• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabbit

where is my mind?
Years
  • Spoiler:

Poshley Town, exclusive new tree, path made by me (based on the HGSS obviously), the Station tiles, and the University.
    Credits to: zein, Kyledove, Alucus

Very nice! The street tiles look fantastic next to the grass. Are those little dots...drains? XD Wow. There's a lot of detail in this map that makes it very appealing. My favourite bit is the patch of grass with two benches in front of the university. It's the kind of place you'd want to stop in to have a look around.

There are only a few things I'm going to nit-pick. First, your long bush tiles (if that's what they are) resemble an eclair with green icing. Second, there's a patch of grass above the top right bench that seems to lead somewhere...does it really? Is it a park of some sort? Third, the trees in the bottom right-hand corner are unevenly spaced. What's up with that? I think I see why you did it, actually. But I think it would be better to shift a whole row of trees to the right one tile, to make them line up, than to make random holes in them to cover up the fact that they don't align.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Poshley Town, exclusive new tree, path made by me (based on the HGSS obviously), the Station tiles, and the University.
    I haven't rated a map in a while so here goes.

Well of course the tiles are nice and everything, but if I must say so the house placement is pretty poor. For example the house on the bottom left, it looks like it's been placed there randomly. You might want to move the houses around, I'm not telling you have to it's just what I think will be better. One more thing thats really annoying me about it is that signpost when you come in to the town, I think you should move it on the side of the path as it looks like it's in the way. Anyway everything else is nice and I think you've done a good job. I'll give it a 7.5/10.

AWind13

I'm Procrastinating
    Years
  • <AWind13 hasn't made 15 posts yet, therefore can't post links>

I like just about everything about this map, and doesn't it seem a LOT like POSHLEY HEIGHTS from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door? Anyhow, the street edge fits right into the rest, I like the placement of the trees and houses, and it's pretty much flawless.

Rating: 9.25/10

Umbreon_

muwahh
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Spoiler:

All I can say is that this map is influenced by Nintendo. :]

Everything is nicely placed and the idea of the town is well-thought.

10/10

Years
  • Noone rated my last one so here's another.

Obsidian Town
    Pokémon Jade (FR Rom Hack)
    Starting Town

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    Just a little practice map made by me, it's not in a hack:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    ignore the border errors, they've been fixed.
    Sorry for the bad ice puzzle, I just didn't have any time to make a good one...
    Credits to Neti, and whoever made the tiles in his snow rombase(Sorry, I forgot.:()

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2010
    Noone rated my last one so here's another.

I'm not trying to be mean, especially as I'm only a decent mapper in my humble opinion, but everything about this map hurts my eyes. It's mediocre placement, the paths through the trees also would be nice to fix. Also, the houses are rather weird looking. All of them. I've tried to do what you're doing, meaning, using the same house tiles to make different looking houses, and trust me: it doesn't work. The end result is always rather iffy.

I won't give a rating, because I feel like I'd seem mean. But really, work on the issues, and see where it goes. :)

Just a little practice map made by me, it's not in a hack:

I really love the tiles that he's got there. I know you didn't do them, but they're very nice all the same.

The one thing that really bugs me on this map is the grass placement. I know that grass grows randomly sometimes, but it's just too sporadic to be very realistic to me imo. It's like the randomness is too controlled, if you know what I mean? Make it random, but don't make it seem like it's TRYING to be random.

And the ice puzzle isn't too bad at all. Nothing outrageous, but it's by far the most interesting part of the map.

Despite my seeming harshness, I do like how the layout of this map overall. It's just that the grass bugs me a ton. I'd give it a 7 or 8 out of 10.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Just a little practice map made by me, it's not in a hack:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    ignore the border errors, they've been fixed.
    Sorry for the bad ice puzzle, I just didn't have any time to make a good one...
    Credits to Neti, and whoever made the tiles in his snow rombase(Sorry, I forgot.:()

that grass is just...ew. It's all sporadic and random. That's not natural, that's not playable, that's just bad. Please, just group them together.

Space is also an issue. In some places (like the top exit) there isn't enough. In others, there's just too much and the sporadic grass looks like you're trying to fill it up. Also some tree shading errors around.

The idea of the map is nice, but the checkerboard grass placement ruins it.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    that grass is just...ew. It's all sporadic and random. That's not natural, that's not playable, that's just bad. Please, just group them together.

Space is also an issue. In some places (like the top exit) there isn't enough. In others, there's just too much and the sporadic grass looks like you're trying to fill it up. Also some tree shading errors around.

The idea of the map is nice, but the checkerboard grass placement ruins it.
    I just hate it when all the grass is bunched together in nintendo styled maps...
    I'd agree I went abit overbard with all the grass though.

Anyway, here's another map by me to rate, using the same rombase:
    Map Rating/Review Thread
    Remember, to ignore border errors.

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Spoiler:

First look, wow, very nice map. On my second look though, I noticed that this map is heavily unbalanced. Everything and anything that's important is at the top half of the map. Another thing I noticed is that the storm drains, while they are a nice touch, are clustered together. I'd say spread those out more and it won't be a difficult change. Also, at the top right house, is it possible to walk behind it to get to the small area there? Because if it isn't possible to go there, I wouldn't put that opening. It makes the player think there is some way to get there and that there may be a hidden item. I don't really like the sign in the middle of the path at the bottom as someone else also pointed out.

On to what I like now. I really like your diversity in vegetation. It's something I myself always strive for in my maps, but I can never really get it. I really love all the tiles actually. They fit so well and they really convey the city feel. Especially the sidewalk and road tiles. I love those. It's a really nice city map.

8.5/10

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Just wanted to check out your opinions on this map. I know it's small, but I do hope you'll like it. All credits belong to Nintendo.

Umbreon_

muwahh
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Spoiler:

Just wanted to check out your opinions on this map. I know it's small, but I do hope you'll like it. All credits belong to Nintendo.
    The map is actually boring. o.o

I can't see any excitement that will be happening in that map. The grasses didnt' have any sense since you can pass easily. :/

3/10

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    Well, here is my next map.
    It's my first scratch-made cave, the only other cave I made was SNOWY MOUTAIN (I spelled mountain wrong), and that was a Mt. Moon edit.

Anyway here it is:

Map Name: Sandrift Cave
    Rom Base: Fire Red
    Rom Hack: TriColor
    Floors/Rooms: R2
    Weather: Clear
    Description:
    Sandrift cave is the first dungeon you visit, even though it's really small. Before you get to R2, Green confronts you, and challenges you to a battle. Green has a level eight Snorunt, so it's not a problem. R2 is a straight path down, with a item ball near the north.
    after avoiding or battling a optional hiker you are let into a sandy room with the stairs leading to the next Dungeon, Pebblestone Perch.

Image:
    https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/921/sandriftcave.png

Alignment

Revered with the stars
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    Well, here is my next map.
    It's my first scratch-made cave, the only other cave I made was SNOWY MOUTAIN (I spelled mountain wrong), and that was a Mt. Moon edit.

Anyway here it is:

Map Name: Sandrift Cave
    Rom Base: Fire Red
    Rom Hack: TriColor
    Floors/Rooms: R2
    Weather: Clear
    Description:
    Sandrift cave is the first dungeon you visit, even though it's really small. Before you get to R2, Green confronts you, and challenges you to a battle. Green has a level eight Snorunt, so it's not a problem. R2 is a straight path down, with a item ball near the north.
    after avoiding or battling a optional hiker you are let into a sandy room with the stairs leading to the next Dungeon, Pebblestone Perch.

Image:
    https://img232.imageshack.us/img232/921/sandriftcave.png

I see a tile error!
    Anyways the map has many blank spaces, I think you should map the mountain to be more natural, with more natural folds some more mountain-type texture like this map here:

Spoiler:

There are also a lot of empty spaces and the map looks quite boring as well.

Last edited:

Collen

I have returned.
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2015
    I see a tile error!
    Anyways the map has many blank spaces, I think you should map the mountain to be more natural, with more natural folds some more mountain-type texture like this map here:

There are also a lot of empty spaces and the map looks quite boring as well.

Thanks for the advice.
    Here is the new version:
    Spoiler:

simdu68

asleep all summer zzZZ
    Years
  • Spoiler:

just reposting a map because I had no ratings for it, hope someone rates this time :)

andyp159

Master of Fire!
    Years
  • Spoiler:

I quite like this map. It has been a while since I have rated here, so bear with me. The large tree placement is excellent, although some areas look a little cramped together (although I get this feeling playing through HeartGold, so don't worry too much about it.)
    What I don't like is, the sand tile. It looks too bright, and doesn't match with the long grass - long grass on a beach? You need a crossover tile of some sort... (also why is there sand under some of the long grass tiles in the middle of the map?)
    Moreso, I don't like the top forest, small trees. I can't explain why, I just don't.
    Also, One bit of advice, try not ton put flowers in long grass. I don't think it looks great. Flowers should be grouped together, in small groups not touching each other directly, to make them look good.
    Overall, a good map, 7/10

Skara

THIS. IS. SEMPITERNAL.
    Years
  • Spoiler:

Just wanted to check out your opinions on this map. I know it's small, but I do hope you'll like it. All credits belong to Game Freak.

Fixed. Game Freak make Pokémon.

Nice map, grass needs more veriety since It's just one tile.
    Other then that It's brilliant.
    96%

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back