• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Maximum Playing Hours Glitch

Otherworld9)

Bard of Rage
    Years
    Has anyone actually played so much that your clock says 999999...and so on and does not seem to increase? It has happened to me, and noticed not many actually play that much and understand why...I don't know if this glitch happens in D/P/PL or in other games, but I know it happens in R/S/E.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    Possibly a lack of space in the cartridge seeing as R/S/FR/LG/E are big games. Could be the same for the 4th gen games on the DS.

Capris

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2011
    I think if it was the same for dpp it would have happened by now, because surely however long somebody has played on rse somebody has managed to beat that on dpp since you can continue playing with wifi and events long after you've finished the actual game. It gives you more incentive not to delete your game whereas in rse it's more tempting to restart the game from the beginning which would reset the timer.

My personal highest amount of time was in fire red, it was something like 154 hours which is pretty ridiculous for a game that you could probably beat in less than 25.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's not a glitch, it's a limit — they have to place one somewhere.
    I've never even nearly played enough to get that many hours in; amazes me how many people apparently have.

pumpkinziggy

Hunting for shiny Articuno
    Years
    It is. The max any game clock can go in any Pokèmon game is 999:99. In GSC, the game resets if you get there. The reason why is the game cannot track any higher because that's the maximum amount of digits that the game is made to display.

When I played my Gold, which had its internal battery run dry, my clock reached 999:59 because I never turned it off, but it didn't reset.

But that was the only time I ever reached that amount... The second highest I've ever had was about 150 hours...

Moonlord

The ........MewTwo
    Years
    • LA
    • Seen Feb 6, 2011
    I'm not nearly close to reach the limit...I have about five pokemon games to play on so ;) I'd think I'm never gonna get there.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
    I have only reached 999:99 on my pokemon diamond.Its not a glitch thou its a limit.They think that no one is really that interested in pokemon that they would play over that timelimit before they were to get ride of the game or a new one would come out i guess.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
    I'm at about 750 on emerald right now. If you count resets, I may have reached it, but unfortunatly it doesn't save that... Does anyone know if the game ever stops saving like in gsc, cause if so I'll have to make backups every twenty five hours or so. Also I have NEVER left the game on over night to rack up time, so I have at least 800hrs playtime.

ShaQuL

ShaQuL
    Years
    • Age 25
    • UK
    • Seen Sep 22, 2015
    i havent got it but i soon will :( does it do something to the game?

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
    Does anyone know if the game ever stops saving like in gsc, cause if so I'll have to make backups every twenty five hours or so.

They will, but not for a long time. I think I've heard that some cartridges are supposed to last more than a lifetime.

Last edited:
    Back