different types, stairs have a tile error (shadows!), mountains seem unnaturally square, path is too big, too many flowers in too little groups, blue house too long, Too square in placement of trees, not enough trees. border block?
    Rating: 6/10
    Comments: Look at my cons, and see if you can figure it out from there. My comments: Improve the cons!

Map 2.
    Pros: Err...
    Cons: Stairs again, same grass tile again, PC has an error on it (next to the door!), too much free space, not enough buildings, square mountains again, too much of the path, no need for the fences at the top, Border Block, some issues with the Mart, where behind the roof has the dark path, when it shouldn't be. And (not your fault), if you look closely on the yellow buildings, there is a black or dark blue dot on the corner of the roof. That is a thing Nintendo never fixed, and is a tile error.
    Rating: 5/10
    Comments: Mainly the free space, but please take more care in mapping. Observe other maps first to get a feel for your own style, as everyone has a unique style, and you need to find it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back