• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moves Pokemon in one gen but not the other?

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    So I've been trying to figure out some moves that pokemon can learn in one gen but not the next gen. Or one game and not the next. For example: skitty can learn payday in Pokemon Box Ruby and Sapphire but not in any other game. And you can transfer that pokemon to the current gen games and use it. That's what I'm looking for. Anyone have any ideas?

Years
  • I think it's the same deal with Mega Salamence and Refresh. Before that thing got banned, people mentioned that its most notable set was something like DD/Refresh/Return/Roost, and I was wondering where does it even get Refresh? And then I found out through purification in XD: Gale of Darkness. That's it. And to get a Salamence with perfect IVs from that would be insanely impractical. Just to name one.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Gen 2 Nidoking and Lovely Kiss. Dear lord. And just when you thought GSC Nidoking was already dangerous enough on its own...

Actually, I was quite surprised that a Nidoran-M can actually learn Lovely Kiss, which is the last thing I suspect it can do which turns into a dangerous beast you call Lovely Kiss Nidoking after it grows up. Then again, that lovely kiss is an event exclusive move and I don't even know what events were those...

Last edited:

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
    Years
  • I think the reason some Pokemon learn special moves they wouldn't know is because they were taught by a move tutor you didn't have access to. Skitty likes to play with things so it's no surprise it would be able to throw coins at an enemy. But then again if it worked like that then wouldn't it be able to learn it through breeding too? Eh it's confusing and maybe it solely exists just to make the Pokemon special. The fact that most of these Pokemon with special moves are Shadow Pokemon only add to that conclusion.

Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2017
    Well there is starmie learning attract and lapras learning solarbeam in gen 1 but not in gen 2 i'm assuming

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    I think it's the same deal with Mega Salamence and Refresh. Before that thing got banned, people mentioned that its most notable set was something like DD/Refresh/Return/Roost, and I was wondering where does it even get Refresh? And then I found out through purification in XD: Gale of Darkness. That's it. And to get a Salamence with perfect IVs from that would be insanely impractical. Just to name one.

This is legit the best thing i have ever read. By banned do you mean Smogon banned or you can't use it online in any way?

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Well there is starmie learning attract and lapras learning solarbeam in gen 1 but not in gen 2 i'm assuming

Lapras learning Solarbeam...why did they get rid of that after Gen I? Or maybe the better question would be to ask why it was even possible in Gen I...

Sebastian_Sommer

Rocket grunt
    Years
  • Speaking about special moves, soft boil was available as a tutor move in emerald for Clefairy, Togepi and Chansey's family. Clefairy in particular can get tri-attack in gen 1 through TM49 and Togepi can learn the same move through pokemon XD after being purified.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • There's also Kabuto and Kabutops being able to learn Hydro Pump in Gen I by level-up, but they lost access to it in Gen II onwards. Also a bit less relevant, but: Groudon losing Slash in HG/SS onward.

Back