• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mojang is Getting Sued by Bethesda

Xyrin

WOW REMEMBER THIS??
Years
  • Mojang is getting sued. Apparently Bethesda doesn't like the name of "Scrolls" because it's too close to "The Elder Scrolls" which doesn't seem right. I assume they think people will mistake Scrolls for Skyrim. Which doesn't exactly make sense because they're two completely different games.

Here's the full story according to Notch

Discuss, what do you think on the matter? Is it fair?

NurseBarbra

くら くら?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Feb 4, 2017
    emm.... might as well sue everyone else who's made a game before them containing the word "Scrolls".... you know, to cover a wide basis?

U.Flame

Maker of Short Games
    Years
  • Scroll is a noun, not a trademarked word. I don't think anyone can bring the use of a noun into court without looking like an idiot.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The word Scrolls is not copyrighted. It's insane the things companies get sued for nowadays.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This is... preposterous; that's all it can be, really. It's also familiar — I think Bethesda have done this sort of thing before.
    I don't think it's within Bethesda's rights to assert their trademark that broadly, but I'm not a legal professional...

Years
  • I am pretty sure that they won't win the lawsuit. Since 'Scrolls' can be a widely used word in games, it would be difficult for them to sue a company over this such word. They haven't got a copyright over the word and when you say 'scrolls', you don't exactly think of 'The Elder Scrolls', well I think the average amount of people won't, unlike 'Halo', which pretty much everyone knows.

I think they are just trying to scare Mojang into something, but not sure what.​

Arcanine

There is no "-tina"
    Years
  • Will Bethesda win? More then likely not (but then again... you can never tell these days).
    I just don't see a point to them doing this... Is it like Will said and trying to scare them? Is it trying to stir up some talk about Skyrim (not that it's really needed)? Or maybe they really believe they own the world "scrolls" and expect to be paid when someone uses the word.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Ridiculous and a dork move on Bethesda's part. I'd be pretty surprised to see this go through. Could be a publicity stunt, albeit working from the "no such thing as bad publicity" standpoint.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    I want to say that Bethesda won't win, but Tim Langdell prevented the word 'Edge' from being used for so long, and George Lucas still has control over the word 'Droid'.

It's pretty hilarious if they actually believe people think TES when they mention Scrolls. I've actually heard more people refer to Skyrim as Oblivion 5 than TES 5.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    From what I heard from people, It isn't really Bethseda going after Mojang, it's Zenimax Media, Bethseda's game publisher.
    Bethesda is a subsidary of ZeniMax Media, but yeah, this probably is the latter's fault. In any case, since Bethesda is the bigger name and the one more likely to be referred to, it brings them as a whole greater negative attention for actions like this.

Back