• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Mirage Of Tales

Bliss

Part-time Pegasister, Part-time PokéFreak
    Years
    Sorry I am new to the forum and haven't yet read the rules. Thanks for the reply. Although I don't understand the difference between making people patch it and just giving people the rom straight. Either way it still distributes the hack. Ugh rules :/
    Providing the ROM is against the law in many countries. You can Google "Emulation Laws" or something along those lines to find out in more detail, but the main reason is simply because PC (PokeCommunity) does not want any legal issues with GameFreak and the Pokemon Team.

At least, that's my understanding of it.

If you have a computer you should download and patch it there, then transfer it via your iPad's charging cable (it also allows you to sync and transfer, right?) that, or upload the patched version to a temporary file host, like depositfiles or something like that, MediaFire is a typical choice.

Just remember that if you add a link to a .gba file you are breaking the rules, and risk being banned.

Regardless, please make sure you read the rules, because a mod might give you a warning, or possibly a ban just for asking. I can't really say, since I'm still quite new as well.

Years
    I'm kind of stuck. :x

This is going to be a spoiler to people who haven't played it, so if you haven't played it and dont want any spoilers, please don't read any further.

Spoiler:

Nevermind folks! I found the way, it was pretty easy actually!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 25, 2016
    I need help. I have already found suicune and entei and they ran off. I have already have caught the genetically altered pokemon. I just got the canal pass but can't find the aqueducts. Where is it? Please help. I really enjoy the hack. Found many glitches but still extremely good. I have best all the leaders except the last one. And I can't get to the lapras in the cave that opens up using the ancient orb from the goldrush. Where can I find the waterfall hm? Ps I use the walk through walls cheat to see what was up there ;) haha btw when you battle lapras and capture it while using the wtw cheat you get a black screen after capturing it. Over all how do I get to finagold terrace? I can't find the aqueducts anywhere.

head to verlume villas and go right then there will be a tunnel and a water path take the water path and go down after that you will come on the land use cut and go right and enter in the building

Years
    • Seen Aug 7, 2014
    head to verlume villas and go right then there will be a tunnel and a water path take the water path and go down after that you will come on the land use cut and go right and enter in the building
    Thanks but i figured it out last night :) i fully beat everything that i could. Can't wait for the next release.

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2021
    How to or what I need to do to get back to Crime Base/HQ/whatever to get mission from Jarol? After the Lord Grey event; I had to leave to deposit a Pokemon.
    I have both Surf and Fly available.

Interestng hack. :)

Years
    I got the 'item' you get from winning the gold rush challenge and Troy told me were to go to go the the 'place' you can go witht the 'item' but I may have used the speed up button and I have no idea how to get to the cyan sea now.
    If anybody would like to share it with me tha'd be great because i'm trying to get as much pokemon as I can. :)

Bliss

Years
    I got the 'item' you get from winning the gold rush challenge and Troy told me were to go to go the the 'place' you can go witht the 'item' but I may have used the speed up button and I have no idea how to get to the cyan sea now.
    If anybody would like to share it with me tha'd be great because i'm trying to get as much pokemon as I can. :)
    And this is why I use frequent save states lol. How far back is your save, or have you already saved since?

(If so, I can't help. Not that far into the game, anyway.)

Years
    And this is why I use frequent save states lol. How far back is your save, or have you already saved since?

(If so, I can't help. Not that far into the game, anyway.)

Well, I already saved pased it because I didn't really paid any attention to Troy, I assumed he would just ramlbe about my 'victory' so I skipped it and started playing along with the storyline. I'm at the end now anyways so I doesn't really matter. :P

Years
    After finishing version (storyline wise) I yet have another set of questions, mostly for Avara though. :P

At first, why aren't there any fighting types in the game? I believe the only fighting move available is Double Kick on the Nido's.

Still assuming the game doesn't have the Physical/Special split, why aren't there any special water types available?
    The only one I came across is the Horsea family which are only available when you are nearly at the end. (Water types aren't really required though, because I thaught surf to my Zweilous)

The follow up personal questions:

How do I get to the Dark type gym leader in the Villa town, because i've been wandering in that gym for over half an hour and I just can't figure it out. -,-' silly me :(

Where can I find the 2 berries that are required for the breeding career, I have a clue on how to get the venom, but I don't have the slightest lead towards the berries...

And last but not least: When version 3 comes out, can I still keep my old saves?
    Do I just download version 3, patch it on a clean rom, delete the old rom but keep the .sav files?
    I hope it's that easy. :x

So like I mentioned, I just completed version 2, and I was really suprised that you said this was your first hack.
    I did come across some map and text bugs, but maybe I caused them myself because you said that speeding up could give some bugs on the first page, and I speed up alot..
    The careers are (in my opinion) the best add-on to a pokemon hack i've ever seen, it gave me a reason to collect pokemon for my pokedex when I became a researcher, sadly the New Bora and Eevee side-quest are bugged though.
    Hope to see the 3rd or maybe final version soon because this is without a doubt one of the best hacks I've ever played!

Bliss

Years
    And last but not least: When version 3 comes out, can I still keep my old saves?
    Do I just download version 3, patch it on a clean rom, delete the old rom but keep the .sav files?
    I hope it's that easy. :x

So like I mentioned, I just completed version 2, and I was really suprised that you said this was your first hack.
    Hope to see the 3rd or maybe final version soon because this is without a doubt one of the best hacks I've ever played!
    I believe you can simply rename the save to match the ROM name after patching, 99% of the time this is true.

I'm still in disbelief over this being someone's first hack, but at the same time.. the thread was started quite a while ago, and I wasn't around when the first post was made. (Joined April of this year, just started posting and being active late June)

Also, I haven't gotten that far into it yet, so I can't help with your other questions. Sorry about that. :/

Years
    I believe you can simply rename the save to match the ROM name after patching, 99% of the time this is true.

I'm still in disbelief over this being someone's first hack, but at the same time.. the thread was started quite a while ago, and I wasn't around when the first post was made. (Joined April of this year, just started posting and being active late June)

Also, I haven't gotten that far into it yet, so I can't help with your other questions. Sorry about that. :/

Thanks for all the help anyway! but with renaming the save files to match the rom, you mean I donwload version 3 and patch it on a clean rom, and give the .sav's that I had from version 2 the same name?

Bliss

Years
    Thanks for all the help anyway! but with renaming the save files to match the rom, you mean I donwload version 3 and patch it on a clean rom, and give the .sav's that I had from version 2 the same name?
    Yes, that is correct.

For example:

Pokemon Version 2.gba
    Pokemon Version 2.sav <- Rename this to new ROM name
    E.G.: Pokemon Version 3.gba so it would be Pokemon Version 3.sav

Also note: there are a few times when this will not work, but the developer will usually let us know if that is the case. Sometimes there are changes that break saves from previous versions, like when you change something related to a variable that was already used by the save file from the previous version.
    This is actually quite rare, as most developers will explicitly avoid doing such, but everyone makes mistakes and a dev might accidentally reuse a variable, or move one from a previous part of the story.

Any developers out there that have more in-depth information, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this!

Anyway, I hope that helps~!

Years
    Yes, that is correct.

For example:

Pokemon Version 2.gba
    Pokemon Version 2.sav <- Rename this to new ROM name
    E.G.: Pokemon Version 3.gba so it would be Pokemon Version 3.sav

Also note: there are a few times when this will not work, but the developer will usually let us know if that is the case. Sometimes there are changes that break saves from previous versions, like when you change something related to a variable that was already used by the save file from the previous version.
    This is actually quite rare, as most developers will explicitly avoid doing such, but everyone makes mistakes and a dev might accidentally reuse a variable, or move one from a previous part of the story.

Any developers out there that have more in-depth information, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of this!

Anyway, I hope that helps~!

Thanks for all the help, and for explaining how to patch a new version.
    I didn't really want to lose my team because I finaly got my sixth pokemon (after completing the game. :$)

Years
    • Seen Jul 30, 2014
    I, I have a question. I patched the IPS file to my FireRed Rom and I try to save the game and I get a Save error? Does anyone know what might be wrong? Sorry if this has already been asked Dx

EDIT: I actually didn't name the gba file exactly the same as the original, sorry for the inconvenience!

Bliss

Years
    Thanks for all the help, and for explaining how to patch a new version.
    I didn't really want to lose my team because I finaly got my sixth pokemon (after completing the game. :$)
    Not a problem, like I said, I'm still pretty new to hacking in general, and also to PC, so there are better people to ask, but I try to do my part to help with what I know (or at least, what I think I know lol)

And yeah, most hacks will allow you to change the name of the save to keep your file when you update. Might be a good idea not to be in an unfinished area (or an area with something that blocks your path, as in: end of demo or current version) just to avoid any possible issues, though it usually doesn't make much of a difference. I always play it safe and move to a previous area then save when I get done with a demo/beta. Most devs would tell you it doesn't matter, I'm sure, but I'm weird like that lol.

Also, I'm not sure if you knew this, but you can make backups of your save files by copying them to a new folder and adding a note to the name (E.G.: Pokemon Version 2 - July 19th Newbark Town.sav or something like that) so that you can easily tell where you were, and when you saved it.
    I take it a step further and keep a specific folder for my backups, along with a readme.txt file with information for each, including my team and current Pokedex status, etc. A bit over the top, but it helps me just in case I miss something really important, or if I want to see a certain bit of story again. (You will have to remove the edited part of the name to use the save file again, but it's just a suggestion, after all.)

As I mentioned before, I use save states very often, usually after I move to a new area, or beat a Pokemon Trainer (I keep 2 save states specifically for in-battle though, just in case I mess something up, or find a game breaking bug, which I haven't encountered in MoT thankfully. Also, I don't like training in advance, so I usually wind up facing level 50+ enemies with a level 35 team lol. It's nice to have save states for avoiding crits, or making sure my statuses stick, since I don't care about battling anyway. I'm more of a story buff.)

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Hi guys! Sorry for the really short comment, I'm on y cell and not home right now! On the emulation link front, I think Lady Prixy covered it better than I could've =)

I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT USE THE WALK THROUGH WALLS CHEAT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, example the Lapras in Cretaceous Cave is not supposed to be available yet as it's going to be part of a much later side-quest, hence why it's blocked off with waterfalls... plus with WTW you might get stuck or trigger an event that isn't supposed to happen, then breaking your save file =P So anyone who has used wtw and caught the Lapras, you've basically ruined your save for later releases =/

There are no fighting types because they're what I used to replace with 4th/5th/6th gen Pokémon, since I hated a lot of the designs and never ever used them in gameplay myself. I know that's a bit biased, but I did it way back when I first started the game lol. Anyway I kinda like how it's turned out, since I have planned to include the Fairy-type in the second Mirage Of Tales game, and I can make it as if I'm including two new types since I don't want the two games to have the same roster of Pokémon if that makes sense

As for the physical special split, I don't know how to do it yet and it's not really a priority for now, I don't have a hacking team or anything, it's basically just me learning things as I go along, so when I feel like doing it I'll definitely try, but it won't be in the next release. Sorry again for my lack of inactivity and rushed comment =P lol

Last edited:
    Years
    Hi guys! Sorry for the really short comment, I'm on y cell and not home right now! On the emulation link front, I think Lady Prixy covered it better than I could've =)

I cannot stress this enough, DO NOT USE THE WALK THROUGH WALLS CHEAT IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE, example the Lapras in Cretaceous Cave is not supposed to be available yet as it's going to be part of a much later side-quest, hence why it's blocked off with waterfalls... plus with WTW you might get stuck or trigger an event that isn't supposed to happen, then breaking your save file =P So anyone who has used wtw and caught the Lapras, you've basically ruined your save for later releases =/

There are no fighting types because they're what I used to replace with 4th/5th/6th gen Pokémon, since I hated a lot of the designs and never ever used them in gameplay myself. I know that's a bit biased, but I did it way back when I first started the game lol. Anyway I kinda like how it's turned out, since I have planned to include the Fairy-type in the second Mirage Of Tales game, and I can make it as if I'm including two new types since I don't want the two games to have the same roster of Pokémon if that makes sense

As for the physical special split, I don't know how to do it yet and it's not really a priority for now, I don't have a hacking team or anything, it's basically just me learning things as I go along, so when I feel like doing it I'll definitely try, but it won't be in the next release. Sorry again for my lack of inactivity and rushed comment =P lol

I see, I don't really mind the physical/special split, and I'm pretty impressed that you managed to pull this of without a hacking team!
    The reason I asked about the fighting mons was the fact that dark pokemon are kind the base of team Loxar, So i thaught you did it on purpose so the team would be harder to beat with only bug as weakness, but there aren't any good bug types available (untill late game!) so that's why I asked.

Maybe you're able to change some movepools around (if you'd like to and/or have the time to) so more pokemon can learn fighting moves (the weaker ones ofcourse) because normal mons basicly have no weakness that way.
    One of the reasons I love keeping my thick-fat Milktank in my team. <3

As for a final question, for now ofcourse. :s
    Are there any walkhthoughs available, because I just can't figure at how to get to the gym leader in the Villa's gym..
    (It's probably really easy for everyone, but I'm garbage at those things..)

And if somebody could give me clues on were to find the berry's for the breeder career that would be nice (Please give clues instead of how to get it, I'd like to discover things myself :x).
    Thanks for al the assistance and this amazing hack! In my opinion you set some new standards for hacks, especially with the fact that gym's are optional and you're able to be evil!!

Edit:
    The following ''bug??'' contains a HUGE spoiler, please don't read this unless you already reached Lethean City (look it up on the map if you're not sure...)

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Chimchar

THE Chimchar Tamer
    Years
    I see, I don't really mind the physical/special split, and I'm pretty impressed that you managed to pull this of without a hacking team!
    The reason I asked about the fighting mons was the fact that dark pokemon are kind the base of team Loxar, So i thaught you did it on purpose so the team would be harder to beat with only bug as weakness, but there aren't any good bug types available (untill late game!) so that's why I asked.

Maybe you're able to change some movepools around (if you'd like to and/or have the time to) so more pokemon can learn fighting moves (the weaker ones ofcourse) because normal mons basicly have no weakness that way.
    One of the reasons I love keeping my thick-fat Milktank in my team. <3

As for a final question, for now ofcourse. :s
    Are there any walkhthoughs available, because I just can't figure at how to get to the gym leader in the Villa's gym..
    (It's probably really easy for everyone, but I'm garbage at those things..)

And if somebody could give me clues on were to find the berry's for the breeder career that would be nice (Please give clues instead of how to get it, I'd like to discover things myself :x).
    Thanks for al the assistance and this amazing hack! In my opinion you set some new standards for hacks, especially with the fact that gym's are optional and you're able to be evil!!

Edit:
    The following ''bug??'' contains a HUGE spoiler, please don't read this unless you already reached Lethean City (look it up on the map if you're not sure...)

Spoiler:

Yes, she knows. It is already fixed for version 3. And about patching over your save files Lady Prixy is right. I know that works because I did it for beta testing. If you ever need to have a visual for it there are walkthroughs on Youtube for Pokemon Glazed that show you how.

Back