• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mono-Bug

DP_Shiruka

Mono-Type Enthusiast
    Years
    This is my first time trying to build a team and I've always loved the mono-type battles so I figured that I should start with Bug type, being the first one in alphabetical order. I'm a total noob at this so please leave your suggestions below on how to make my team better. Thanks! :D

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
    Ability: Aerilate
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Quick Attack
    - Return
    - Close Combat
    - Earthquake

The star of the team. When I had to pick a Bug-type mega I went for Mega Pinsir straight away just because it looked so badass and actually has decent stats. I went for Jolly because I care more about speed than damage, but I'm not sure if I should switch it to Adamant since I have Sticky Web setup on Galvantula. The moveset is pretty self-explanatory I suppose. Also, I would put Moxie as pre-mega Pinsir's ability for revenge killing scenarios.

Scolipede @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Speed Boost
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Careful Nature
    - Protect
    - Swords Dance
    - Iron Defense
    - Baton Pass

I picked up Scolipede cause I think Bug types do need an extra boost to help them survive and kill things. With decent tanky stats Scolipede can tank damage and set-up and then Baton Pass into my other Pokes to enable sweeping potential. I feel like this is a nice addition to the team.

Forretress @ Leftovers
    Ability: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
    Relaxed Nature
    IVs: 0 Spe
    - Spikes
    - Stealth Rock
    - Rapid Spin
    - Gyro Ball

I wanted a "lead/anti-lead" kind of Pokemon that can set up hazards so Forretress was the natural choice here. It can set up Spikes and Stealth Rock, Rapid Spin when hazards are up (Esp Stealth Rocks, hurt bugs D:) Also I put Gyro Ball as the last move just so I can dish out even just a tiny bit of damage.

Vespiquen (F) @ Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Pressure
    EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
    Calm Nature
    - Defend Order
    - Toxic
    - Roost
    - Infestation

The moment I saw this thing's Special Defense I picked her up immediately. Little did I know she had a Toxic+Infestation combo which makes her busted. Defend Order is there so we can be even more tankier and Roost for recovery. I think the only thing that can stop this thing is status effects and crits.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Sticky Web
    - Thunder
    - Bug Buzz
    - Energy Ball

As I mentioned earlier, I picked up Galvantula as a Sticky Web set-up. But not only just that, I think it can act as a fast special sweeper as well. Compound Eyes synergises with Thunder so that's really good in my opinion. Bug Buzz and Energy Ball for STAB and coverage.

Volcarona @ Life Orb
    Ability: Swarm
    EVs: 116 HP / 252 SpA / 140 Spe
    Modest Nature
    - Fiery Dance
    - Bug Buzz
    - Quiver Dance
    - Psychic

The last member of the team. I've always been a fan of Volcarona and I think it fits perfectly here. I did not went for 252 Speed as there is Sticky Web set-up and I invested more in HP so it can be a tanky yet powerful sweeper. I went for Swarm because I felt like Life Orb could synergise well with it. As for the moves, Fiery Dance is just really good, STAB, high base power and 100% accuracy and a 50% chance to increase Special Attack. Bug Buzz yet again for STAB and Quiver Dance for set-up potential. I picked Psychic as the last move for coverage.

Feel free to make changes to my team! (Except Mega-Pinsir and Volcarona, I really want them :p) And be nice to me please :) Alright I think that's pretty much it. Thank you once again :3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Mega Pinsir doesn't need both Earthquake and Close Combat at once. They provide redundant coverage. Drop one of them for Swords Dance.

If you're playing Smogon rules, Baton Pass can't be used with moves/abilities that boost Speed and another stat simultaneously (in Scolipede's case, it can't use Swords Dance and/or Iron Defense in conjunction with Speed Boost). Scolipede makes for a good late-game cleaner:
    -Megahorn
    -Poison Jab/Rock Slide
    -Earthquake/Aqua Tail
    -Protect/Swords Dance/Baton Pass
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb

Alternatively, Scolipede can act as a hazard suicide lead:
    -Spikes
    -Toxic Spikes
    -Megahorn/Pin Missile
    -Endeavor
    Nature: Hasty
    EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash

As far as I'm concerned, Bug/Flying is a terrible defensive typing, so I wouldn't waste my time with Vespiquen.

Flame Body is the superior ability over Swarm on Volcarona. Yes, its Defense is bad, but the potential to punish contact physical attackers with a burn is priceless. Also, Fire Blast is better than Fiery Dance because of the extra power. A Timid nature with 184 Speed EVs allows Volcarona to outspeed Choice Scarf Therian Landorus after a Quiver Dance.

Years
    The only really big thing I can suggest is that you remove Vespiquen because its shocking defensive typing renders it totally useless. I'd recommend Scizor so you have another really heavy hitter that also resists rock and only takes neutral damage from Flying types. If you wanted something more passive you could try Shuckle or Wormandam (Sand). The former is a massive wall whilst the latter can EQ Fire types switching in. Scizor is certainly a better option though.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I've always liked Passho Berry+Giga Drain better on Volcarona, since it allows it to set up on and beat Water types, rather than be forced out by them. I can't think of anything Psychic hits better than its STABS+Giga Drain. LO recoil sucks and Quiver Dance gives it enough power to bust through shit.

The critical thing with your team here are to keep Forretress alive due to the team's inherent SR weakness, particularly when your sweepers of Volcarona and Mega Pinsir are 4x weak to it. Also need to be very careful of Heatran and Mega Zards.

Years
    M-Scizor is one of the best Megas in the game so if you want a team to have a good shot at being competitive I'd build around that. M-Pinsir is good but is overshadowed by MZor in many ways. Despite this, if you still want to use M-Pinsir (because MZor is a pretty boring mon and constantly used so it's not that cool haha), definitely replace Vespiquen - it makes a third of your team 4x weak to stealth rock. Heracross is a decent option.

Heracross @ Leftovers
    Ability: Guts
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
    Adamant Nature
    - Swords Dance
    - Close Combat
    - Knock Off
    - Megahorn

Just as an additional suggestion, this is an extremely powerful wallbreaker that can poke major holes in the opposing team:

Yanmega @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Tinted Lens
    EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Bug Buzz
    - Air Slash
    - Giga Drain
    - U-turn

Back