• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useful 6 Pokemon Team for Traveling Kanto

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    This thread is about which 6 Kanto Pokémon you would take with you if you were traveling on a adventure through the Kanto Region in real life. You have to consider all of the basic modes of transportation you would need as well as other obstacles you might encounter.

What would be your 6 Pokémon team for traveling through a real life Kanto Region?

This video goes more in depth with the topic.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I've actually been thinking about this many times! If I wasn't a serious pokémon battler and rather just wanted to travel with as little problems as possible while still having pokémon I enjoy, I wouldn't always care about how strong in battle a pokémon in my team was, or what types I chose.

Can we, like, make this topic to be about any region though? Feels kind of restrictive to only ask about traveling Kanto. I'll edit the title to reflect this, but if you (Time Capsule Caper) really disagree, please message me and I'll revert it.

For Kanto, I'd probably pick:

Arcanine for transportation on land, Pidgeot for in air and Gyarados in water. Sandslash would be good to have if you need to cut or dig, Victreebel has vines and spores that can be useful, and Gengar is probably super nifty for scaring away stuff that bothers you or at least make you feel less insecure in the shadows. Since you know that your friend is part of the shadows, watching over you :3

Apart from the three transportation pokémon (something to ride, something to fly on and something that keeps you reasonably dry if you sit on top of it in water), I'd say it's much personal preference what you want to pick for the last three. One might want to have a psychic pokémon like Alakazam instead of a ghost, and maybe a rock or fighting type instead of a ground type like I chose. Some cutting power is good though, I'd say :3 And I think a grass type (or bug type like Butterfree) with spores and vines is pretty standard too. Or it should be!

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    For me, it'd probably be Charizard, Exeggutor, Gengar, Lapras, Machamp, and Rhydon.

Charizard and Lapras are for air and water transport respectively. Exeggutor can provide some spores to deal with nasty foes. Gengar can, as Doctor said, watch over you in the shadows. The physical strength of Machamp and Rhydon really helps against big obstacles.

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2014
    Ya I wanted to look at the other regions too, I just thought we could look at them individually so we could incorporate more Pokémon. But I'm cool with whatever.
    My picks are similar to yours Doctor, I just have Alakazam, Chansey (for first aid purposes), Lapras, and Machamp.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Yeah, we can look at them individually, like only have pokémon found in Johto for your Johto team and pokémon living in Sinnoh for your Sinnoh team, obviously. I just feel it would seem a bit weird to have six threads asking the same thing but for different regions, when you can melt them all together rather nicely in a pot of one thread :3 If people seem to only want to answer for Kanto though, or if it gets messy, we can do it in different threads I suppose.

EDIT: people keep replying for Kanto so let's keep it that way then ;)

Last edited:

RoreyG

Lizardon Man
    Years
  • Most useful 6 Pokemon Team for Traveling Kanto

Charizard for Air Travel and to Light Fires for warmth, cooking, ect. (he's my favorite Pokemon too so that's a plus).
    Lapras for Sea Travel (she's called the transport Pokemon and was essentially meant for this purpose) and to also Supply Water for all the necessary purposes (like cooking, bathing or even to drink).
    Tauros for Land Travel and some Muscle in terms of knocking trees to get fruits and other food items.
    Rhydon for Dig purposes, Climbing Mountains and Moving Boulders and other Obstacles form our path.
    Jolteon to Supply Power for my electrical devices (both recreational and necessary for survival) and to also Zap and Catch fish and small animals for food.
    Gengar to Guard you in the Shadows and to Provide Illusions or Distractions for you to Escape Powerful Threats.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I'm going to lean towards basing this off traveling rather than traveling and a good team because honestly I'd be in it for soley the travel anyway hehe :)

Fearow - Obvious use for flying. Plus it's my second favorite bird of the region. Dodrio being my first, but in real life I would imagine it couldn't fly.

Rapidash - Perfect for just some normal terrain travel + a fire source. Also known to be fast and I prefer it 1000x over Arcanine

Onix - For any kind of really rugged mountain travel. I really would want a bigger Pokemon for this because I would imagine the worst obstacles would be encountered on a mountain and I could just use Onix to plow through it or over it etcetcetc.

Tentacruel/Gyarados - So my initial choice would be Tentacruel for any kind of water travel, but in real life idk if you could use it in a freshwater enviroment so my runner up choice would be Gyarados. Also the obvious water supply.

Jolteon - Source of electricity

Venusaur - I'd prefer Victreebel, but I imagine Venusaur would be better suited for moving things with vine whip/stronger razor leaf for chopping up whatever may be in my way. Also being a grass type usually has some kind of healing benefit that I could use.

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2023
    Steelix becuase it can go through just about anything. Blastoise for moving and breaking things around with his hydrocannons. Gyardos for traveling across the ocean Charizard so I would have a really good fire source as well as flying source. I would last have togepi why? because it would be fiund to have one :p

but If I were to decide on y favorite Kanto Pokemon I would say it would be Gengar, Steelix, Charizard, Blastoise, and Golem.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2014
    Most useful 6 Pokemon Team for Traveling Kanto Most useful 6 Pokemon Team for Traveling Kanto

When I think of the pokemon world in real life I can't help but think of it as a more brutal world than it's been portrayed as in the anime, I am leaning more towards the mangas perspective but stil not "real" enough, if you know what I mean. Therefore in order to travel around Kanto, and go on a journey to the most dangerous place you need a tough team of pokemon.
    Charizard: Fire is always usefull whether it is to cook or alight a fire to keep yourself warm at night, not to mention that it's usefull for it's ability to fly around.
    Gyarados: My favorite pokemon and an all around beast, and if you for some reason am unable to to travel by air it can provide safe passage.
    Machamp: An extremly helpfull pokemon, with its humanlike bodystructure (except for its extra arms) It can pretty much do everything yiu can and then some.
    Alazakam: Havero go somewhere but don't got time. Teleport. Need telekinesis. Alazakam is there.
    Rhydorn: A perfect pokemon to travel in the mountains.
    Dragonite: Once again an allaround beastly pokemon, with access to electric moves I have no need for a electric type as others, and with its dragon typing most types don't effect it.

Years
  • It's interesting to see that there are many similar choices for people, though that probably speaks to how useful the Pokemon would be outside of battle, too.

- My favorite Pokemon, and very useful when it comes to things like Poison Powder, Sleep Powder and Stun Spore.
    - Acts as both a source of heat/fire, and as one of the best modes of transportation across the land.
    - Arguably the smartest Pokemon of all, I could see Alakazam being very useful. Being able to teleport is a big bonus, too.
    - Was originally going to pick Onix, but Rhydon being able to learn Surf sealed the deal. Also one of the most useful Pokemon in rocky terrain.
    - Chansey are pretty skilled when it comes to first aid, and also lay their nutritious eggs, which would come in handy in a pinch.
    - Okay, using a legendary Pokemon might be cheating, but I kill two birds with one stone (pardon the pun) in having both an Electric and Flying Pokemon.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
    Years
    • Seen Dec 25, 2016
    My actual in game team could use every HM. This was before I started using HM slaves. My team was:

Alakazam - Flash, could also know Teleport
    Blastoise - Surf
    Charizard - Fly
    Venusaur - Cut
    Machamp - Strength
    Dragonite

To note, I picked Dragonite to keep with the 3 stage evolution and was a Pokémon that could learn Thunderbolt. Dragonite would provide my electricity.

In a real life scenario I would want to use favorites though. Ditto is my favorite and would probably be stupidly helpful in almost every situation. Whatever area you're in, you have whatever is there.

I assume we are talking about a Kanto where Missingno doesn't exist. If it did I would catch it, teach it all the HM, then level it and evolve it like I did in game. It evolves into Kangaskhan, which of course, upon evolution still knows Fly, Surf, Cut, Strength.

Other favorites are Nidoking and Nidoqueen. My real life team would probably look a lot different than In Game.

Back