• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolution in Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire

Do you think there will be new Mega forms?

• Yes

Votes: 232 93.5%
  • No

Votes: 16 6.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I believe it has to do with the popularity of Blaziken combined with the opportunity to distribute an event. XY didn't have a Victini-like legendary that could be revealed early on (before the games' release) and distributed within the games' first few months. I can honestly see it being something along the lines of: "We have the Hoenn starters with Megas because of ORAS, but we need something extra as an incentive for people to buy XY at launch. Blaziken is popular, so let's distribute Torchic with Blazikenite during the release of XY."

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    I believe it has to do with the popularity of Blaziken

Yeah, Blaziken is a pretty popular Pokémon, and obviously much more popular than the other two. That's why it possibly it even lead rise the the Fire/Fight next gen starters. And got Speed Boost. A perfect way to tease the remakes.

Years
  • Yeah, Blaziken is a pretty popular Pokémon, and obviously much more popular than the other two. That's why it possibly it even lead rise the the Fire/Fight next gen starters. And got Speed Boost. A perfect way to tease the remakes.

I totally agree here, Blaziken is like one of the most popular starters ever, and it was what started the Fire/Fighting type combination that also carried over to the next two generations' Fire starters. Rivvon also has a point because 6th Gen is the only generation to not release a cute-looking 600 BST legendary (although I think the currently unreleased Hoopa might fill this role, it's small, sorta cute and it's Psychic-type which most of these Pokemon tend to be) so I guess they wanted to try something different with the generation's first event and instead decided to distribute a Torchic with its Mega Stone attached, which otherwise couldn't be obtained in-game.

I do hope Swampert and Sceptile can get a Mega in OR/AS to even out the Hoenn starters, otherwise I'll be imagining way too many people picking Torchic as their starter when they play the games. We can't have everything lopsided, especially starter choice.

Years
  • Although the Kanto starters are all a lot more popular than the rest of the bunch because they were the first ones of the franchise, the only one of the three that is notably popular is Charizard, and yet they still gave Venasaur and Blastoise mega evolutions. Blaziken was used a lot more often then the other two RSE starters, but based on what Game Freak did with a similar Kanto situation, there's a good chance Swampert and Sceptile get mega evolutions.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Although the Kanto starters are all a lot more popular than the rest of the bunch because they were the first ones of the franchise, the only one of the three that is notably popular is Charizard, and yet they still gave Venasaur and Blastoise mega evolutions. Blaziken was used a lot more often then the other two RSE starters, but based on what Game Freak did with a similar Kanto situation, there's a good chance Swampert and Sceptile get mega evolutions.

While the other two got Megas Charizard's popularity did get it two rather than the one the other two go. Hmm...so if popularity plays a role then Infernape will probably get something over the other two (it seems the most popular out of the three), and Greninja or Delphox for Gen V (even though (sadly :( ) it's not as useful as Greninja it seems to be popular too). Delphox is similar to Charizard in that it's use can be attributed more to it's design rather than it's usefulness in battle. Similar to Delphox and Charizard , Serperior was picked over the other two for it's design by fans. Of course could be Samurrot who currently seems more popular (is there a starters by generation thread for us to look at?). Typlosion I think is the most popular out of the three Johto ones.

Blaziken got early bird cameo as it's reward (I don't see it having another mega, however, the chance is still there).

I get a feeling that the fire starters will get the most megas/ get them early / best abilities out of the three as they tend to be the most popular of their generation (exception is Gen V).

Years
  • There's a lot of existing Mega evolutions that refute the general theory that only popular Pokemon are in the running to get one, like Medicham and Banette. However, if you narrow that pool down to just starters, arguably the two most popular starter Pokemon received Mega evolutions, both Blaziken and Charizard, with Charizard getting two forms.

I would say that if they were going to give Mega evolutions to all starters, why not design all of them for X and Y, but I think it makes sense to spread the releases out across various games. All at once wouldn't have nearly the same effect and cause for buzz over the games. :c

Years
  • There's a lot of existing Mega evolutions that refute the general theory that only popular Pokemon are in the running to get one, like Medicham and Banette. However, if you narrow that pool down to just starters, arguably the two most popular starter Pokemon received Mega evolutions, both Blaziken and Charizard, with Charizard getting two forms.

I would say that if they were going to give Mega evolutions to all starters, why not design all of them for X and Y, but I think it makes sense to spread the releases out across various games. All at once wouldn't have nearly the same effect and cause for buzz over the games. :c

Banette may be explained away as their was a lot of fan demand for an evolution for it after Dusclops got one in the form of Dusknoir. So it getting a Mega can be seen as delivering to fans. Medicham was also a popular candidate for an evolution. Also the other things come into play like Balance. Medicham isn't bad, it just needed a boost to bring out it's full potential. Likewise Banette had potential too, and it's mega brought it out.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • Banette may be explained away as their was a lot of fan demand for an evolution for it after Dusclops got one in the form of Dusknoir. So it getting a Mega can be seen as delivering to fans. Medicham was also a popular candidate for an evolution. Also the other things come into play like Balance. Medicham isn't bad, it just needed a boost to bring out it's full potential. Likewise Banette had potential too, and it's mega brought it out.

Kinda sucks how Banette gets a Mega while Dusclops gets a normal evo through trade. Pretty unfair if you ask me.

Years
  • Kinda sucks how Banette gets a Mega while Dusclops gets a normal evo through trade. Pretty unfair if you ask me.

You could apply this to many Pokemon, but I'm sure there's valid reasoning to be found behind every Mega evolution. Banette, unfortunately, while a wonderful design, is quite the weak Pokemon in terms of battle. Granting it a Mega evolution kind of alleviated that and gave people more of an incentive to use one. I myself refrained from using Banette in the past for this very reason, even though I loved its concept to death.

Why not continue to exploit an already popular Pokemon? Charizard, Blaziken, and Mewtwo are all well-known to all people, not just Pokemon fans. With Mega evolution, they spiked interest into anyone who might've heard and seen them, but never actually picked up a game. I think it's good marketing, and if there's new Mega evolutions to be released, they'll continue that trend.

Years
  • You could apply this to many Pokemon, but I'm sure there's valid reasoning to be found behind every Mega evolution. Banette, unfortunately, while a wonderful design, is quite the weak Pokemon in terms of battle. Granting it a Mega evolution kind of alleviated that and gave people more of an incentive to use one. I myself refrained from using Banette in the past for this very reason, even though I loved its concept to death.

Why not continue to exploit an already popular Pokemon? Charizard, Blaziken, and Mewtwo are all well-known to all people, not just Pokemon fans. With Mega evolution, they spiked interest into anyone who might've heard and seen them, but never actually picked up a game. I think it's good marketing, and if there's new Mega evolutions to be released, they'll continue that trend.

If they were going to do a Unova one Zoroark seems like a good candidate considering it's popular like the three you mentioned (plus Lucario). Also one for Raichu since it's popular only for being Pikachu's evolution...

Years
  • So, what Hoenn Pokemon do you guys not want to get a Mega evolution, if they will in fact by releasing new ones for ORAS, and why? This is a pretty difficult question for myself, because I like so many of them; I can't decide which ones I like the least, haha. n__n What's your input?

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • So, what Hoenn Pokemon do you guys not want to get a Mega evolution, if they will in fact by releasing new ones for ORAS, and why? This is a pretty difficult question for myself, because I like so many of them; I can't decide which ones I like the least, haha. n__n What's your input?

Dusknoir is one. I mean since Banette got a mega evo and Dusclops gets a normal one, it would be unfair and kinda thrown off imo. And they can be considered as version counterparts :P

Years
  • I want my Mega Mismagius Ghost/Fairy with Levitate, make it happen Game Freak.

That thing would have four types it doesn't take damage from (Normal, Fighting, Dragon, and Ground). Dark moves will become 1x thanks to Fairy. So it'll only have two weakness (Steel, and Ghost) as Poison will be 1x due to Ghost resisting it.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2014
    I do not want to see a Mega Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, or any of the other hoenn legendary pokemon. The only exceptions will be latios and lotias as I believe (how I have no idea) people have found data in X and Y for two pokemon which appear to be their mega evolutions.

Years
  • I do not want to see a Mega Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, or any of the other hoenn legendary pokemon. The only exceptions will be latios and lotias as I believe (how I have no idea) people have found data in X and Y for two pokemon which appear to be their mega evolutions.

You better hope that the woman from the Pokemon variety show's guess of them being (the Kyogre and Groudon on the box art) Megas was wrong.

I think that Hoenn in addition to having the most normal Megas will by far end up having the most Mega legendaries.

While the birds may not appear (I hope they don't), they could put their Mega stones in these games, which could only be obtained by transferring/trading them over to OrAs.

Years

• I saw this picture.... RUMOR ALERT :)

Spoiler:

Mega Rayquaza ??? {XD}

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back