• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mobile gaming

pkmin3033

I play mobile games...when I can't play a proper video game.

I know they've been around for an age now and they can be pretty fleshed-out experiences, but I still experience a certain disconnect when I think of mobile titles compared to more traditional gaming experiences - probably because the mobile market is saturated with free-to-play titles with stripped-down, minimalistic gameplay fuelled by microtransactions. To me they're not really immersive experiences as much as they are a distraction from my thoughts whilst I'm travelling, or when I get a spare minute and don't feel like firing up my console or handheld for a play session. They don't hold my attention for very long because they're not really substantial enough, and not what I would want from a video game. I just...don't think of mobile games as video games. Not even a different genre. They're about as much a video game as a walking simulator, or an "art game" that tries to use artistic expression to justify the lack of actual gameplay and content. Video games can be art, but that doesn't make interactive art a video game.

Maybe that's close-minded of me, but...eh. They just don't meet my personal standards. Which is why I only play them as a last resort.

...needless to say, I have never spent any money on a mobile title, and I don't intend to. Sometimes I've been impatient and irritated with the wait - or the lack of egg incubators in Pokemon Go, for fuck's sake - but the price doesn't justify the value and, once I open that can of worms, I won't stop. Costs like this have a way of racking up without you really noticing, and in video games I am the kind of person who may very well pay for convenience if the price is right: I have bought permanent EXP boosters, powerful weapons, and the like in video games before as DLC. If I start buying gems or whatever to speed up the wait and I want to get something done before I get off the bus or whatever, I will keep doing it. I know my own habits and, even though they're not particularly immersive, mobile titles CAN be addicting. So no. No purchases at all.

That said, the first three Dragon Quest games are on iOS, and they're cheap, so I may very well pick those up when I'm ready to play them. I've not really explored the iOS store so I don't know what else is on there, but given that I use my phone only in short bursts and my first port of call for a distraction is usually Happy Colour or Pocket Frogs rather than Pokemon Go, Fire Emblem Heroes, or Final Fantasy Record Keeper, they're probably not worth the money unless I can't get them anywhere else.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
    Honestly, I'm a huge mobile gamer here. It's just a lot easier for me to open my phone up an play a game rather than turn on an entire console, wait for that to boot up, need updates, and wait for that game to load up for what seems like an eternity. I've always been more of a fan of portable games, so, when I got a cellphone, I dropped into the land of mobile game hell.

I used to do in app purchases, but I've pretty much stopped. Decided it definitely was no longer worth it anymore to do it.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
    I've grown into more of a mobile gamer over the years. I never go anywhere without my phone so I keep several games on it to entertain myself. Bad thing is though they all require internet so if I don't have internet I'm kinda SOL.

Afi

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2020
    Usually play the free games that can be downloaded from Google Play. So far haven't spent a single dime on them and probably won't. They're a great way to pass the time and can be pretty addictive.

Years
    • Seen Oct 6, 2019
    I never find myself playing any mobile game longer then 10-15 minutes, I get borred to quickly, however some are great for during lunchbreak etc...

Sojiro

Hoo Boy
    Years
    I typically play word games or something. I have a game called Jumbline 2 that shuffles letters and you form words from them. I've also got 2048, a classic. Finally I've got Doodle God/Devil, 2 games based on combining elements/materials to produce new ones.

Cid

Years
    I was thinking I'd try out Apple's new Apple Arcade plan, heard it has some great mobile games and none have IAP. A lot of people are saying it's a good investment. choicesss

I saw that in a video, too! It was criticizing Mario Kart Tour and using Apple Arcade as an example of mobile games done right. I personally don't have an iPhone but it seems like a good package.

I saw that in a video, too! It was criticizing Mario Kart Tour and using Apple Arcade as an example of mobile games done right. I personally don't have an iPhone but it seems like a good package.

Was it Jim Sterling?? I watched the video not long ago too, it was enlightening. Did some quick research on Apple Arcade after that and it definitely seemed worth the purchase. \o/

Cid

Years
    Was it Jim Sterling?? I watched the video not long ago too, it was enlightening. Did some quick research on Apple Arcade after that and it definitely seemed worth the purchase. \o/

I don't remember if it was since there seem to be a lot of videos making the comparison. But I do remember agreeing a lot with the video. I'll try to look for it sometime. Hope Nintendo learns from the fan response.

Soaring Sid

Now I'm motivated
    Years
    Aha! The mobile gaming thread! XD Mobile games! Though i don't like the IAPs, the general tone of reward many such games offer, there are some that i feel are awesome. There are some mobile games that steal the looks of their characters from actual games, which is pretty lame, but there are some that stand out and must be tried. I haven't found many of those games, but i still play some of them. I'll list them below:
    1)Hoppenhelm(Side scrolling hopping game, it's super fun)
    2)Soul Knight(it's Enter the Gungeon on mobile, basically)
    3)Infinity Loop(It's a puzzle game)
    4) Knife Hit(You hit a circular thing with Knives, that's pretty much it, except that there are some tricks to it)

Back