• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most annoying Gym Leader

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    Probably, the hardest gyms for me would be:

Yellow Version: Brock. I had a Pikachu, and only a Pikachu. I didn't know how to do anything, since that was the first game I ever got, so I was left in the wind. I remember, though this was so many years back, I kept trying to beat Brock over and over and over again. Failed every time. It was rather a shame, really because I was what? Five years old back then and I kept losing to the same guy. Talk about something to lose your self-esteem when it came to games, that guy was brutal. Why they put him first in the game, I'll never know. Especially with the fact that the only wild Pokemon, as far as I can remember, around Pewter City were all normal, and flying types. Along with a few Metapod. I don't remember how, exactly, I beat him, but I know for a fact that he was the hardest.
    Red and Blue Version: Due to being able to start off with Bulbasaur, I chose him. The first two gyms, so easy. Had a difficult time with Misty, but stormed right on through. But by the time Koga came around, that's when things started to get difficult. So annoying! Everyone else in his gym had psychic types but him. I was expecting, though I've read the sign, that he'd come out with Psychic types, since I never fight Sabrina until I beat Koga, just because I like Sabrina better and think she's the coolest of the Kanto gym leaders (-- and I was very fond of her). Anyway, those moves were hard on my whole team. I remember, I formed my team based on Ash's team (and a few of my favorites). I don't remember the exact team, but I know it was very difficult facing him. Toxic. Back then that was a killer move, still is, but back then it seemed like it was stronger, which it probably was. That was the move that destroyed me until I decided to get a Kadabra and.. *sigh* go to Saffron City to face both the "fighting gym" and Sabrina.
    Silver, Gold and Crystal: I had started off, like a few others, with a Chikorita. I had chose it, due to the fact that I wanted to keep my team, yet again, based on Ash's. So, I start my journey throughout Johto with the Chikorita.
    Spoiler:

Ignore all that ^
    After thinking it over, I'll have to say that Whitney (sorry Jeremy XD) was the most annoying gym leader in Johto. She was probably the toughest one I had faced. Like I said in the spoiler (if you've read it --only reason I'm keeping it in here is because it took me forever to type that and I don't want it to go to waste), I had started off with the lovable grass type. I was very fond of them, and wanted to keep up with Ash's team. When I got to Whitney, I was expecting an easy win seeing as how all but one of the gym trainers had easy to beat Sentret. I go against her, and then I lose humiliatingly. I ended up having to make a whole new team. Since this was one of the few towns that had "strong" wild Pokemon, that were around the level of Whitney's Clifairy, I went searching for some. I ended up finding no good Pokemon and rollout, which I taught to my Quilava (traded with my brother, since he never used his Gold version) and then with that done, I beat Whitney easily. But it took many tries to finally get the job done. Then she goes and cries. I thought I won, I thought I had the badge, so I went to continue on my journey only to find out that I didn't get anything [retarded, I know. XD]. I go back, get what's needed, and go fight the Sudowoodo.
    Sapphire, Ruby and Emerald: Having been attracted to both Claire and Sabrina, surely I would become attracted to another, and I did. The elegant, Winona. Her team of flying types was surprisingly hard. No details about it though, sadly.
    Diamond and Pearl: I found the Sinnoh gym leaders all surprisingly easy and not at all annoying. It wasn't really until the Elite Four when things started to get annoying. I started off with Turtwig (the first round playing the game - ended up restarting after not making it past the Elite Four). But since I have to choose one, it'd be Maylene. Only due to that drain punch! And with that said, that ends my rant.

Spoiler:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    Hell broke loose when I lost 100 times to these specified leaders:
    Maylene,whitney,jasmine,giovanni,blue,bugsy,sunnyshore dude,and kate and tate. The twins of mosdeep stopped me from beatin emerald so I think tose 2 count as the worst.

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
    o.o I want to go by generation too...

Yeah!, that scyther was just uncalled for, You would never expect a gym so early in the game to have one.

My level 7 pidgey Solo'd that gym with a few potions, He was level 15 when I left haha

You beat Bugsy with a level seven Pidgey that only knows tackle and sand attack? D: Wow, that makes me feel... low. XD Well, I guess recently we should go by generation, and due to the fact I only did the second, and because those two were the hardestmost annoying I had ever faced. I do the other three. ;D

First generation: Blue version
    Most annoying Gym Leader

Misty

Many people say Brock was the hardest and most annoying in the first generation, well not for me really, I guess it was my Mankey and luck, I don't remember exactly. I lost to him the first time, but got him the second time around and he really wasn't 'annoying'. I started off with Charmander in generation one, so of course he was hard, but Misty was much much harder. Why was she so annoying? The fact water beats fire. :/ I had a Charmeleon by the time I reached her, I didn't have a Pikachu or really any other weapon to combat her squad. During the trainers I fought, I found I was going to be a severe disadvantage, so I trained a little, and felt pretty confident going into the match. I say Staryu for the first time in my
    Pokélife. Very difficult with water gun just eating Charmeleon's health like no tomorrow, I use some potions and such and defeat it by the skin of my teeth. To meet the oh so terrifying... Starmie. >>; This Pocket Monster was the epitome of difficult and annoying, I couldn't touch it, let allow it's Bubblebeam owned me six ways to Sunday. I trained so hard for Starmie to kick my Pocket Monster to the curb many many times. So, eventually I train really really hard. And sacrifice all my Pokémon to get to Starmie with Charmeleon fully fresh. We battle fiercely and I get it to around two HP, then Misty uses a hyper potion (I think it was hyper, can't remember) And Starmie owns me yet again. Misty wasn't as bad as Jasmine, for Jasmine has Thunder wave, Supersonic and other 'annoying' factors. Misty was simply difficult and annoying type wise. After that match I came back and won as she didn't use the potion the next time around. (Thank god she didn't. XD)

Second generation: Gold

Read this post, or just scroll up some. XD

Angela said:
    Bugsy - I just never liked him(or was it a boyish looking girl? XD)

Oh my god, yes, I'm not the only one! And yeah, I thought he was a girl at first, but actually a guy. O_o

Third generation: Sapphire
    Most annoying Gym Leader

Tate & Liza

When I first played the third generation, it was my friend's game. He started with Torchic too. By the time I reached Mossdeep, I was already getting into the swing of things, not that many tough gym battles, everything running smoothly it seemed. I had a high level Blaziken and some HM slaves, Blaze really did all the work, that was my friend's idea of Pocket Monsters, the first one does all the work. XD Anyway, after having an extremely difficult time finding out how to get there. By the time I reached them I was surprised it was a double battle. I had a couple of revives here and there, but knowing they were psychic made me feel a bit intimidated. The battle was a stall war to put it simply. Lunatune using hypnosis to knock most of my Pocket Monsters out of commission, and calm mind wasn't helping either. I had to use all the potions and revives I had just to keep up, not only that, I had no clue at the time how to defeat them. I didn't understand their typing and was throwing not very effective attacks often. Eventually it grew into a match of Blaziken vs. both Solrock and Lunatune and I simply lost due to the weird fact the gym leaders used hyper potions and full restores like I had never seen before. I believe they used at least two to three plus. :O I had to go back and train, came back into another stall war and won just because they ran out of PP and struggled, one of the weirdest ways to earn a badge too. ;D

xiraiya said:
    Those twins in Emerald, at Mosdeep? I can't remember but they definitly caught me off guard, everyone else was...too easy.
    Agreed, those two definitely caught me off guard. >>;

Fourth generation: Diamond

Most annoying Gym Leader

Candice

The fourth generation brought yet another year of the level rate being lowered, which in all honesty, made the Gym Leaders worse, or any trainer for that matter. I really didn't struggle with any of the Sinnoh Gym Leaders, but Candice was an annoying one. I had just reached Snowpoint City after that horrific blizzard (aka walk the speed of a snail) Realized I had to beat the gym to continue on with the storyline... It took me hours to figure those snowballs out honestly. ;; That kinda ticked me off by the time I got to her. During the battle, I had Empoleon set to wipe her clean with steal type moves. (I think it was metal claw) So, everything is usual until she got tons of luck and I miss countless times. Only to get hit hard by wood hammer over and over. I think use my remaining pocket monsters to defeat her, but she was annoying for the reason she was really lucky in the match.

So, yeah, those are my most annoying Gym Leaders by generation. Wow, I put too much effort into these. o_o;

Last edited:

destinedjagold

I do not exist.
    Years
    • Seen May 26, 2024
    the only annoying gym for me is Whitney, 'cause of her Miltank... >.<
    also, Bugsy's Scyther was pretty er, weak, I brought along a Mareep with me though... :\

carter756978

Bass Player
    Years
    • Seen Apr 12, 2013
    whitney and falkner, because i always started with cyndaquil. falkner taught his pokemon mud-slap and whitney's miltank had rollout

Glaceon_

Here today, [i]gone tomorrow...?[/i]
    Years
    whitney and falkner, because i always started with cyndaquil. falkner taught his pokemon mud-slap and whitney's miltank had rollout

I always countered Mud-Slap with Hoothoot. XD

I actually remember Whitney being a pain, as well. Her Miltank surprisingly laid down the law of Normal types.. D:
    But because of that is why I (kind of) liked her. XD

.Bastion

O a t h k e e p e r
    Years
    I like the way beachboy set his up, so I'll do mine the same way. XD

Most annoying Gym Leader

Generation I

Yeah it's gotta be Misty. Her Starmie was tough to beat, especially because I usually picked Charmander or Squirtle for my starter DX. First Staryu would weaken my pokemon and Starmie would kill them off quickly. Even when I caught a Pikachu, Starmie made quick work of it. I had to train alot before I could finally beat her and her hotness XD

Most annoying Gym Leader

Generation II

Whitney. Morty came a close second though. Like BeachBoy, I was the Chikorita player. Even though Whitney didn't have type advantage, Bayleef didn't have anything good to use on Miltank. Rollout was death. Even though its a lame move, it always seemed like she hardly ever missed. And then Milk Drink kept it alive even more.

Most annoying Gym Leader

Generation III

Liza and Tate. Every time I got to these two, I always found my team underlevelled and they had at least one attack that was super effective against one of mine. I hated when Claydol spammed Earthquake. Probably the toughest out of their team.

Most annoying Gym Leader

Generation IV

I didn't think there was a truly annoying gym leader in this generation. The rest weren't difficult at all except for maybe Fantina. Her Drifblim and Mismagius were quite annoying and looking back, I'm not sure what my strategy was against them. XD

o.necromancer.o

(Insert Something Random)
    Years
    • Age 31
    • ?
    • Seen Sep 29, 2008
    Whitney pissed me off to no end. I hate that freaking miltank and her stupid clefairy kept putting me to sleep.

Renneh

I know A Bot
    Years
    • Seen Mar 14, 2009
    For me, it has been, since the first time I played Silver years and years ago, Clair. Sure, she was difficult when it came to the actual battle (what with Kingdra and all), but then she had to go and send you into the Dragon's Den to get one stupid item to prove your "worth" to her (or, in Crystal, take a test to do the same thing), as if kicking her tail in the Pokemon battle wasn't enough like it was for every other Gym Leader ever (even Whitney).

Definitely agree. Complete sore loser and as I'm lazy, I really wasn't too happy.

Whitney, I don't mind so much, I didn't have a huge problem defeating her.

The gym leaders I probably had the hardest time defeating was Liza and Tate, I even went out and got a new pokemon and trained it up to thrash them, one that there pokemon had a general weakness against, can't remember what it was now though, so long ago.

xiraiya

Future Sinnoh Champion
    Years
    Definitely agree. Complete sore loser and as I'm lazy, I really wasn't too happy.

Whitney, I don't mind so much, I didn't have a huge problem defeating her.

The gym leaders I probably had the hardest time defeating was Liza and Tate, I even went out and got a new pokemon and trained it up to thrash them, one that there pokemon had a general weakness against, can't remember what it was now though, so long ago.

I think a few of the Johto gyms just had certain Pokemon for the only reason of snapping you back into reality so people realized they were probably under leveled/unprepared for the next part of the game.

That Miltank whitney had was useful for that, and Claire's Kingdra gave people an unexpected taste of what the elite four was going to be like.

Liza & Tate was by far in my opinion, was the best designed gym battle of the third generation, their AI was really smart and slightly annoying if you didn't have a dark type of any kind.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    I liked Whitney, but she used to pissed me off so much. I had to play through Gold 3 times to figure out the best strategy to beat her: Leveling up to over level 23.

The Gym Leaders I despise are from Generation IV. Maylene irritated me to no end. Seriously? A Lucario? She made me hate Veilstone for nearly a month. I also hated Fantina because she is irritating. She abandons her Gym, shes a Coordinator (and a very poor one at that) not to mention she doesnt seem to understand anything in battle (seriously pay close attention to her dialog in game). To be honest I like a lot of Gym Leaders because they are pretty cool people and they are good for leveling up.

Lash

Years
    In Yellow, Brock. It took me a couple tries to defeat him.
    In GSC, Whitney's Miltank seriously tested my patience.
    RBY's annoying leaders were Brawly, Norman, and Tate&Liza. They had some tough Pokemon.
    DP is Maylene. Lucario is a tough cookie.

And there is my list of annoying gym leaders. For everything else, theres MasterCard®

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Whys everyone picking on clair?
    I liked her. :\
    I dont know why, guess she was the only dragon gym-leader and all. Though she is a sore loser XD
    But th one I hated (not annoying) was definitely:
    Most annoying Gym Leader

God, nintendo. You have reached a new low. What were you thinking? A strange large guy in a costume. This is the only gym leader I have issues with. i'd rather see pokemon greens Mew than see him.

Anyway, most annoying was definitely:
    Most annoying Gym Leader
    God she was annoying on pokemon red. Especially the first time I played it and only trained charmander. I had to evolve it to Charizard to beat her :\

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
    *Points to tate and liza*
    I hate them,
    i couldn't finish Emerald because of them, so i just transfered to pal park :)

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
    For Yellow version, it was definitely Brock. Seriously, they give you ONE choice for a starter and it happens to be weak against the first gym leader. And if that wasn't enough, the Pokemon at the beginning of the game don't stand much of a chance against Brock either. I honestly don't remember how I got through that one.

ChuBoy

Pikachu Fanatic!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 9, 2008
    I remeber how I couldn't stand Whitney. Her miltank is probably the most annoying Gym leader pokemon.

Back