• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Move Animations from Pokemon Reborn/Rejuvenation

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    Can I just ask about 2 turn moves? Most of the animations are great but the 2 turn moves (if a Pokémon disappears in turn one) both of the sprites disappear? I read on another thread this was to do with the way the moves are set up in Reborn's script but I'm not really sure?

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Can I just ask about 2 turn moves? Most of the animations are great but the 2 turn moves (if a Pokémon disappears in turn one) both of the sprites disappear? I read on another thread this was to do with the way the moves are set up in Reborn's script but I'm not really sure?

What do you mean, both sprites disappear? I don't have this...
    However, Reborn had its own scripting that does not match the current animation numbering conventions.
    Unfortunately, you'll have to solve this issue yourself.

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    It's the weirdest thing so with Phantom Force for example on turn 1 it'll say "(Pokémon) vanished!" But then both user and target sprites will disappear and then return once turn 2 of the move is executed.. this happens if I'm using it or I'm battling a Pokémon that uses it on me

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    It's the weirdest thing so with Phantom Force for example on turn 1 it'll say "(Pokémon) vanished!" But then both user and target sprites will disappear and then return once turn 2 of the move is executed.. this happens if I'm using it or I'm battling a Pokémon that uses it on me

Ok, I see I have the same issue with Phantom Force, Shadow Force, and Dig. Fly triggers the wrong charging animation too. I was right: Reborn doesn't use the same naming conventions than the current version of Essentials. This is unfortunate.
    You have to manually check every two-turn moves, add the charging animation below the attacking animation, and modify the charging animation so that it doesn't make the opponent disappear.
    I'm adding this to my Gen 8 move animations project's TODO-list though. So if you're patient, you'll never have to work on this.

What actually surprises me, is that the animations leave the Pokémon invisible even when it's done, which I thought it wouldn't.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    Thanks for this, glad it's not just me. I did have a quick look at the animation the other day because I wondered if it was something I could fix manually but I didn't really know what I was doing? Do you by any chance know of any tutorials to do with the animation editor?

StCooler

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    Thanks for this, glad it's not just me. I did have a quick look at the animation the other day because I wondered if it was something I could fix manually but I didn't really know what I was doing? Do you by any chance know of any tutorials to do with the animation editor?

The only tutorial that I know is the one from the Docs. Be aware that the tool is very rigid. I think it took me a few weeks to actually know what I was doing ^^"

For the vanishing of both Pokémons, here is the process:
    • Click on the "List of Animations" in the left-hand, bottom corner of the screen.
    • In the list, find the animation called "Common:Shadow Force charging" and load it. If you don't find it, it's number 517 in the list of animations. You can scroll faster by pressing "Page Up" or "Page Down".
    • As you can see, it is right below Move:PHANTOMFORCE, which means it is the charging animation for Phantom Force.
    • With the animation loaded, see again the left-hand bottom square. The first line shows the frame number of the frame you are seeing. Each animation is a succession of frames. Click on the right ">>" symbols and go to the last frame (should be frame 10).
      As you can see, both Pikachu and Charizard disappear progressively. Pikachu plays the role of the user of the move, and Charizard plays the role of the target; so Charizard should not disappear. Let's make sure only Pikachu disappears.
    • In the last frame, you should see a white square with number 1, where Charizard used to be. In fact, Charizard is still here, but its opacity was set to 0 (meaning, it is fully transparent). Click inside the square; its border should become black to show you that it's selected.
    • Then, right click on it, and choose "Properties".
    • You have around dozen lines with different cursors. Find the line "Opacity", and set its value to maximum (max is 255).
    • Validate with "OK".
    • Now, on the right-hand panel, there are a few buttons; click on "Tweening".
      Tweening is a tool that allows you to make a smooth progression in the attributs of the sprites (pattern, position, zoom, etc.). It needs a starting position, and an ending position.
    • You should see four lines (Starting Frame / Ending Frame / First Cel / Last Cel), but here, we don't need to change any of this.
    • Below, you see three check boxes. Click on the one of Opacity/Blending, and click OK.
    • What this did is: Charizard is sprite 1, it has opacity 255 in frame 1, and opactity used to be 0 in frame 10. Then you set its opacity back to 255 by following this guide. Then, Tweening made it smoothly progress from 255 to 255... Meaning it canceled its disappearance!
    • Then click Escape, and when it asks whether you want to save, say Yes, and if you want to quit the editor, say Yes too.

Voila!

Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2021
    This worked like an absolute charm thank you so much! (Is it the same for fly/dig etc or does that require a bit more effort/slow fading out of sprites to be replaced with the fly ball animation?)

Last edited:
    Back