• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Minority representation in media

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
And of course an LGBT user has to go all SJW on me... I'm not openly against LGBT main protagonists. It's the way they're trying to force them in everyone's face that makes me want to hate them.

I know, it must suck having your demographic repeatedly represented in media... oh, wait. If the existence of an LGBTQ+ protagonist is something you consider ?getting shoved in your face? then don?t watch the movie. Again, you have BILLIONS of options that don?t include LGBTQ+ leads if you think it?s that big of a deal. Don?t bitch about representation that clearly is meant for a group of people who have very little and have to deal with the same repeateded protagonist getting shoved in their face.

What I said in my last post regarding Trump is relevant here. The moment you post Gifs or statements that label a person as "X"(Racist in the above case), it ceases to be a Debate. Furthermore, once you resort to labeling other people as Racist, Xenophobic or w/e adjective SJW people love to use, you automatically lose the debate as I see it.

And yet you label me SJW in the same breath. We stan an oblivious queen.

I really don?t see how an LGBTQ+ protagonist affects you. Or any minority protagonist, really. Why does it affect anyone? It?s giving representation to a group that has very little. Yeah, I can?t see a reason why anyone would be upset at a minority protagonist for any reason other than they hate minorities. This ?debate? is so beaten to death that it?s much easier to just call people out for their very clear biases than it is to entertain the notion that they only hate minorities in certain conditions, like when they appear on a screen in a movie or show they want to watch. ????????

Last edited:
Years
Keep in mind I have massive difficulty with understanding LGBTQs, which is why I act so bitter towards the media trying to shove them down my face. I also believe that most of these big film companies that are trying to push LGBTQ focus suffer from having characters who are written by non-LGBTQs, hence it rubs the message the wrong way because those writers don't understand the demographic in deep terms.

My difficulty with understanding the LGBTQ community also comes from my mother being against the idea of having education for kids that's focused on teaching LGBTQs. I also hate how the community keeps making up their own genders, to the point it gets so confusing.

I think the only way that openly LGBTQ main characters can succeed is if they are written by someone who understands that aspect. The Lando example in Solo: A Star Wars Story was written by someone who clearly doesn't understand LGBTQs, and only made him pansexual to try and act as a publicity stunt to attract leftist media. That's also where I have a problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe pushing LGBTQ focus, because they're trying to get SJW brownie points off it.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen yesterday
yeah ok so I moved a few posts into this thread from another thread as said posts really should?ve been in here to begin with

please keep in mind what gimme said in that thread in the future

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Keep in mind I have massive difficulty with understanding LGBTQs, which is why I act so bitter towards the media trying to shove them down my face.

1.) Not an excuse. You don't get to shit on the community and say you're bothered about their representation just because you don't understand it. Educate yourself - so many resources are available that not doing so is mostly just laziness. If you intend to speak about the community, understanding it is a requirement.
2.) The media isn't shoving the LGBTQ+ community down your throat. The reason people are reporting on them now is because their issues literally affect their ability to live and are important, and the amount of reporting on the community in the past was ridiculously low. The only issue I see here is that you don't want to see them, which is something I couldn't care less about. The reporting isn't for you.

I also believe that most of these big film companies that are trying to push LGBTQ focus suffer from having characters who are written by non-LGBTQs, hence it rubs the message the wrong way because those writers don't understand the demographic in deep terms.

Then why are you criticizing the fact that the characters are LGBTQ+? There is a humongous difference between saying "I don't like LGBTQ+ characters" versus "I don't like the way these LGBTQ+ characters are written." Hell, if you had said the latter, I'd have agreed with you!

My difficulty with understanding the LGBTQ community also comes from my mother being against the idea of having education for kids that's focused on teaching LGBTQs. I also hate how the community keeps making up their own genders, to the point it gets so confusing.

Same as what I said above: not an excuse. You've had how many years to do research into the community? If you had any interest in learning about and being respectful towards the LGBTQ+ community, you've would've done your research by now. I'm ignoring the genders comment because I'm not intending to derail the conversation, but please never make a statement that ignorant again.

I think the only way that openly LGBTQ main characters can succeed is if they are written by someone who understands that aspect. The Lando example in Solo: A Star Wars Story was written by someone who clearly doesn't understand LGBTQs, and only made him pansexual to try and act as a publicity stunt to attract leftist media. That's also where I have a problem with the Marvel Cinematic Universe pushing LGBTQ focus, because they're trying to get SJW brownie points off it.

Again, this comes down to the way you state it. If you have an issue with the writing, don't say that you have an issue with the character being LGBTQ+. Those are two incredibly distinct points with very different connotations. If you had said that from the beginning then there literally wouldn't have even been an argument.

Also, the more you use the term SJW, the less respect I have for any of your arguments. The term is dismissive and divisive and if you're actually interested in having a conversation with me, it'd be in your best interest to drop the term from your vocabulary.

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Say it with me (Vray-gun)
Years
This honestly is getting annoying,
If the only thing that connects you or disconnects you to a character is LGBT or their skin tone, I think there's a little misguidedness in that.

If a character doesn't have anything more than that for you, then the level of disconnect as well as "what's the point then" is a bit too high for my taste. Personally, I'd like a well written character to enjoy, like Lando from Empire Strikes Back. I connected with his likable personality as well as being stuck in dilemmas.

I'm not going to name names or anything, just say that if the only thing that matters or deters you are these two traits, there's a problem, because characters don't succeed on that alone. I think this is one of the slices of pie in this entire thing regarding minorities represented and something I've noticed a lot in this thread alone let alone movie trailers.

All in all, if you haven't watched Infinity War, do it before you get spoiled.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
This honestly is getting annoying,
If the only thing that connects you or disconnects you to a character is LGBT or their skin tone, I think there's a little misguidedness in that.

If a character doesn't have anything more than that for you, then the level of disconnect as well as "what's the point then" is a bit too high for my taste. Personally, I'd like a well written character to enjoy, like Lando from Empire Strikes Back. I connected with his likable personality as well as being stuck in dilemmas.

I'm not going to name names or anything, just say that if the only thing that matters or deters you are these two traits, there's a problem, because characters don't succeed on that alone. I think this is one of the slices of pie in this entire thing regarding minorities represented and something I've noticed a lot in this thread alone let alone movie trailers.

All in all, if you haven't watched Infinity War, do it before you get spoiled.

This^
The notion someone can ONLY relate to a character exactly like them is the reason all this pandering crap got out of control in the first place.

Am I the only one who could connect with any character so long as they're well written, or at the very least, I understand why they are the way they are?
That's all you need.

I'd like a gay or even LBGT character if they were actual people in a narrative that served a point. I wouldn't think anything of it.

This notion is as outdated as "Boys can only like male characters" or "girls can only like females", only now it's MOAR PC!!111 Give me a break.
Make a good story first, and I find no one else will care past that.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
This^
The notion someone can ONLY relate to a character exactly like them is the reason all this pandering crap got out of control in the first place.

Am I the only one who could connect with any character so long as they're well written, or at the very least, I understand why they are the way they are?
That's all you need.

I'd like a gay or even LBGT character if they were actual people in a narrative that served a point. I wouldn't think anything of it.

This notion is as outdated as "Boys can only like male characters" or "girls can only like females", only now it's MOAR PC!!111 Give me a break.
Make a good story first, and I find no one else will care past that.

Except literally no one is saying that except for the people who have a problem with minority characters. I am perfectly fine with well-written straight characters, but I would absolutely like to see more characters that show more than just the standard stock protagonist that fulfills a safe demographic that has been fulfilled ad nauseum for decades. That doesn't mean I can't relate to straight characters - I can. I would still like to see a larger diversity of characters. My ability to like a straight character doesn't erase my desire to see more characters sharing my identity so that I can have a stronger connection to that character. I've only heard complaints about minority characters from people who 1.) think they were poorly written (which is completely fine) or 2.) don't like their minority status (which is completely not fine).

Also, "even LGBT?" You do realize that gay characters are part of that community, right? Are you insinuating that you can deal with casually gay characters but only deal with bi, trans, etc. characters if they're well written? I've got some news for ya there...

An LGBTQ+ character doesn't need to serve the story to be LGBTQ+. They can just be LGBTQ+. There's no reason they can't. Why do straight characters get to exist without their straightness serving the story, but an LGBTQ+ character's identity has to serve the story to justify their existence?

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Except literally no one is saying that except for the people who have a problem with minority characters. I am perfectly fine with well-written straight characters, but I would absolutely like to see more characters that show more than just the standard stock protagonist that fulfills a safe demographic that has been fulfilled ad nauseum for decades. That doesn't mean I can't relate to straight characters - I can. I would still like to see a larger diversity of characters. My ability to like a straight character doesn't erase my desire to see more characters sharing my identity so that I can have a stronger connection to that character. I've only heard complaints about minority characters from people who 1.) think they were poorly written (which is completely fine) or 2.) don't like their minority status (which is completely not fine).

Also, "even LGBT?" You do realize that gay characters are part of that community, right? Are you insinuating that you can deal with casually gay characters but only deal with bi, trans, etc. characters if they're well written? I've got some news for ya there...

An LGBTQ+ character doesn't need to serve the story to be LGBTQ+. They can just be LGBTQ+. There's no reason they can't. Why do straight characters get to exist without their straightness serving the story, but an LGBTQ+ character's identity has to serve the story to justify their existence?

When did I say otherwise? But if there isn't something about the character to inform them being as such, the problem is in this day and age, it comes as pandering or fanservice instead.

There should be some hint, backstory or internal logic as to why those characters are, otherwise in my mind, it IS just pandering.

Example, not sure if you know the series Avatar the Last Airbender, but two of the main cast have darker skin. Some people could construe that as pandering or whatever, yet internally in the story, it makes total sense. They're from the north and south poles and are essentially Eskimos. People with brown skin. Everyone from that tribe is. Explained and they got diversity without being forced. To say nothing how that diversity works in the story itself with those characters. They worked it in fully.

I'm struggling to think up any gay or otherwise characters that fit into a narrative like that. Especially any from the last 10 years when this representation crap really took off.

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
When did I say otherwise? But if there isn't something about the character to inform them being as such, the problem is in this day and age, it comes as pandering or fanservice instead.

There should be some hint, backstory or internal logic as to why those characters are, otherwise in my mind, it IS just pandering.

"There should be some hint, backstory, or internal logic as to why those characters are straight, otherwise in my mind, it IS just pandering to straight people."

Does that argument sound ridiculous to you? Congrats, you're seeing from my perspective now. There's no need for justification for the MAJORITY demographics. Why the double standard for minority communities?

Example, not sure if you know the series Avatar the Last Airbender, but two of the main cast have darker skin. Some people could construe that as pandering or whatever, yet internally in the story, it makes total sense. They're from the north and south poles and are essentially Eskimos. People with brown skin. Everyone from that tribe is. Explained and they got diversity without being forced. To say nothing how that diversity works in the story itself with those characters. They worked it in fully.

So you're saying you'd have a problem with those characters of color if their skin color wasn't justified by their geographic birthplace? Did you apply that same scrutiny to the white characters?

I'm struggling to think up any gay or otherwise characters that fit into a narrative like that. Especially any from the last 10 years when this representation crap really took off.

That's because of people who criticize any existing minority character for existing as a not-the-majority. They aren't being written because people who aren't in the minority communities lose their absolute shit if they have to see a character that's in a minority community, and then try to disguise it as "well I just want it to serve a story," without taking even a single moment to think about the double standard when they don't apply that same reasoning to characters in the majority category.

Vragon2.0

Years
Catwoman from The Dark Knight Rises. Like, a good character in the movie and showing she's a lesbian.
Well, not always is sexuality focused on. Hell sometimes when it's shoehorned in general, it serves as a kick to the balls in how poorly executed it was.

oh and pray tell what do you consider pandering? Not everything out of nowehere is pandering and while I think it is the case sometimes ~~Like f****** Marvel comics~~ not all moments of "Hey this happens" is the case.

Examples? What you said about avatar the last airbender ~~though back to the movie~~. It could have been fine for the characters to be white if that was who their people were. Same for the fire nation prince and the fire nation. Switching things up isn't inherently bad ~~though we kinda did get the former terribly and the making of a movie no one actually likes~~.

And here ladies and gentlemen we have a perfect example of looking too hard and calling the artist depressed when the curtains are just "Blue"

How about yah ask the guy before jumping into a tirade regarding what I honestly seem to think is a rather off topic thing and honestly disproven when he said, "and even". It's not a big deal and if so, make sure with the guy first. Perhaps he messed up typing, yah know how "Gay" is the more known one.

Any rod of a romance thrust up the anus of an audience without rhyme, reason, or build is bound to be annoying and jarring. That isn't off topic for any of the other sections. Trans can be sorta similar if not handled or written well, see mass effect Andromeda's failure of a trans cash in.

Also, are we still forgetting Hollywood is a business with movies as a market and they're going to do what markets due and cater to what brings in the most cash? I'm not saying it isn't annoying, but are we just going to ignore it? Like, why are so many remakes of old Disney animate movies being made right now? Because,

they bring dah money,
so many money

So it's not like everyone is trying to keep the groups out or whatnot. Steven Universe is doing well and shows potential, even if it's plot kinda got a little....um.....yeah. But I hear it's getting better.

Not to mention the ratio demographic between normies and LGBT is kinda well...out of the ball park. So the marketing stuff makes sense. Again, not saying it isn't annoying, just explaining why it exists.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Any rod of a romance thrust up the anus of an audience without rhyme, reason, or build is bound to be annoying and jarring. That isn't off topic for any of the other sections. Trans can be sorta similar if not handled or written well, see mass effect Andromeda's failure of a trans cash in.

First of all, yes, that's why I stopped watching action movies. Way too many pointless romances. Especially between the main male and female leads. For no reason.

Second, the existence of an LGBTQ+ character does not necessitate a romance. If they just exist, that's perfectly fine.

Also, are we still forgetting Hollywood is a business with movies as a market and they're going to do what markets due and cater to what brings in the most cash? I'm not saying it isn't annoying, but are we just going to ignore it? Like, why are so many remakes of old Disney animate movies being made right now? Because,

they bring dah money,
so many money

So it's not like everyone is trying to keep the groups out or whatnot. Steven Universe is doing well and shows potential, even if it's plot kinda got a little....um.....yeah. But I hear it's getting better.

That's not a justification. If every minority stopped watching movies because they didn't represent their community, media would take a huge hit to the profits. They are just as big of a market as the majority demographic.

Not to mention the ratio demographic between normies and LGBT is kinda well...out of the ball park. So the marketing stuff makes sense. Again, not saying it isn't annoying, just explaining why it exists.

See above response.

Vragon2.0

Years
First of all, yes, that's why I stopped watching action movies. Way too many pointless romances. Especially between the main male and female leads. For no reason.

Second, the existence of an LGBTQ+ character does not necessitate a romance. If they just exist, that's perfectly fine.
Sorry, but I think this is where mine and your bar differ. I'm fine with a romance like that and trans and all, ~~I was using romance to tie into the straight aspects and all~~. I'm fine with them existing, if they are done well and written well. I was using what I said as an example why I don't like how it's portrayed and just "having it" in the movie isn't enough. I get it if my standards on what I want from a movie are different from yours and I think that's the area of rub in with me, you and some other peeps here.

That's not a justification. If every minority stopped watching movies because they didn't represent their community, media would take a huge hit to the profits. They are just as big of a market as the majority demographic.

Why do you think I'm justifying it? I'm just explaining why it happens. I'm not saying it's right or the way to go. If you look at earlier things I say, I'm fine with more rep if done well and written better, "things you said you were fine with and agree to."

A lot of the movies that have been focusing on these attributes haven't bode well and while some have, they've been pretty shallow, see Black Panther's plot hole of a swiss cheese.

Okay, I'm going to say this as clear as I can so we are on the same page.
"I'm not justifying it, just explaining it. If I ever justify something, I'll say "I'm justifying it". Don't put intentions or words in my mouth without me specifically saying it or you able to point to the word there with no counter."

I have no beef, people misunderstand intentions all the time, hence most of the conflict in this chat.

See above response.
cough it would be good to be specific on which one yah mean. I will concede that I probably should have used the words, "is justified" rather than "isn't annoying" so yeah I can own up to that.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
"There should be some hint, backstory, or internal logic as to why those characters are straight, otherwise in my mind, it IS just pandering to straight people."

Does that argument sound ridiculous to you? Congrats, you're seeing from my perspective now. There's no need for justification for the MAJORITY demographics. Why the double standard for minority communities?

So you're saying you'd have a problem with those characters of color if their skin color wasn't justified by their geographic birthplace? Did you apply that same scrutiny to the white characters?

That's because of people who criticize any existing minority character for existing as a not-the-majority. They aren't being written because people who aren't in the minority communities lose their absolute **** if they have to see a character that's in a minority community, and then try to disguise it as "well I just want it to serve a story," without taking even a single moment to think about the double standard when they don't apply that same reasoning to characters in the majority category.

Here's the problem I've noticed with you, you seem very anti-white, or even what you call THE STRAIGHT MAJORITY in every area. You have a bias no one can crack regardless what they say.

But I will answer your second question, only because I think it illustrates said bias perfectly. Did I apply the same scrutiny to the white characters?

I never applied any scrutiny to anyone. Male, female, any color, I've never judged any character in my life past the writing attached to them. When I first watched the series, I appreciated moreso that every character came from a different place, had different motivations and experiences because of that, and appreciated how it was worked into the narrative.
Their skin colors had literally nothing to do with anything to me whatsoever. I only ever realized that later on in introspective, that you can fill a diversity quota and not even be obvious about it. In fact, I still don't believe that was the original intent either. They just wanted to tell a world travelling story first and foremost.

And the same is true for any other type of character, LBGT and all that, but sadly I myself have yet to see a good example, so I call the ones I have seen as just that: pandering agendas. Point me in the direction of a truly great character like that and I'll probably change my tune. But it hasn't happened yet.

Ironic that you seem to focus on THAT, skin, sexuality, etc, and most other things that should never DEFINE a character moreso than anyone else here.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 23
  • She/Her
  • Canada
  • Seen Apr 15, 2024
I honestly don't think that minority representation has increased tolerance or acceptance in society whatsoever. In recent years, the inclusion of minorities in films has grown significantly, however, homophobia, racism, xenophobia, or sexism haven't experienced any sort of decline. Furthermore, I don't understand the need to categorize people based on what they are (their race, sexuality, gender identity, so on and so forth) instead, as a society, we should focus on people for who they are as individuals. Instead of representation, we need to change the policies in our governance, change policies in education. We need to teach children liberty, acceptance of others, respect, and self responsibility. Moreover, we must teach children that they don't have the of have agency over another human being and vice versa. Tolerance and acceptance need to be learned in other ways, as well as self-responsibility. Minority representation may help in the slightest way, however, the focus needs to be on policies, government, and education. Representation doesn't correlate to the changing of policy, nor does it change people's minds, especially in an increasingly political climate.

I'm not proposing that representation is redundant, I just think in order for us to achieve equality we need other methods and thus need to put less emphasis on representation and more on policy.

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Sorry, but I think this is where mine and your bar differ. I'm fine with a romance like that and trans and all, ~~I was using romance to tie into the straight aspects and all~~. I'm fine with them existing, if they are done well and written well. I was using what I said as an example why I don't like how it's portrayed and just "having it" in the movie isn't enough. I get it if my standards on what I want from a movie are different from yours and I think that's the area of rub in with me, you and some other peeps here.

Okay, let me put this distinction here because my argument is getting lost in the various responses. My main issue is not that I think the quality of writing for a character is excusable if the character is a minority (and if that's not what you're saying, gucci). My issue is that the quality of a character and the identifiers they have should not be dependent on each other. A character should always be well-written. Their demographic shouldn't affect that. My issue comes with people who 1.) think a poorly written minority character is anyone's fault but the writer's (like blaming it on people who ask for representation), 2.) think that a minority shouldn't exist unless their identity serves the purpose of the character, or 3.) think that the mere existence of a minority character is pandering.

Why do you think I'm justifying it? I'm just explaining why it happens. I'm not saying it's right or the way to go. If you look at earlier things I say, I'm fine with more rep if done well and written better, "things you said you were fine with and agree to."

A lot of the movies that have been focusing on these attributes haven't bode well and while some have, they've been pretty shallow, see Black Panther's plot hole of a swiss cheese.

Whether you're explaining or justifying, it's not a good enough reasoning. Again, the minority market is just as influential on sales as the majority market.

Black Panther was wildly successful. It literally broke records from how much money it pulled in. I'd call that boding well.

Here's the problem I've noticed with you, you seem very anti-white, or even what you call THE STRAIGHT MAJORITY in every area. You have a bias no one can crack regardless what they say.

If you want to go this route, be careful. I've seen plenty of your posts and I can call you on so many different things that I might actually hit a character limit.

Also, you should realize that I've been terrorized by straight white people my whole life. I've been threatened with violence, called various slurs, ostracized, judged, and harassed more times than I can count. If it seems like I have a bias against them, it's based wholly on the fact that they continually discriminate against me to no end. That doesn't mean I hate every straight white person, because surprisingly, I am actually a complex human capable of distinction between people I can trust and people I can't. I exhibit quite a bit of caution when talking to people from a demographic that I've had pretty terrible experiences with, yeah.

Did I apply the same scrutiny to the white characters?

I never applied any scrutiny to anyone. Male, female, any color, I've never judged any character in my life past the writing attached to them. When I first watched the series, I appreciated moreso that every character came from a different place, had different motivations and experiences because of that, and appreciated how it was worked into the narrative.
Their skin colors had literally nothing to do with anything to me whatsoever. I only ever realized that later on in introspective, that you can fill a diversity quota and not even be obvious about it. In fact, I still don't believe that was the original intent either. They just wanted to tell a world travelling story first and foremost.

You say you've never judged a character past the writing, yet you've literally said in this thread, "If I see a minority character and there's no explanation behind why they're a minority, I consider them pandering." That is literally doing exactly what I asked. If you don't look at a white character and say, "What's justifying their whiteness?" but you look at a character of color and say, "What's justifying their non-whiteness?" then that's a humongous double standard to have and it's seriously super harmful considering that you want to criticize minority characters more than majority characters.

And the same is true for any other type of character, but sadly I myself have yet to see a good example, so I call the ones I have seen as just that: pandering agendas. Point me in the direction of a truly great character like that and I'll probably change my tune. But it hasn't happened yet.

A poorly written character is the fault of the writer and literally no one else. It is not the fault of people asking for representation. Criticize the writer if you care so much about the writing. My suspicion is that you truly don't. And, as I said before, people are hesitant to put these types of characters in movies because of people with that attitude.

Ironic that you seem to focus on THAT, skin, sexuality, etc, and most other things that should never DEFINE a character moreso than anyone else here.

When did I ever say that these traits should define a character? Literally never.

Yes, I do focus on those things because 1.) they matter, 2.) they affect me, 3.) they affect people I care about. I am very critical of poor representation, and I'm also critical of people who argue against representation and try to mask it with reasons that are quite honestly ridiculous. I do call people out because there are some attitudes that are very harmful. If it's that uncomfortable for you to be called out, don't reply and don't comment on these issues.

Funny enough, because I feel that our specific argument is becoming extremely personal and less about the issue at hand, I'm not responding to anything else you want to say to me regarding this subject. I recommend you do the same.

I honestly don't think that minority representation has increased tolerance or acceptance in society whatsoever. In recent years, the inclusion of minorities in films has grown significantly, however, homophobia, racism, xenophobia, or sexism haven't experienced any sort of decline.

That is literally not true at all. Even if it was, that doesn't mean stopping minority representation is a option. If anything, that's a reason to increase it.

Furthermore, I don't understand the need to categorize people based on what they are (their race, sexuality, gender identity, so on and so forth) instead, as a society, we should focus on people for who they are as individuals.

Recognizing a person's identity does focus on them as an individual.

Instead of representation, we need to change the policies in our governance, change policies in education. We need to teach children liberty, acceptance of others, respect, and self responsibility. Moreover, we must teach children that they don't have the right of have agency over another human being and vice versa. Tolerance and acceptance need to be learned in other ways, as well as self-responsibility. Minority representation may help in the slightest way, however, the focus needs to be on policies, government, and education. Representation doesn't correlate to the changing of policy, nor does it change people's minds, especially in an increasingly political climate.

This topic isn't about that.

I'm not proposing that representation is redundant, I just think in order for us to achieve equality we need other methods and thus need to put less emphasis on representation and more on policy.

EDIT: Actually, no, I disagree with this. Representation humanizes people of minority demographics. Considering that one of the main forces behind discrimination is not viewing the other group as humans, I'd say representation is extremely important, as much as policy even.

Last edited:

Vragon2.0

Years
Okay, let me put this distinction here because my argument is getting lost in the various responses. My main issue is not that I think the quality of writing for a character is excusable if the character is a minority (and if that's not what you're saying, gucci). My issue is that the quality of a character and the identifiers they have should not be dependent on each other. A character should always be well-written. Their demographic shouldn't affect that. My issue comes with people who 1.) think a poorly written minority character is anyone's fault but the writer's (like blaming it on people who ask for representation), 2.) think that a minority shouldn't exist unless their identity serves the purpose of the character, or 3.) think that the mere existence of a minority character is pandering.
Okay, I get you so far.

Whether you're explaining or justifying, it's not a good enough reasoning. Again, the minority market is just as influential on sales as the majority market.

Citation needed. it's not just the fact of the market, but the market for movies like these. Peeps go to a movie they want to see. You have analyze how well certain movies with sections like these do. Why the only ones with big names to them seem to succeed.
https://variety.com/2017/film/news/biggest-hits-and-flops-of-2017-king-arthur-wonder-woman-1202640819/

My point is, that right now what's selling is movies that either are part of the remake Disney, big name recognition or horror ones that are highly advertised. Some of these aren't even good movies, but people see them for the brand and other reasons. There are multiple factors and demographics a movie caters to so I'm calling bull on it being just them on that, when not even your basic new Blue Sky movie is succeeding and sequels are beginning to fall short. They're catering to what sells, and right now big names sell. (Though Solo didn't do well, despite I honestly thinking it was a good movie)

Black Panther was wildly successful. It literally broke records from how much money it pulled in. I'd call that boding well.

well, f*** me silly, I'm beginning to wonder if how I write makes sense to you. Cause I remember the sentence saying,
while some have, they've been pretty shallow, see Black Panther's plot hole of a swiss cheese. A lot of the movies that have been focusing on these attributes haven't bode well and while some have, they've been pretty shallow, see Black Panther's plot hole of a swiss cheese.
I'm aware it went well, I'm saying the movie itself was shallow, aka: I wasn't impressed. I'd like better written plot movies and the works, not everyone wants that. This is just my two cents on what I want from a movie. Thank you for sharing yours, but please ask me what I mean, before jumping into what I say and I want you to hold me to that too.

Yawn but I think I've said what I mean, and I believe it can be interpreted well this time. I don't care to explain anymore since I've tried several times, each seemingly adding a different misunderstanding. I don't see this getting anywhere really, but I've already put out my thoughts near the beginning and all, and some more in a few posts ago so I think I'm good for now.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Nov 4, 2018
Not quoting that.
Two things though: those aren't characters to me. They're agendas, simple as that. They never even reach that level with me.

Most importantly: So you admit to hating straight white people due to past experiences. That pretty much sums it all up right there, as far as I'm concerned. The fact you now want to hate literally everything in that demographic now, despite claiming otherwise; I still see it, and it is the same thing they did to you. Be better than that, I say.

I feel you've missed my original point. I was only talking about "characters" that I feel don't exist for any other reason than representation, vs every single character ever. You took that to mean minorities vs the majority in terms of sexuality or race.

I try and 'scrutinize' these """characters"""" to hopefully justify they aren't just part of an agenda, but it always comes out the opposite from what I've seen.

Explained better now?

But now I know I'm literally wasting my time talking to you. You're a brick wall. No point in continuing. I have literally zero interest in debating with someone like you. Hope you get over your animosity sometime.

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Citation needed.

Plenty of options if you'd like to choose.

My point is, that right now what's selling is movies that either are part of the remake Disney, big name recognition or horror ones that are highly advertised. Some of these aren't even good movies, but people see them for the brand and other reasons. There are multiple factors and demographics a movie caters to so I'm calling bull on it being just them on that, when not even your basic new Blue Sky movie is succeeding and sequels are beginning to fall short. They're catering to what sells, and right now big names sell. (Though Solo didn't do well, despite I honestly thinking it was a good movie)

They aren't the only movies selling. There are plenty of movies that are not nearly as popular as those that are still doing well. Just because they aren't the most successful doesn't mean the movies aren't worth making. Not every single piece of media needs to be overwhelmingly popular to sell well. And I know, I know, you're gonna say "that's not what I'm implying." The point isn't that every movie focusing on minorities is going to be a success. But given the popularity of the movies we do have currently, I'm calling bull on the claim that they aren't "boding" well.

I'm aware it went well, I'm saying the movie itself was shallow, aka: I wasn't impressed. I'd like better written plot movies and the works, not everyone wants that. This is just my two cents on what I want from a movie. Thank you for sharing yours, but please ask me what I mean, before jumping into what I say and I want you to hold me to that too.

I'm not saying you can't disapprove of the movie if you didn't like it. That's irrelevant here. But you can't claim "movies that focus on minorities don't bode well" and then follow up with a movie that very much did bode well, much like other movies in the category of "movies focusing on minorities" did. That's not serving your point.

Vragon2.0

Years
Plenty of options if you'd like to choose.

They aren't the only movies selling. There are plenty of movies that are not nearly as popular as those that are still doing well. Just because they aren't the most successful doesn't mean the movies aren't worth making. Not every single piece of media needs to be overwhelmingly popular to sell well. And I know, I know, you're gonna say "that's not what I'm implying." The point isn't that every movie focusing on minorities is going to be a success. But given the popularity of the movies we do have currently, I'm calling bull on the claim that they aren't "boding" well.
Okay, I can agree with you on that. I do think a lot of underdone films that honestly were really good didn't do well in the box office. I can say I'm not Hollywood or the works, but whatever goes on in their minds.

I'm not saying you can't disapprove of the movie if you didn't like it. That's irrelevant here. But you can't claim "movies that focus on minorities don't bode well" and then follow up with a movie that very much did bode well, much like other movies in the category of "movies focusing on minorities" did. That's not serving your point.
Okay fair point, I can take the "L" on that.
But I hope you at least get the general gist of what I mean. I'll drop out now and all, been fun and all today...Jesus fu**ing Christ it's been only a day!
oh well, I'm not perfect and all heh.

Years
1.) Not an excuse. You don't get to shit on the community and say you're bothered about their representation just because you don't understand it. Educate yourself - so many resources are available that not doing so is mostly just laziness. If you intend to speak about the community, understanding it is a requirement.
2.) The media isn't shoving the LGBTQ+ community down your throat. The reason people are reporting on them now is because their issues literally affect their ability to live and are important, and the amount of reporting on the community in the past was ridiculously low. The only issue I see here is that you don't want to see them, which is something I couldn't care less about. The reporting isn't for you.

Then why are you criticizing the fact that the characters are LGBTQ+? There is a humongous difference between saying "I don't like LGBTQ+ characters" versus "I don't like the way these LGBTQ+ characters are written." Hell, if you had said the latter, I'd have agreed with you!

Same as what I said above: not an excuse. You've had how many years to do research into the community? If you had any interest in learning about and being respectful towards the LGBTQ+ community, you've would've done your research by now. I'm ignoring the genders comment because I'm not intending to derail the conversation, but please never make a statement that ignorant again.

Again, this comes down to the way you state it. If you have an issue with the writing, don't say that you have an issue with the character being LGBTQ+. Those are two incredibly distinct points with very different connotations. If you had said that from the beginning then there literally wouldn't have even been an argument.

Also, the more you use the term SJW, the less respect I have for any of your arguments. The term is dismissive and divisive and if you're actually interested in having a conversation with me, it'd be in your best interest to drop the term from your vocabulary.

I am not making a bullshit excuse. The reason I despise LGBTQ characters in entertainment at the moment is because they are written not as characters, but as SJW pandering tools for me. It's also a problem I have with female leads and tokens or blackwashing characters (i.e. April O' Neil in Rise Of The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Johnny Storm in Fantastic 4 2015). I see those characters as only existing to promote an agenda and nothing else. When Kevin Feige announced that he plans to have more open LGBTQ heroes in Marvel films, fans went berserk, and slammed him as going SJW.

The big problem with LGBTQ characters is that either their sexuality is their only character trait, or it causes most of the fanbase to get mad because they're getting ignored in favour of minorities. Gay couples I can stand, but the more extreme ones like transgender is where I really lose it, because to me, trans people are "trapped in the wrong body" which is what gender dysphoria is.

Last edited:
Back