• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Mega Evolutions Discussion and Speculation

Atmageth

The One and Only
Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    And just for a recap since I saw someone post earlier that they didn't know Mega Ampharos' ability, a quick list of all the Megas and their abilities:

Mega Venusaur: Thick Fat
    Mega Charizard: Drought
    Mega Blastoise: Mega Launcher
    Mega Mewtwo X: Steadfast
    Mega Mewtwo Y: Insomnia
    Mega Blaziken: Speed Boost
    Mega Lucario: Adaptability
    Mega Mawile: Huge Power
    Mega Absol: Magic Bounce
    Mega Ampharos: Mold Breaker
    Mega Kangaskhan: Parental Bond
    Mega Garchomp: Sand Force

The two new abilities Mega Launcher and Parental Bond power up "Pulse" moves and allow the Pokemon to attack twice when it attacks on that turn respectively.

I think that thick fat on mega veansaur was a good choice, it gets rid of two of it weaknesses. I think they could have done more with the design though.

Years
  • I feel MegaAbsol should've been part Fairy due to it's angel wings...or at least part flying...

My thoughts exactly! It's like they're doing it on purpose..

I really want to see Mega Scizor! I can see it's Attack and Defense stat being boosted. If it gets bigger wings then maybe it's speed will increase, though as much as I love fast Pokemon, don't think that would maximize Scizor's potential.

I can also see Houndoom getting a Mega Evolution. I'm kind of iffy on this :/ I don't want them to ruin him D: (If I see three heads I'm going to throw a ***** fit >,<)

Atmageth

The One and Only
    Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2022
    My thoughts exactly! It's like they're doing it on purpose..

I really want to see Mega Scizor! I can see it's Attack and Defense stat being boosted. If it gets bigger wings then maybe it's speed will increase, though as much as I love fast Pokemon, don't think that would maximize Scizor's potential.

I can also see Houndoom getting a Mega Evolution. I'm kind of iffy on this :/ I don't want them to ruin him D: (If I see three heads I'm going to throw a ***** fit >,<)

Scizors alradey great as it is though, i think the main purpose of mega evolutions should be to give lower tier pokemon more use. Having one or two high tier fovarites is ok (Mewtwo and Blaziken) but any more than that and it will just make the game even more unbalanced. So i don't think scizor should get a mega evo, but Houndoom should.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Ok so upon taking another look at the official site's info on Mega Pokemon. I found a little excerpt that pretty much says what I first thought. Garchomp "Loses Speed" when it becomes a Mega Pokemon. So far it is the only one with this written in, but origionally I said that these were just like any other form where the Pokemon's stats are just shifted around so they lose stats in place of the gains. Garchomp is losing speed to gain in Attack and Special Attack.

So I have a feeling that all of the Pokemon are losing some stats to give the boost to the two stats that are listed with them on the main Pokemon site.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    If Mega Pokémon are indeed losing some of their stats to gain a boost in a few of their other stats, then I could easily see Mega Charizard losing its defensive stats a bit. Mega Charizard looks a lot less bulky than its regular form, so I'm not expecting it to be able to take lots of hits. This Pokémon may be getting a raise in its offensive stats, and maybe its Speed stat as well. Also, I'm guessing Mega Blastoise is going to lose a couple of its Speed stat. Since it has a bigger and heavier cannon on its back, and two more cannons on its arms, they would limit how fast Blastoise is able to move. d:

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • Not really. The reason Garchomp loses Speed is because it's already OP and keeping its Speed intact or boosting it would make it unstoppable. I'm expecting no losses for other Pokémon. These are not form changes. In a form change the BST stays intact. Doesn't seem to be the case with Mega Evolutions.

If Scizor gets a Mega I hope to see its Speed improved so it can finally send Scyther further down the order, outclassing it completely.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Not really. The reason Garchomp loses Speed is because it's already OP and keeping its Speed intact or boosting it would make it unstoppable. I'm expecting no losses for other Pokémon. These are not form changes. In a form change the BST stays intact. Doesn't seem to be the case with Mega Evolutions.

If Scizor gets a Mega I hope to see its Speed improved so it can finally send Scyther further down the order, outclassing it completely.

They never said that the BST doesn't stay the same. The only thing they said is that the focus on their stats change and some gain a boost which is what almost all Form changes do with exception to just Keldeo who's form change is just aesthetic. Garchomp is the only one so far that actively lists a lowering which before then was said not to be possible. Thanks to Garchomp, and even Mewtwo who has a form that is going to switch some of his stats to Physical attacks as he's always been a Special Attacker.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Well only Rotom and Kyurem's formes have bst boosts...but Kyurem's makes sense as it's fusing with another Pokémon. As for Rotom, it's taken over a physical object which can offer it protection (as Ghosts are depcited as weaker when pull out of the body they're occupying).

I do think Garchomp will be the only one of the ones we know which will have one of it's stats lowered. Beside's it just a little...so it's not like they're redistributing the stats around as if so Garchomp will gain only a very litle gain in it's stats as Mega...which would be pathetic to say the least...

Well only Rotom and Kyurem's formes have bst boosts...but Kyurem's makes sense as it's fusing with another Pokémon. As for Rotom, it's taken over a physical object which can offer it protection (as Ghosts are depcited as weaker when pull out of the body they're occupying).

I do think Garchomp will be the only one of the ones we know which will have one of it's stats lowered. Beside's it just a little...so it's not like they're redistributing the stats around as if so Garchomp will gain only a very litle gain in it's stats as Mega...which would be pathetic to say the least...

Last edited:

FireOfExile

2363-5961-4897 (3DS)
    Years
  • Mega Evolutions in the Pokedex

I'm not sure if this has been discussed or revealed before.

Will Megalutions be in the Pokedex?

I think they should be, but since the Mewtwos need different items for both forms, and you need an event item that comes with the Torchic to get a Mega Blaziken, it'd be more difficult to complete your Pokedex.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2019
    I don't think that they would give a form that only appears in battle, its own separate dex number, it would just be a cheap way of adding numbers to it. Plus, there just Pokemon, but mega, so they would basically be giving Pokemon like Garchomp, two pokedex spaces. What I could see happening, is them having a mega evolution page inside the original Pokemon's pokedex entry.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • I don't think they'd be listed with their own number in the PokéDex, but I can see the possibility of having a separate page or subcategory for them like others have suggested. They're isn't much difference between different forms and mega evolutions, so I can't see why they'd earn their own special little number on the PokéDex list.

PS. Merging this into the Mega Evolutions Discussion.

Back