• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mascot Pokemon Always Large?

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    Ever since GSC all of the Mascot Pokemon seem to be giant legendary Pokemon. (Other than FRLG).

Silver had Luiga the Giant Water Psychic Bird.
    Gold had Ho-Oh the Giant Fire Bird.
    Ruby had Groudon the Giant Ground Monster.
    Sapphire had Kyogre the Giant Whale.
    Emerald had Rayquaza the Giant Flying Snake.
    Diamond had Dialga the Giant Steel Dragon.
    Pearl had Palkia the Giant Water Dragon.
    Platinum had Giratina the Giant Ghost Dragon.
    HG and SS had Lugia and Ho-Oh Again.
    Black has Reshiram the Giant Fire Generator thing.
    White has Zekrom the Giant Electric Generator thing.

They are all giant. Do you think we will ever get game Mascots that are some of the smaller legendaries, like Meloetta? I think it'd be cool to have a Game Mascot not be a giant legendary but something still powerful but less... large.

Just my own personal thought...

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I always thought Celebi would have been a nice mascot, tbh. :( But eh, never happened. I don't think we'll get any small mascots anymore though. It would be a nice change of pace, I gotta admit. If there's a gen VI, I think it'd be a nice touch.

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    I always thought Celebi would have been a nice mascot, tbh. :( But eh, never happened. I don't think we'll get any small mascots anymore though. It would be a nice change of pace, I gotta admit. If there's a gen VI, I think it'd be a nice touch.

Yeah, I love Celebi and it would make an awesome mascot Pokemon for a game because of its time travel ability which could make for a nice storyline.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2011
    I agree, Celebi would have been great. I'd have liked for Mew and Jirachi to have been mascots, too.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
  • Yeah, I love Celebi and it would make an awesome mascot Pokemon for a game because of its time travel ability which could make for a nice storyline.

Maybe Celebi could travel us to a future Kanto in which that goddamn building in Vermilion City has been built. Seriously, that old guy had his Machop plowing the land for three years, without getting any money to actually build the damn thing? Please.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I agree with the Celebi being a mascot for once, as well as Meloetta and Mew.

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    Is it me or no one ever think of Pikachu? XD

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Is it me or no one ever think of Pikachu? XD

He said after GSC, lol.

Yeah, I love Celebi and it would make an awesome mascot Pokemon for a game because of its time travel ability which could make for a nice storyline.

Most definitely. I guess the closest we'll get to that is the event Celebi's sidequest in HGSS though. :'(

Winson

Legendary Pokemon Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 12, 2013
    He said after GSC, lol.
    But even so, in the first 3 First Generation Games have the Final Stage Starters as Mascots, which are still bigger than the Player Character while Pikachu, the Pokemon Yellow Mascot, is smaller than the Player Character. So yeah. XD

Heart Gold

Jellicent Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Feb 6, 2012
    But even so, in the first 3 First Generation Games have the Final Stage Starters as Mascots, which are still bigger than the Player Character while Pikachu, the Pokemon Yellow Mascot, is smaller than the Player Character. So yeah. XD

Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur are somewhat large but nowhere near as big as those listed. Also, it's been 13 years since Pokemon Yellow, and 13 years of giant legendaries feels a bit repetitive.

PiPVoda

water, Forever
    Years
    • He / Him
    • USA
    • Seen Dec 2, 2022
    Perhaps the mascot pokemon are legendaries now because since GSC the games have ultimately been somewhat formed around the legendary pokemon that just happens to be the greatest pokemon to ever live, or the creator of a region, world, etc.

If you ask me my favorite mascots would have to be RSE and Black and White. But of course in future games I don't think it'd be a bad idea to make the mascots smaller and not so legendary. We'll see.

HinaBaby

#1 Spongebob Fan!
    Years
  • The mascots were apparently huge since they were the image of that region, but I'd love to see small ones too such as Mew, Celebi, Manaphy.

Years
  • NO

A MAJORITY OF WHY POKEMON GAMES SELL, IS BECUZ YOU HAVE THIS AWESOME LOOKING PWOERFUL HUGE POKEMON ON THE FRONT, I HATE CUTE POKEMON!! ITS NOT HAPPENING SISTER ITS LARGE OR NOTHIN

AND NOT ALL OF THE MASCOTS ARE HUGE, RED/GREEN/BLUE'S MASCOTS WERENT HUGE, SUICUNE FROM CRYSTAL WASNT HUGE, AND THE LARGEST ONE OF ALL IS PIKACHU FROM YELLOW (i was being sarcastic with the pikachu yellow thingy)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • No, I don't think that future games will be using "smaller" legends because the bigger legends may play a prominent part in the storyline.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • I'm glad that we have large legendaries. They showcase POWA!! :rambo:

Pikachu's the only exception I'm going to make regarding mascots, because:

• Generation 1 kickstarted the whole franchise
    • Pikachu's the partner of the main character of the Pokemon anime (which almost screams "mascot" by default), and because
    • Yellow was a 'third version'
    • Additionally, because Ash's Pikachu has demonstrated BA-ness several times over in the anime compared to many other Pokemon species

In future generations, I feel that mascot status would be out of place for small Mew-esque legendaries or regional starter Pokemon. Mew and its "brethren" are fabled in legends and all, but the movies IMO commonly depict them as vulnerable and/or helpless, frequently requiring assistance from people like Ash and such. All of the titanic legendaries (Lugia-esque size) seem to hold their own for the most part, rarely needing help save for certain circumstances where human help is necessitated.
    It would kind of detract from my "cause" if I had to constantly go and save my mascot from harm and such. That's why I prefer Lugia-sized legendaries, as they can wreak havoc and convey from the get-go (with their appearance(s)) that if opponents screw with us, they are not going to emerge from the conflict unharmed and unscathed.

Opalescent

Ninja Mapper
    Years
    • Seen May 25, 2012
    What about a NON legendary mascot? Like FR/LG? Evee would work for both sides :)

Serperior

ɱɛʟт
    Years
  • I like what they did in Red and Blue [not sure for Green] is that they "rotated" the Pokemon in the start screen.
    They should bring that back, too.

Back