• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Misty Returning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Honestly if Misty does return for whatever reason, what do you think she'll do? She's most likely going to get pushed into the background like the past 2 companions since the writers and higher ups seem so dead set on focusing only on Ash and Team Rocket these days.

I find it hard to believe that the game designers, who as demonstrated with FRLG, HGSS, heck, even Black 2 and White 2, managed to completely rewrite their characterization of Misty to be more in line with her anime characterization (which is saying quite a lot considering they didn't even give that honor to Brock, who was also a main character in the series), would create a region that's majority water over land in mapping (most regions, Hoenn being the exception before now, are majority land over water), not only the first region to be that since Hoenn and AG, but it also being made around the same time as when the 20th anniversary of the anime is coming up, not to mention the G.E.M. series figure line actually having a figure on Misty and, heck, even Brock (and I want to be specific, I'm referring to their Anime selves, not just any incarnation of the two), especially when not only was it released far too early to be showcasing the 20th anniversary for the anime, but they generally don't even release figures of characters who aren't current, let alone characters who have been off the show for over a decade now, and the writers NOT capitalizing on such an opportunity. You do realize the potential implications behind a region being more water than land, right? Well, it essentially means that water Pokémon will have more focus than before, even if it's a tad bit. That would give PLENTY for Misty to work with.

And also, unlike Brock who didn't even HAVE an active goal that required battling, Misty DID have an active goal on par with Ash's. Water Pokémon Master. Remember that? She won't get stale or put to the back burner. If anything, a region like Alola's a golden opportunity to actually expand on her goal. I know if I were one of the writers and I intended to bring Misty into Alola, I'd make SURE her given AS much focus as humanly possible. Heck, she wasn't even particularly stale in Johto. Far from it, she arguably got even MORE development than in Kanto.

Besides, as Famon pointed out, it's going to be the 20th anniversary next year anyways. Bringing Misty in would be a good way to celebrate it.

That has more to do with the writing staff at the time more than anythinh...

Yeah, and the writers also failed with XY. Your point? The fact of the matter is, Misty is pretty much gearing for a return at this point. I can understand Ash getting a G.E.M. figure, since aside from his being the face of the Pokémon anime, he's easily recognizable in his anime incarnation for Kanto. I can also understand why Jessie, James, and Meowth would get figurines, since those could easily be their XY selves or anything (the only thing that can be ruled out is their Best Wishes selves due to the uniforms, that and Wobbuffet being present). However, Brock and Misty getting figurines definitely makes absolutely no sense especially regarding the 20th Anniversary of the Anime due to it being the wrong year to release it on UNLESS they are hinting at them, especially Misty, returning (and it also doesn't help that Misty, like Jessie and James' G.E.M. figurines, has Pokémon that she retained control over for the Original Series by the time she left. Ash and Brock's figurines had at least one Pokémon that wasn't part of their group later in the original series for one reason or another [Ash had Charmander, which already evolved into Charizard before he got his seventh badge, and Brock had Vulpix, which had been given back to Suzy in Johto. Misty, meanwhile, didn't even evolve her Togetic, let alone release it, until AG, well after her departure and the end of the Original Series.].). The fact that the next region not only just so happens to be more water than land, but also it being conveniently released around the same time as the 20th Anniversary of the Anime's forthcoming being added in definitely points to something relating to Misty at the very least.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    Maybe it's me, but why do people want misty to return anyway?

First person needs to care for character; in this case Misty to actually want to see it return.

And those who dare to ask for such thing want to receive chance to see older character we grew to like updated and taken in new adventures. What new pokemon she got, how much Misty changed as person and trainer after all this years. Enjoy in her unique quirks, antics and great filed with spice personality rekindling on friendship with Ash and forming relationship with new characters. See Misty hard work and effort paying of in giving to us viewers follow up of her unfinished story coming closer toward achievement of her own goals and desires!
    Bringing more excitement, freshness and variety to storyline through Misty own plots and dreams which bring new people and way of utilizing pokemon through new generations.

Misty being referenced through flashback, openings etc isn't same as coming for real. Most fans want to see new things being done about Misty.

And is that unreasonable? I don't think it is with Misty deserving more development , especially when writers had several new, fresh ideas for her(according to mr. Shudo blogs which were never used). Promotion to E4 apprentice making big step forward in her career of becoming water pokemon master is logical step and way to construct feasible, full of groundbreaking ideas story to do more with her.
    Not to mention Misty had lot of depth to her personality always bringing excellent dynamic, which could lift up interactions among others if she were to come back.

And most importantly if there ever existed feasible region adaptable for full fledged water trainer and passionate lover for oceans, aquatic themes and water species like Misty is. Than that is definitely Alola, Hawaii based region. Offering huge logistic support, lot of water based themes, settings to create versatile activities and tournaments accompanied with new pokemon and mechanics of evolving the, bringing hidden potential on surface. To do something productive for change and engaging could be made out of Misty character.

It makes even more sense since it would go with 20th anniversary of pokemon series(officially it will be next year, while his one is for games)with original pokemon girl so iconic, well known and popular like Misty being perfect candidate to play major factor in new region.

First pokemon girl who created foundation alongside Ash and Brock to make pokemon anime popular and accepted worldwide in first place and on top of that never received closure to story having massive untapped potential to bring more being forever forgotten and abandoned like trash not worth bothering with is NOT ok for me.

Honestly if Misty does return for whatever reason, what do you think she'll do? She's most likely going to get pushed into the background like the past 2 companions since the writers and higher ups seem so dead set on focusing only on Ash and Team Rocket these days.

Comparing Misty to other characters don't have any solid foothold to stand on since her dreams are very battle oriented and diverse in what can be done with them not suffering from linear in advance preconstructed paradigm through which you could develop someone. Her character, dynamic and purpose from past times is entirely different from Brock's, Serena, Clemont etc. Her compatibility with new game mechanics and quests which Sun and Moon games heavily being oriented toward water putting her in way more favorable position to play central role in pokemon story than anyone else. Etc.

And to immediately discard Misty presence in pokemon anime as waste of time is a very narrow minded way in looking at things. Because if anyone here honestly thinks how Misty instead of developing, her characterization and past being explored more, her dreams of becoming water pokemon master and E4 member being built upon and reformed to allow in making viable job out of it and establishing and working on repairing lost communication and relationship with older and new characters in her life resulting in profound dynamic.

Would be background tree collecting dust with writers going through such effort, financial investment and hype(if they actually wanted to bring Misty back)for no gain? Is not being realistic.

Sole act of pokemon staff actually deciding to revive Misty character after more than 10 years to be important again and receive sequel to her own adventures would serve as strong indication of there existing serious planning ahead and will from their side to provide some unexpected twist and change from usual pattern in attracting older fans back into show and making that same character appealing and memorable for new generations of viewers as well.

Last edited:
    Years
  • i dont think Misty will make a return in the series unless it is another one of them cameo visit things since the hoenn region each region ash got a new traveling companion

Happy and at peace. :)
    Years
  • Because Ash , Misty and Brock has solid funny group chemistry that A Kids anime need.
    XY group just so freaking Sweet toward each other that it makes them boring.
    It doesn't matter what kind of development Clemont or Serena gotten , Kids want funny chemistry that make an anime enjoyable to watch.
    Such as this --

tumblr_oatta5AmXC1uemgr4o1_540.jpg

We can never see Ash saying something like that to ether Serena or Clemont. That one of reason why XY series was poorly receive in Japan.
    That why We need the original trio back Or The Series need to create new cast that are as enjoyable as Misty.
    Off course , If writer change Misty personality in excuse of development and turn her super sweet and nice then there will no point of bringing her back.

Plus Pokemon reach its 20th anniversary so Misty reappearance in one of the best way to celebrate it.
    Hahaha, that IS funny and good chemisty (get it?).

I think that they should have misty back. But, and I've noticed this with other things, the trio can't come back as it was.

Still, Misty coming back would be great!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    i dont think Misty will make a return in the series unless it is another one of them cameo visit things since the hoenn region each region ash got a new traveling companion

We've got new writers, though, and besides, considering that this isn't like any other time the show has been released in time for new generations, as this is for the 20th anniversary of the anime, AND we're getting merchandising for Misty being released right now combined with their just so happening to choose Hawaii as being the basis of Alola, Hawaii, an island chain, with the only other time that happened being in Hoenn, it's pretty certain they are openly advertising her return. No real reason to do all that stuff otherwise, especially the anime-related merchandising from G.E.M., especially when it isn't even the 20th anniversary of the anime yet, just the games. The only thing we can definitely say will remain the same is that Serena most likely will stay in Kalos, and that's mostly because, a. the new writers didn't take the opportunity to avert the whole "switch the girls new region" tradition when they had the chance with Iris, and b., Serena's probably the only character besides possibly Tracey whose goal practically advertised she was going to leave the group ("Kalos Queen."). We're not even sure if the female protagonist for Sun and Moon will even be part of the main group when Ash gets there. Don't forget, Hilda didn't even join the group in Best Wishes, despite being the female playable character in Black and White. Besides, it's nearing the end of July. If CoroCoro was going to give information on the new anime, not to mention Sun and Moon as a whole, they would have done it by now.

Years
  • If CoroCoro was going to give information on the new anime, not to mention Sun and Moon as a whole, they would have done it by now.

Remember that Sun & Moon is getting released in November which is later than usual for main series titles to be released in Japan, so it kinda makes sense they are holding off anime news for the potential Alola region saga until later as well.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Remember that Sun & Moon is getting released in November which is later than usual for main series titles to be released in Japan, so it kinda makes sense they are holding off anime news for the potential Alola region saga until later as well.

True, but even still, they could have at least given some indication about what we are to expect, like a poster, for example (I know they unveiled Dawn's anime poster quite a few months before even the DP games release, let alone the anime's release). And don't get me started on AG's poster that was unveiled around the time of the Whirl Cup.

Years
  • True, but even still, they could have at least given some indication about what we are to expect, like a poster, for example (I know they unveiled Dawn's anime poster quite a few months before even the DP games release, let alone the anime's release). And don't get me started on AG's poster that was unveiled around the time of the Whirl Cup.

There was also a BW poster that showed Iris and Cilan, but not Ash. Apparently Ash's new outfit for Unova was likely kept under wraps at the time of that poster getting released.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    There was also a BW poster that showed Iris and Cilan, but not Ash. Apparently Ash's new outfit for Unova was likely kept under wraps at the time of that poster getting released.

I think that was a bit different because during that time, it wasn't particularly clear whether Ash was even going to Unova (I know the Sunday shows were actually making note of Ash's absence, meaning even THEY were uncertain whether Ash was going to Unova, and considering they worked for the same company as the Anime guys, if they did know about Ash being in Unova, they wouldn't bother commenting on his absence). Right now, it's all but confirmed (or at the very least is growing to be even more likely each time intel is coming out) that Ash is going to win the Kalos League, so there isn't even a question as to whether Ash will win the league or not. That, combined with the rumor that there won't be any gyms in Alola and that we actually set up our very own league.

Either way, the bit about Iris and Cilan actually reinforces my point regarding the Sun and Moon female character. They would have started teasing her by now if she was going to be in the Sun and Moon anime. There doesn't seem to be ANY hint towards this. If anything, we have more reason to assume Misty will be coming in due to the odd release of G.E.M. series figurines based on her likeness.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    Hahaha, that IS funny and good chemisty (get it?).

I think that they should have misty back. But, and I've noticed this with other things, the trio can't come back as it was.

That's what scars me !
    I honestly didn't like Misty's new friendly mature personality in AG , It was as if Misty wasn't Misty anymore.
    I want Misty to retrain her old personality like Nami From One Piece! Nami also trained and Matured But she still kept her old Short-tempered Money-loving personality that dominate every single member of Screw Hat.
    I Also want Ash to show similar arrogance and narcissism as Original Ash as long as he doesn't become overconfident and Lose.
    Currently Ash Gentle and Nice personality making XY Series boring despite him being so strong.
    Even Goku and Luffy still shows some degree of arrogance.

It be so Cool if Misty also reappear with a New hairstyle that makes her prettier then every other girl in the series like Nami.
    Lets be honest , Current Nami is way more prettier and hotter then Boa Hancock or any other girl in the series. The only reason she and Luffy might not become Canon couple because she's a member of screw hat.

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    That's what scars me !
    I honestly didn't like Misty's new friendly mature personality in AG , It was as if Misty wasn't Misty anymore.
    I want Misty to retrain her old personality like Nami From One Piece! Nami also trained and Matured But she still kept her old Short-tempered Money-loving personality that dominate every single member of Screw Hat.

Misty was plenty of times friendly in Kanto and Johto too. Her personality had way more to it than just being abrasive and temperament. Hence why she became quickly liked and acknowledged due to depth and multiple sides characteristic for her behavior.

And for record i recall Misty revealing plenty of flare, temper, sarcasm and quirky, silly traits in AG generation as well during chronicles and cameos. Misty was there pretty much same as Misty we knew, with difference being that some of her older traits as result of maturing and growing up were polished and refined through sassy, rebellious, more confident, compassionate and playful interactions with Ash and Brock during Togepi release, Max in Pallet town reunion or chronicles in her conversation with sisters, Tracey, Sakura, Psyduck etc,. . Alongside gaining some new fresh skills, attributes and newborn flare which added much needed fresh, exciting and deeper note to her personality. Becoming more well rounded character.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    I think Misty should return but I don't think they will because it seems with every new series they try to cater to a different generation of audiences. With that being said, they should have a 20th anniversary special and treat it like a big event and promote it heavily now that Pokemon GO has captured everyone's attention. I do wish and hope they make another spinoff series with her as the main character. I just kinda thought they left her character with a lot of loose ends.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I think Misty should return but I don't think they will because it seems with every new series they try to cater to a different generation of audiences. With that being said, they should have a 20th anniversary special and treat it like a big event and promote it heavily now that Pokemon GO has captured everyone's attention. I do wish and hope they make another spinoff series with her as the main character. I just kinda thought they left her character with a lot of loose ends.

Maybe, but then again, they HAVE just released the G.E.M. series Misty figurine, which they generally don't do with characters in the past, let alone characters who were off the show for nearly 15 years (not to mention they didn't even do it during the 20th Anniversary of the Anime, just the 20th Anniversary of the Games, since the Anime's 20th Anniversary comes next year). And I find it fishy that they would release Sun and Moon (and presumably the anime therein) just shortly before the 20th Anniversary, and not only that, but also make a region that's based on the Hawaii archipelago, meaning it's more water than land). I wouldn't write off a Misty appearance just yet.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Maybe, but then again, they HAVE just released the G.E.M. series Misty figurine, which they generally don't do with characters in the past, let alone characters who were off the show for nearly 15 years (not to mention they didn't even do it during the 20th Anniversary of the Anime, just the 20th Anniversary of the Games, since the Anime's 20th Anniversary comes next year). And I find it fishy that they would release Sun and Moon (and presumably the anime therein) just shortly before the 20th Anniversary, and not only that, but also make a region that's based on the Hawaii archipelago, meaning it's more water than land). I wouldn't write off a Misty appearance just yet.

Do you think that the G.E.M series figurine of Misty is a precursor to her return?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Do you think that the G.E.M series figurine of Misty is a precursor to her return?

It probably is, especially when it's extremely unlikely for them to release characters who aren't current or relevant unless the past characters are indeed going to make an appearance. I mean, we don't get a May, Dawn, Max, Tracey, Iris, or Dent figurine, do we (and I want to be clear on this because I know someone will cite that Kotobukiya May figurine that just came out, when I say "May figurine", I mean her anime incarnation specifically, not her game incarnation or her manga incarnation [who is technically named Sapphire, but still], so the Kotobukiya figurine that was based on the game character [and more specifically, her character from ORAS] does NOT count. It has to be her anime incarnation for it to count, whether it be G.E.M. series preferably or any other figure distribution company.)? Brock's also getting a figurine as well (which is due for release in October), which may hint at a return on his end as well, alongside Nurse Joy. The only other characters in the anime who got a figurine are Kanto-era Ash, Jessie, and James, and even there, Kanto-era Ash is pretty much the more well known version of Ash so they'd likely use his likeness over his current one, and as far as Jessie and James, that could easily be their current selves since, Best Wishes aside, they're the only characters who DON'T undergo a wardrobe change each region. The fact that their Pokémon are Meowth and Wobbuffet, who are the mainstays of their group, further supports this. I might as well add something else: Unlike Ash and Brock's figurines, who came with at least one Pokémon they don't have anymore by the time their original series selves ended for whatever reason (Ash had Charmander, which has since evolved into Charizard, and besides which, was put under training by Lisa by the Original Series end; and Brock had Vulpix, which was given back to Suzy in Johto. Misty, however, had Psyduck and Togepi, which she actually kept both by the time she left the cast at the end of the Original Series.).

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    Misty, however, had Psyduck and Togepi, which she actually kept both by the time she left the cast at the end of the Original Series.).

She got rid of that one though in the advanced series. If she did comeback who would voice her Rachael Lillis or Michele Knotz?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    She got rid of that one though in the advanced series. If she did comeback who would voice her Rachael Lillis or Michele Knotz?

I know, that's why I made sure to state it was how they were in the Original Series by the time it ended. Since Togepi (or rather, Togetic) departed in the Advanced series, it really didn't count.

So far as who would voice her if she returns, it's up in the air at this point. On the one hand, they may have Michele Knotz return to voice her. On the other, they may pull a Giovanni and get her 4Kids voice actress (ie, Rachel Lillis) to return.

Years
    • Seen Aug 21, 2016
    So far as who would voice her if she returns, it's up in the air at this point. On the one hand, they may have Michele Knotz return to voice her. On the other, they may pull a Giovanni and get her 4Kids voice actress (ie, Rachel Lillis) to return.

Most of the voice actresses returned I think except for 2 of them. It would be interesting to see what they do.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I doubt Misty's returning, especially if that image of Mallow with Ash is true.

That could mean anything. Don't forget, the teaser poster for DP had Paul among Ash and Dawn with Brock nowhere in sight, implying he was going to replace Brock as a potential traveling buddy for Ash, yet then we learn that not only is Brock indeed part of the main party and Paul is not, but Paul in fact was Ash's rival. For all we know, Mallow could easily be a minor rival of Ash's in the beginning. And that's even assuming that's even going to be in the final show. Don't forget, the opening for I think Battle Frontier had Jessie with a Weavile, yet she never actually got one. In fact, the only one of the Pokémon that Team Rocket actually captured in the show in that opening was Mime Jr., who was caught by James.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back