• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Theory] More could have been done with the Unowns

Years
    I just mentioned on another thread that:
    I remember them (The Solaceon Ruins), and catching Unowns to get the Poke-Ball seals. And some items like Rynamite said. I was disappointed it wasn't anything more though. Actually, I'm still annoyed that the Unowns are all practically pointless and nothing has been done with them. Like the Ruins of Alph in GSC were creepy and the music was unsettling, and you had to catch all 26 of them to unlock the Unown Pokedex.

Its a shame Game Freak has done nothing much major with them. Like if you catch all of them you open up some new significant area or they're required to get a mythical Pokemon etc.

So what do you think about the Unowns and are you also disappointed they're just kind of gimmicky and useless?

I mean I know they're mentioned in lore a few times, and you can see them in the Sinjoh Ruins when you pick a Dialga/Palkia/Giratina egg, and they're said to be creators of the universe or something, but not much more.

*Also, considering you had to do puzzles in GSC to unlock more of the Unowns in the cave, they seemed like they were going to be something major, but amounted to nothing.

Share your thoughts. :)

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
    No surprises there. It's Gamefreak, it's ISO Standard Procedure for them and really, if you are expecting anything more, best be turning to eg.: romhacks if you can find one that provides the Experience™.

There's lots that could be done with the Unowns for very little scripting cost but oh well. It's not their fault, so I don't fault them. As gimmick mons, they suffer the same fate as the rest of them have done, so for the most part we can dream.

Would be nice if more was done with them? Yes, of course, but for that and much more to be fixed, first Pokémon as a thing has to be handed over to a more proactive IP holder, or something just as drastic. In the meantime I vote with my wallet - the money that would otherwise be spent paying for the games I spend on good pijamas so that I can dream of good Pokémon games, and don't otherwise pay attention.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    I can quite easily resolve it in my head: they're found in ruins, after all. Within the world of Pokémon I consider them to be quite literally out-dated. They were clearly far more important in pre-Poké-history, with the Sinjoh Ruins thing suggesting Arceus had quite a bit of use for them in the creation of the universe.
    I see it similar to how a lot of fantasy has magic's power and abundance waning. Unown's Hidden Power was once probably devastating, but with the absence of their leader - Arceus aka God - it is weakened. In my own mind event-exclusive Pokémon don't actually affect the world any more. So whilst in Hoenn and Sinnoh you havetThe Pokémon that control climate, space, time and anti-matter emerge out into the world once more, the likes of Arceus, Celebi etc. are gone. Except Mew, Mew is just brilliant at hiding. I also think the Unown used their abilities to create the original structures that are now the ruins that they're found in, and that written language (English, anyway) came from humans in the Pokémon world being influenced by Unown. So when you go into the ruins with the Unown-writing on the walls, that's some of the earliest writing in this universe.
    But I agree, more could have actually been done with them. Given how busy the games have gotten in terms of legendaries over the years, I'm kinda glad more wasn't done though.

Endaerius_Stillwood

Gym Leader - Fire/Dark
    Years
    I just mentioned on another thread that:

So what do you think about the Unowns and are you also disappointed they're just kind of gimmicky and useless?

I mean I know they're mentioned in lore a few times, and you can see them in the Sinjoh Ruins when you pick a Dialga/Palkia/Giratina egg, and they're said to be creators of the universe or something, but not much more.

*Also, considering you had to do puzzles in GSC to unlock more of the Unknowns in the cave, they seemed like they were going to be something major, but amounted to nothing.

Share your thoughts. :)

I have a head canon (aka: Fanon) That if you collect ALL the unknown (including missing O without crashing, or hacking) then max all their friendships, they will merge and evolve into a legendary pokemon called Cipher who was the one to teach early man about written language. etc

Years
    I have a head canon (aka: Fanon) That if you collect ALL the unknown (including missing O without crashing, or hacking) then max all their friendships, they will merge and evolve into a legendary pokemon called Cipher who was the one to teach early man about written language. etc

This just reminded me about those Pokegods the kids kept talking about during recess lmao. Cipher better watch out for Mewthree and Nidogod!

Back