• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Most underused/Overused Pokemon

Raven Valt

You gave me power in your gods name.
    Years
    What Pokemon in RSE do you consider under used and which pokemon do you consider over used? This can be in terms of how often you use them in your casual playthroughs or however often you see them in other people's.

For me, Salamence is an extremely underused pokemon, Given you need 8 gym badges in order to begin catching Bagon, often in my runs and I notice in other people's that they already have a dedicated flying type and or another dragon type that comes earlier, such as Flygon or Altaria. Also given that it doesn't become a Salamence until level 50, the xp curve on it makes it a real grind to obtain.

In terms of overused, the easy option is often that starters, but seeing as they're in a way forced upon you, a wild encounter I'd go for is Linoone, and I know Linoone is often included for good reason, despite not being the best stat wise, Linoone I would say has the biggest movepool and type coverage of any RSE pokemon. It can go physical or special, be used in a multitude of situations and often serves as a sacrifice for reviving other pokemon.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    salamence is underused for sure, bc usually no one wants to wait to get a main party member that late in the game. idk it feels lame to get a pokemon that late because by then, they've missed the bulk of the journey. kinda sucks. other underused pokemon uhhhh i guess like. crawdaunt for lacking stab dark moves other than knock off, torkoal for being...torkoal, spinda probably doesn't get a lot of use either, beautifly????? maybe???? idk. also metagross bc you can't even get beldum until post game so unless you can trade one over, no one's going on a badge journey with one along for the ride.

overused is easy though, everyone has at least used blaziken, swampert, sceptile, manectric, ludicolo, gardevoir, absol, milotic, slaking, altaria, or flygon at least once.

Last edited:
    Years
    there's a lot of underused gen 3 pokemon. wailord and flygon stands out to me though. i've used wailord once and it is hard to find and level one up. flygon is like the younger brother of salamence. didn't even get that mega :(

most used must be gardevoir. i see it everywhere o.o and it's understandable. gardevoir is a pokemon with good typing and solid movesets.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
    Years
    I feel like Salamence is over used.
    And, Metagross (especially in ORAS when it's shiny).
    Which begs the question, is a shiny pokémon really shiny, if everyone has that shiny?

Raven Valt

Years
    there's a lot of underused gen 3 pokemon. wailord and flygon stands out to me though. i've used wailord once and it is hard to find and level one up. flygon is like the younger brother of salamence. didn't even get that mega :(

most used must be gardevoir. i see it everywhere o.o and it's understandable. gardevoir is a pokemon with good typing and solid movesets.

It's interesting you bring up Wailord and Flygon as under used, I'd of said Flygon is more forwards the over used side because it's an early dragon type, sadly all dragon types bar Salamence fall prey to gen 3's type physical and special system but Flygon does a decent job even without stab dragon. Wailord I feel a lot of people get pre or post game for the regi hunting. pre e4 it's a decently good water type, has decent attack stats and its massive hp stat makes up for not so good defenses.

salamence is underused for sure, bc usually no one wants to wait to get a main party member that late in the game. idk it feels lame to get a pokemon that late because by then, they've missed the bulk of the journey. kinda sucks. other underused pokemon uhhhh i guess like. crawdaunt for lacking stab dark moves other than knock off, torkoal for being...torkoal, spinda probably doesn't get a lot of use either, beautifly????? maybe???? idk. also metagross bc you can't even get beldum until post game so unless you can trade one over, no one's going on a badge journey with one along for the ride.

overused is easy though, everyone has at least used blaziken, swampert, sceptile, manectric, ludicolo, gardevoir, absol, milotic, slaking, altaria, or flygon at least once.

I forgot about Beldum, mainly because once I beat the E4 and catch all the legandaries I start again, You're absolutely right there.. Milotic I'd say not overused even close, Feebas is a pain in the ass to get and evolving it isn't simple. Crawdaunt not having any good dark stab is just weird. How can a pokemon with a dual type lack anything good in one type.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I forgot about Beldum, mainly because once I beat the E4 and catch all the legandaries I start again, You're absolutely right there.. Milotic I'd say not overused even close, Feebas is a pain in the ass to get and evolving it isn't simple. Crawdaunt not having any good dark stab is just weird. How can a pokemon with a dual type lack anything good in one type.

yeah idk what i was thinking putting milotic in that list. scratch it off. but yeah crawdaunt makes me so mad bc get this: it gets crunch in FRLG, but not RS...and not even emerald. that means they gave it STAB dark in FRLG...turned around and made emerald and didn't bother to change its moveset to include crunch like in FRLG. why would they do that lol. crawdaunt is so cool. i always get put off using it bc dark is so useful and to have a dark pokemon without a dark move (i'm not even COUNTING knock off that's bs) just feels like a wasted opportunity.

Raven Valt

Years

I feel its only saving grace is naturally learning Swords dance. Give it Return, Sludge bomb, Aerial Ace/Brick Break and then Surf/Crab Hammer and it's actually not bad at cleaning up grass types.

Back