• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

May 2nd: Canadian Federal Election

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    For those of you here up with me in Canada, as you should all know we've got a Federal election scheduled for May 2nd. The English debate has just finished. What were all your thoughts?

Discuss.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
  • I didn't get a chance to catch all of it. I've PVRed it and will be watching the rest.

But from what I did see... I would have liked it more if everyone attacked or posed questions everyone else. It was NDP, Liberal, and Bloq against Conservatives and Conservative versus NDP, Liberal, and Bloq. I want to see the NDP and Liberals square off XD

Hopefully the whole thing wasn't like that.

Will give full thoughts after I watch

Years
  • If in doubt, just vote the far left, my friends.

Go NDP guys, it's surging ahead of the Liberals surprisingly enough.

41 things about election 41

Spoiler:

This campaign season has certainly been exciting. :)

Pwnyta Jockey

Bees Hate You, Pwnyta!
    Years
  • On topic, I've been at Tim Horton's for XL double-double's THREE times since noon May 1st. Figure I should be ready to vote. Again. When I stop shaking.

Hope the lines are 'nice'.

*clubs a Harper seal*

Last edited:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Well it seems we'll be entering four years of a majority Conservative government.

Thoughts?

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • DO. NOT. WANT.

I'd have been fine with a cons minority but majority? Nooo get Harper out of here. ;_; I'm sick of him and his creepy smile. So, SO disappointed with the GTA, too. It's so blue now! :( :( :(

It's gonna be really weird considering the NDP as the main opposition, assuming that sticks. It's always been Liberal vs Conservatives as long as I can remember and NDP was always just kinda sitting there. For them to get over 100 seats is just weird to me, haha.

Also lol, Iggy you probably had to TRY to do worse for the Liberal party than Dion did. :( Fail.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    Not happy with the results either, myself. I knew that Harper would win the elections and while that's certainly not what I wanted, I'm most disappointed with the fact that it's a majority government.

I have to agree with Lightning, though. It's kinda weird seeing the NDP as the main opposition as opposed to the Liberals. The fact that they did so well this election surprised me tbh.

Years
  • Well, Canada you guys just found out the positive things about a 2 party system. No vote-splitting and therefore a strong majority when the time comes.

But yeah The Liberals and NDP combined polled a lot more than the conservatives so yeah...

GO NDP. Orange boo-yeah~ (That's a far cry from my Conservative blue days 2 years ago. xD)

Varin

Storm'd at with shot and shell
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    And this just displays why FPTP is an antiquated system not fit for modern democracy.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Well really, it's hardly a majority. 40% of the votes and they win a majority?

Varin

Storm'd at with shot and shell
    Years
    • Seen Mar 24, 2013
    Precisely. Canada needs to adopt something like List PR or Single Transferable Vote.

Years
  • Will the Bloc die out now after losing pretty much all of their seats in Federal Parliament? Let's hope so. I've always struggled to understand why a separatist party should have a say in Federal government, especially on matters such budget allocation which would affect the rest of the country.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • I think the strange thing is that while he got 40% of the vote, Harper got 54% of Parliament. I know it's because of the vote-splitting, but it still irks me.

I was really hoping for a Layton-led coalition this time, but alas, it never came to be. But I am enthralled at the fact that the NDP got so many seats this time, especially from Québec. I hope Layton can manage his new hoard of MP's well, as he's got a lot of newcomers on his hands. Some are still in school, even! :O

Twas a good end for Iggy, methinks. Not even elected in his own riding, while ending up with less seats than Jack had before this all started. You should never have looked to Jack on national television and told him he'll never be prime minister. That's just bad karma, dude. XD

FreakyLocz14

Conservative Patriot
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2018
    The Conservatives won big! I'm glad that they have a true majority now.

parallelzero

chelia.blendy
    Years
  • While there was an important breakthrough with the NDP becoming the official opposition, the overall results are disappointing at best. I would have been okay with a Conservative minority, but a majority for four years? Everyone who voted Conservative will have no right to complain when Harper starts screwing them over. I was really hoping the Orange Wave would be more significant - but it ended up taking too much from the Liberals and not enough from the Conservatives.

And so the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. It's a bad time to be a student.

Back