• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty,May or Dawn?

manu6453

pokemon trainer
Years
  • my favourite has to be Misty because she was there from the beginning and that's when i started watching so i got introduced to pokemon seeing her

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • My favorite is Dawn.

Misty was a great character in Kanto and OI, but she became super stale in Johto. So I hope when people say that Misty is the best, that they are only talking about Kanto and OI Misty. Her gag about pulling Brock's ear became really old rather quickly and that was about the only thing she did in Johto, besides that horrible Whirl Cup. Anyway, I like Misty now that she has become a Gym Leader, has a conclusion, and was saved from total uselessness. Unlike some people we know... *coughBrockcough*

(Plus, to people who say she saw through Team Rocket's disguises, she only noticed them ONE TIME and that was in "Electric Shock Showdown".)

May was a great character in her own right as well. I didn't like her the momment I saw her but with character development (Yeah, they started to use it with her.). She went from a whiney girl who hated pokémon and din't know about taking care of herself, to a girl that came into the Top 4, IIRC, of the Kanto Grand Festival and to someone who can travel by themselves (If she is anyways....). The thing that doesn't make May my favorite is the fact that she didn't appeal to me as much as I knew she could.

(For the people who don't like May because of Max, I agree that Max wasn't great but this allowed us to see May from different perspectives.)

I like Dawn the most because she is like the combination of the two and Ash. She is eager about completing her goal. She isn't as air-headed as May was in the beginning of her journey and she can get mad like Kanto/OI Misty. She also actually tries different things like Gym Battles, even though it was just to have Maylene get her confidence up. But of course, she also has bad sides such as how she usually uses Piplup and ignores her other pokémon.

(To people who think she is a whiner, it's called character development. Something that Misty never got until she left from the main cast and something May didn't get enough of until mid- Hoenn IMO.)

Also, if original things are the best, why Sinnoh getting more praise for its battles and fillers than Kanto. Plus, why is it people agree that some dubs are better than the original japanese version (i.e. Cowboy Bee Bop, etc)

Years
  • I have seen little of Diamond & Pearl, so I do not have a solid opinion formed on Dawn.

That leaves Misty and May.

Between the two, I like May more. Her character underwent great development throughout AG. In the beginning of the saga, she was a complete joke who did not even like Pokemon. However, as the series progressed, she grew to become an experienced and competent co-ordinator with a great love for Pokemon. Her contest arc also added a nice new flair to the series. Furthermore, she has a bubbly and cheerful personality, not to mention her air-headness is humorous.

I have never liked Misty. Unlike Jessie, she failed to pull off the ****** red-head archetype well. In the Kanto and Orange Islands sagas, she was a whinny brat without any true depth to her character. Personally, I prefer characters who are actually interesting and well rounded, not ones who are stale stereotypes. She then became a useless cheerleader without any personality in Johto (sadly, Brock ended up the same way). This made her even worse off than she was in Kanto and the Orange Islands. Furthermore, I could not stand her unrequited crush on Ash. It was clichéd and obnoxious.

Last edited:

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Furthermore, I could not stand her unrequited crush on Ash. It was clichéd and obnoxious.

She never said that she loved Ash. Most of those hints were added by 4Kids when they had the dub. I'm not saying there weren't any but most are dub added.

Arumus

Insert user title here..
    Years
  • Misty, because May and Dawn are just lame replacements who do Contests. Anyone else find Dawns voice really irratating? Well, all of the DP Series voices are awful.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Anyone else find Dawns voice really irratating? Well, all of the DP Series voices are awful.

That's a matter of opinion. But there are voices that match and some that even surpass the originals.

Brock sounds so much better than when Stuart did his voice. He doesn't sound like Kaiba all the time.

Ash is the one that can use work but give Sarah some credit. She has improved so much since Batle Frontier. Anyway, Ash doesn't sound like May anymore and he sounds older and Taylor had 8 years to perfect Ash's voice.

Dawn- can't compare to anyone, but most people have gotten used to it.

Jessie sounds just like Rachel, who was the best of the original cast.

Misty- see Jessie.

May sounds a little high pitched sometimes but it's still good.

James sounds much better. He doesn't shout everything he says.

Max did sound annoying but is last seaon was Battle Frontier so... I don't really care.

Meowth is the only one that irritates me, bt that's only in a few episodes like in "The Bells Are Singing".

Back on topic.

Misty, because May and Dawn are just lame replacements who do Contests.

What did Misty do besides enter a short Whirl Cup saga and hold Togepi?

I didn't mean to come off rude to you or offend you in annyway, because when I read this over it sounded kind of offensive. So if you are offended sorry.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Misty, one of the later girls feel classic like her and I watch any old episode because Misty is there.

Piplup46

Water Pokemon are the best
    Years
  • Ummm I like Misty alot so I'll vote for her. Dawn is cool too. Never saw May in the show cause I haven't watched the advance generation eps.

Eucliffe

☆ E N T E R T A I N E R
    Years
  • I have to admit, I despised May/Haruka at first, but she really kicks arse now, for those who have either seen her current Pokemon team or watched the recent anime.

I love her now for the fact that she has a Glaceon (my main reason; I love Glaceon~), as well as a Venusaur and a Blaziken. That just makes her completely awesome. She also has the prettiest outfit when competing in contests now. She's definitely improved than when she was utterly pathetic in the Hoenn saga. I used to like Misty before May/Haruka came in the Sinnoh Saga. Misty was cool, and she was the original, so...

Years
    • Seen Dec 14, 2008
    May. Loved everything about her, except that she had to bring that little booger along.

If it'd been just her traveling with Ash/Brock, she'd probably be a lot more popular than she is now.

Years
  • I haven't seen a FULL episode with Dawn in it, but she seems pretty kewl.
    This is to hard!
    I WAS IN LOVE WITH MISTY!
    But May was alright too. Eh...I'll say May! : P
    *runs away*

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Her fanbase annoys me, especially with those stubborn Advanceshippers who refuse to admit Advanceshipping is dead (even though it was never there to begin with).

Dead?

It's as canon as you're going to get with Pokemon, because none of the pairings are actually going to happen. Ever. If Advanceshipping is dead, then the same could be said for Pokeshipping, since Misty has been gone much longer than May. nn;
    Both still have a big fanbase, right along with the SatoshixHikari fanbase nowdays.

Anyhoo, back to the thread topic..

I feel like I've answered this question 50 times since I joined this place, and it's safe to say that I probably have. May is my favorite, followed by Misty, followed by Hikari ('Dawn'.. whatever..). But really, I like them all, especially May and Misty. Hikari.. I find her sort of annoying for some reason, but I've always thought her character design was the best. Her outfit is cute, so she gets points for that. xD; But her personality for the most part.. is like..eh.

A long answer made short..

May ftw.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
  • Dead?

It's as canon as you're going to get with Pokemon, because none of the pairings are actually going to happen. Ever. If Advanceshipping is dead, then the same could be said for Pokeshipping, since Misty has been gone much longer than May. nn;
    Both still have a big fanbase, right along with the SatoshixHikari fanbase nowdays.

"Dead" in shipping lingo translates to "I hate that shipping, so I am just going to not acknowledge it's existence." It has nothing to do with probability.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
  • Anyway Misty was a really beleveable character!

She can only get more believeable now. Can't go further down and can only go up. Thank you, Chronicles!

To answer again. It's Dawn for me. She's the reincarnation of Ash, can't get better than that. Just fresh.

@Drew: Advanceshipping as canon as Pokémon gets? No.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2009
    I like May the best however I don't like her with Ash. May has that unpredictable personality and its very funny at times. She acts like a natural and normal girl. I'm not saying the other two ain't but May just seems more like a girl who acts her age. Plus she was the first main character to go in Pokemon Contests, something which I love. (If pokemon actually kept ages, she'd be like 14 or something.)

UberChomp

Tyrant Of The Sand
    Years
  • May, no doubt. May has the best taste when it comes to pokemon. (Wartortle - obviously soon to be Blastoise, Blaziken, and Glaceon are just a few examples). May also has a great personality in my opinion. Dawn is a crybaby and a useless character, I hope she gets randomly killed by a stampede of Tauros. XD. Misty was okay in my opinion. But May is great, and it was awesome to see her in the recent DP battle dimension episodes.

Back