• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokémon should or shouldn't have

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    I'm still confused about Skuntank learning Flamethrower. It's a skunk but why?
    It's not that weird. You only have to have the imagination to think of a way for it to be possible. Lets say, Skuntank can learn Acid Spray, which basically means it spits out a poisonous fluid that 'works to melt the target'. It should be perfectly possible Skuntank is able to add some extra fluid or whatever else to it, to make it a flame? I don't know, it sounded a lot more logical in my head. It's basically like Numel, that Pokémon is a walking volcano for goodness' sake. Skuntank may look like a skunk, but there's no telling what it uses to and how it functions.

Another Surf issue here. Carvanha and Sharpedo are able to learn Surf, but they also have the ability Rough Skin. Add to that, that Sharpedo swims at 75 mph, its fangs rip through steel and it's known as 'The Bully of the Sea'. I am so not jumping to surf on a Sharpedo.

Archenoth

(cozy)
    Years
  • So many Pokemon I wish could learn fly... Scyther is a good example. Why can't you fly me places? ;_;

Relevant:
    Spoiler:

Or Tauros knowing Surf... What?

Another relevant comic:
    Spoiler:

Years
  • I've always Butterfree should have been able to learn fly because you'd see it carrying Pokémon and Ash even in the anime, so that was only logical to me haha. I guess it makes sense that it doesnt get it but still.

None of the Bug/Flying-type Pokemon learn Fly. The only Bug-types that learn it are two Unova Bug-types - Genesect and Volcarona.

Years
  • I wish you could teachGliscor Fly, I'd love to use one as my main Flying type. Also in general the Eevee line should learn better moves, as far as I'm concerned Vaporeon is really the only one worth using in battle, which is a shame.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I understand how Chinchou/Lanturn can learn Signal Beam, but I still find it very unusual. (Not 'bad' unusual. If I ever have a Lanturn in a team, Signal Beam is a great move to have against Grass critters.)

Years
  • I understand how Chinchou/Lanturn can learn Signal Beam, but I still find it very unusual. (Not 'bad' unusual. If I ever have a Lanturn in a team, Signal Beam is a great move to have against Grass critters.)

That one is very interesting...

Also, I don't get how Cinccino learns Bullet Seed and Rock Blast. I know they are excellent for abusing Technician but I don't get why it learns those moves, particularly Rock Blast.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2012
    Like some of you guys mentioned, I think Hydregion should be able to learn Dark Pulse by level up. I also think he should be able to learn Night Daze by level up. Those two are the coolest dark type moves in my opinion. One that has always baffled me was Eelektross being able to learn flamethrower.

Other moves that baffle me:
    Hydregion - Surf
    Emboar - Scald
    Arcanine/Charizard/Ninetales - Solarbeam
    Golurk - Fly
    Any non-ghost pokemon learning ghost type moves
    Gengar - does not learn any poison type moves from leveling up

Last edited:

TheFallenUmbreon

Dreams shall never fall...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    :D Many people think that Groudon is a Fire-Type, instead of Ground. That's why I was supprised that it could learn Solarbeam...also quite useful when battling these opponents that don't know.
    I also feel strange that Gardevior and Kadabra can learn Thunder O_O and Rayquaza knows Icebeam...

Doa

Analyzer
    Years
  • The Machop lineup gets Flamethrower and Fire Blast, I believe. It's pretty neat, but I do not understand how it works.

Musica

PPPPPDPPPPP
    Years
  • The Machop lineup gets Flamethrower and Fire Blast, I believe. It's pretty neat, but I do not understand how it works.

With all the heat from those muscle contractions?

Flareon and Entei should have decent Physical Fire-type moves. The best they could have is Fire Fang, with the exception of the past Shiny Dogs event where Entei learned Flare Blitz. I think that both should be able to learn Flare Blitz through level-up or Move Tutor. They have good Special Attack base stats, but their Physical Attack base stats are something to be feared with proper moves.

:D Many people think that Groudon is a Fire-Type, instead of Ground. That's why I was supprised that it could learn Solarbeam...also quite useful when battling these opponents that don't know.
    I also feel strange that Gardevior and Kadabra can learn Thunder O_O and Rayquaza knows Icebeam...

Groudon came from the magma and I think it was a bit of balancing made by Nintendo or GameFreak that they made Groudon a mono-type Pokemon. I couldn't think of something else for Kyogre (Ice/Water? Nah). Fire-typed Pokemons also learn Solarbeam (I'm not sure if most of them or just a few). I'm also pretty sure that the Abra line of evolution can't learn Thunder, just T-Wave and T-Punch; Ralts' line of evolution can learn T-bolt, but not Thunder.

Last edited:

bewbs

~Chloe~
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    I've always Butterfree should have been able to learn fly because you'd see it carrying Pokémon and Ash even in the anime, so that was only logical to me haha. I guess it makes sense that it doesnt get it but still.

The game and anime have different logic it seems.

Meganium can learn earthquake, which is amazing. I'd have never thought of it.

Years
  • Another confusing one is Blissey learning all these physical attacks yet her Attack stat is so low. I mean, she learns Rock Slide, Earthquake, Brick Break, Rock Smash, Strength, Wild Charge and Bulldoze.

Her special attacks are unusual as well, she can learn Shadow Ball, Psychic, SolarBeam and even Focus Blast. Also, as is common with Normal-types she gets Thunder/Fire Blast/Blizzard and Thunderbolt/Flamethrower/Ice Beam.

She definitely has one of the weirdest movepools IMO.

Audino has a similar movepool yet its Attack/Sp. Attack stats are much higher than Blissey's. However, Audino gets Surf in its movepool for some reason, don't know how it got Surf.

WasSollDas

Fighting / Psychic ROOLZ!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2016
    I think Mew and Smeargle owns it all.

Smeargle using Dragon Rage......Not sth u would see every day.

Back