• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Missing Mega Stones - event only?

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
Years
  • It's nonsense like this that makes me wonder if they don't just do a bit of DLC instead of timed events which nobody likes.

And I have the feeling that Gardevoir will be one of the last ones distributed. :(. Waiting a couple of months to use Gardevoir is one month waiting probably quite a bit longer for her Mega is another thing entirely. :(

This way of distributing mega stones which are a gameplay mechanic is a big screw you to the fanbase.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • Seriously? Of all the ways to get the Missing Mega Stones in the game THIS is what they went with

Not everyone asking where the Missing Mega Stones are is a competitive battler they may just want their favourite Pokemon's Mega in the game so they can use it for fun.

So to get Gardevoirite and Sceptilite I'm going to have to sign up for an Online Competition which I otherwise have no plans of entering just to get something that should be in the game already. And then it won't be until some unspecified point in the future and if I miss it for whatever reason too bad.

Were QR codes for the items making them available such a bad idea? Have the Receptionist at the Battle Tree give them out if they were worried getting say Gardevoirite early on would stop the game being challenging.

Seriously why this way?

You literally took the words from my mouth. I'm glad that I'll be able to use my mega Gardevoir and Sceptile again in the future, but this route is going to make me suffer in agony just to get them. I like breeding, and I like many of the megas. But I personally don't give a single crap when it comes to battling. What I don't like is having to suffer through an Online Competition that I have absolutely 0 interest in participating in, just to get the mega stones that should have been available from the battle tree in the first place.

I love you, Game Freak, but you can be a real idiot sometimes. Please just distribute the stones properly, and get this over with.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • Game Freak will need to be a bit more clear on how this process will work.

One thing is for sure, there's going to be a lot of glut of potential sign-ups that will muddy the field even more between non competitive players and their counterparts. All for sake of what exactly?

Years
  • While I do agree that it's ultimately better to have these Mega Stones in the games in the first place, that's unfortunately not the case and I don't think Bank allows you to transfer Mega Stones over, so this is the cards that we're dealt with for now.

Despite the 7th Gen update, items still can't be transferred which is why we still have NPCs giving you the held items that benefit legendaries.

Also, as mentioned Game Freak is planning to move away from Megas so making them event-only will make them feel like something you have to earn as opposed to easily obtaining it in-game like the Z-Crystals that are the successor mechanic.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    I guess the stones are event exclusive instead scatter around alola for easy picky, but you have to attend competitive sense, it's just frustrates me into battling with more seriousness than casual. I'm disappointed heavily on this

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Also, as mentioned Game Freak is planning to move away from Megas so making them event-only will make them feel like something you have to earn as opposed to easily obtaining it in-game like the Z-Crystals that are the successor mechanic.
    How do you know this is the case? While VGC this year bans them, it may be to allow for focus on this gen's gimmick in Z moves, rather than risk them being overshadowed. I don't think they're planning to move further away from them, and making them available in some way suggests otherwise to me too. They could easily not offer them as a reward for participating.

Years
  • What I mean is, Game Freak are putting Z-Moves out front as the major new mechanic, so they're pushing Megas aside but it unfortunately making us have to do competitive battles to obtain them is a huge blow to those who aren't good at it.

As Marcin said, banning Megas from VGC 17 will allow Z-Moves to have more focus. While I can see why they want to distribute these Mega Stones as incentives to get people to do competitive tournaments, the problem is that it's something that not everyone is content with.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    It doesn't seem fair to actual competitors either because you're going to have a lot of forfeiting or people just battling to get the stones. You won't know if a component actually wants to compete or not.

Personally I would have rather seen new megas this gen instead of z moves.

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • what i really dislike about this (and honestly event exclusives in general) is the fact that future players of this game won't get them, something that i feel game freak doesn't give a f*** about (as we've seen with all the event mons and tickets etc. in previous gens). not getting the mega stones is silly, and just erases a whole battle mechanic. honestly i hope this is just for sun and moon and in the next pair of games in this gen they'll make 'em all available (or at least the ones not found in sun moon)

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    What I mean is, Game Freak are putting Z-Moves out front as the major new mechanic, so they're pushing Megas aside but it unfortunately making us have to do competitive battles to obtain them is a huge blow to those who aren't good at it.

As Marcin said, banning Megas from VGC 17 will allow Z-Moves to have more focus. While I can see why they want to distribute these Mega Stones as incentives to get people to do competitive tournaments, the problem is that it's something that not everyone is content with.

This is actually the same way I thought about this as well after first reading it. I wouldn't be surprised if this is in fact a way for Game Freak and The Pokemon Company to kind of filter the amount of Megas that are available in the future games and maybe even classify their rarity on par with event legendary pokemon. After all, this is a game about obsessive collecting.

Even if these Mega Stones are given away as entry prizes in the battling competitions, lets face it, the entire player base is not going to show up just to get these items. The numbers that actually show up at the competitions will possibly be more than previous, but it will still be a fraction of the entirety of the player base.

So in the end you prevent access to the Megas to a large majority of the people who are most likely playing the game much more casually, and have only a minority of players who have acquired the Mega Stones. Mega Stones could possibly end up being more rare than most Event Legendary Pokemon.

With the Mega Stones at such a high rarity in the future it may possibly be looked at as a way of "nerfing" Mega Pokemon without having to change the entire game or awkwardly banning them in competitions, will probably lower their frequency in day to day online battles as well.

I do think that Mega Evolutions are one of the more unbalanced mechanics that Game Freak has added to the franchise, but I don't think that only distributing the stones at completions is really the right way to go. This will have a pretty huge effect on the majority of the player base, it seems really short sighted on GF's part if they really are trying to do this as a motive for competions.

Years
    • Seen May 6, 2023
    I think they are putting a lot of focus on Pokemon battle... since S&M is only Pokemon to have battling as only feature and nothing else- no game corner, no contest, or anything. Every feature in S&M is geared towards battling.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

I'm not sure this is a way to 'nerf' megas at all considering the most broken Mega, Salamence is in the game.

Part of me thinks they only put half the Megas in the game so the ones in the game get used. Then again I can't see anyone using say Mega Pinsir just because their favourite Mega isn't in the game.

Distributing Megas this way may inflate the number of entries for online competitions which makes for nice stats few people will enter every competition for some Mega Stones. They'd just enter for the ones they want.

Also some Pokemon with missing Megas like Gardevoir and Tyranitar will stay popular regardless due to being fan favourites the likes of Audino and Medicham not so much.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I am absolutely gutted about this in the sense that I am very unwilling to move my Pokemon to my Moon because I could no longer Mega-evolve most of them.

They should've just kept the Mega Stones scattered like the Zygarde Cells and Cores.

Back