• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Gengar is generally the best Ghost Pokemon to use because of its good Special Attack and Speed. Though its stats may not seem like the part for utility sets, given Gengar's frailty, it does pull them off pretty well, since it forces switches a lot. Here are the common sets it runs:
    -Shadow Ball
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb
    -Focus Blast
    -Destiny Bond/Taunt/Substitute
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Life Orb/Focus Sash/Black Sludge

or
    -Substitute
    -Shadow Ball
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Taunt/Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave/Disable
    EVs: 28 HP/148 SAtk/80 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

or
    -Hex
    -Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Sludge Wave/Sludge Bomb/Substitute
    EVs: 8 HP/248 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Black Sludge

The other good Ghost Pokemon to use are Aegislash (only if you play Ubers or in just for fun matches), Giratina (both forms, Ubers only) Mega Sableye, Chandelure and Cofagrigus.

Ok, so do you think Gengar is the best non-legendary Ghost type pokemon? Even better than Dusknoir? Thank you! :)

Years
  • If you want a pokemon to be as slow as possible, but have 4 IVs, is it better to have a pokemon with relatively superior potential and those 4 IVs or outstanding with the 4 IVs? I'm still having a little difficulty understanding what the potential rankings meaning for the stats that aren't mentioned by the judge.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you want a pokemon to be as slow as possible, but have 4 IVs, is it better to have a pokemon with relatively superior potential and those 4 IVs or outstanding with the 4 IVs? I'm still having a little difficulty understanding what the potential rankings meaning for the stats that aren't mentioned by the judge.
    Either of these don't really matter if the sixth stat doesn't benefit your Pokemon in any way (Attack for special attackers and Special Attack for physical attackers).

For reference, "relatively superior" means the Pokemon's IV total is 121-150; "outstanding" is for an IV range of 151-186.

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Anyone have suggestions for a mixed Flareon? It's speed is awful so I'm not even going to waste the 63 points that can be used in a much better stat (SP Att, or even SP Def) (cause seriously, how many websites say Victreebell or Hypno have terrible speed yet those same sites suggest investing maxed EVs into Flareon's even lower speed stat? come on!) so mixed Flareon is what I'm thinking about, also because it's move pool is so terribly limited I also thought using special moves might help alleviate that, although those 63 points could go into it's very good Sp Def as well. I'm currently breeding 5IV Eevees so I don't really want to get into specific Hidden Power breeding, although because I'm ignoring speed I could get a hidden power Ice type so I was considering that. Anyway, the thing I roughly have is:

Brave nature
    Ability: Flash Fire
    Item: I have no idea, MAYBE Weakness Policy if I go mixed, possibly Zoom Lens if I have a second low accuracy move, I really don't know.)
    Wish
    Hidden Power Ice (maybe, I dunno. Possibly Facade)
    Iron Tail
    Flare Blitz

In any case, I would like opinions, options that sort of thing. As I said, I really doubt I would waste EV training speed because it's already so terribly slow that I would just be throwing away Evs on a stat that it is just going to get outsped by anything and everything anyway so I might as well, at worst, use those Evs to bolster it's Sp Def so it can withstand an attack, but if it had a better move pool this would be so much easier. I initially though of breeding Natural Gift in order to get one of those berries that will give it a Grass Typing, but I don't know if that move would have been worthwhile. I'm just absolutely lost on Flareon and I have posted this same question on numerous sites and Facebook groups cause I literally have no idea what to do with it. Thanks for any advice!

Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2017
    Anyone have suggestions for a mixed Flareon? It's speed is awful so I'm not even going to waste the 63 points that can be used in a much better stat (SP Att, or even SP Def) (cause seriously, how many websites say Victreebell or Hypno have terrible speed yet those same sites suggest investing maxed EVs into Flareon's even lower speed stat? come on!) so mixed Flareon is what I'm thinking about, also because it's move pool is so terribly limited I also thought using special moves might help alleviate that, although those 63 points could go into it's very good Sp Def as well. I'm currently breeding 5IV Eevees so I don't really want to get into specific Hidden Power breeding, although because I'm ignoring speed I could get a hidden power Ice type so I was considering that. Anyway, the thing I roughly have is:

Brave nature
    Item: I have no idea, MAYBE Weakness Policy if I go mixed, possibly Zoom Lens if I have a second low accuracy move, I really don't know.)
    Wish
    Iron Tail
    Flare Blitz

In any case, I would like opinions, options that sort of thing. As I said, I really doubt I would waste EV training speed because it's already so terribly slow that I would just be throwing away Evs on a stat that it is just going to get outsped by anything and everything anyway so I might as well, at worst, use those Evs to bolster it's Sp Def so it can withstand an attack, but if it had a better move pool this would be so much easier. I initially though of breeding Natural Gift in order to get one of those berries that will give it a Grass Typing, but I don't know if that move would have been worthwhile. I'm just absolutely lost on Flareon and I have posted this same question on numerous sites and Facebook groups cause I literally have no idea what to do with it. Thanks for any advice!

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Anyone have suggestions for a mixed Flareon? It's speed is awful so I'm not even going to waste the 63 points that can be used in a much better stat (SP Att, or even SP Def) (cause seriously, how many websites say Victreebell or Hypno have terrible speed yet those same sites suggest investing maxed EVs into Flareon's even lower speed stat? come on!) so mixed Flareon is what I'm thinking about, also because it's move pool is so terribly limited I also thought using special moves might help alleviate that, although those 63 points could go into it's very good Sp Def as well. I'm currently breeding 5IV Eevees so I don't really want to get into specific Hidden Power breeding, although because I'm ignoring speed I could get a hidden power Ice type so I was considering that. Anyway, the thing I roughly have is:

Brave nature
    Wish
    Iron Tail
    Flare Blitz

I don't think mixed Flareon is worth it; it already hits hard with 130 Attack. Even then, Brave Flareon could work well in Trick Room. Also, some slow Pokemon invest in Speed on purpose to speed-creep certain threats:
    -Flare Blitz
    -Superpower
    -Quick Attack
    -Baton Pass/Double-Edge
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 SDef
    Item: Choice Band/Life Orb

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    For a Moxie Krookodile, do you think that Fire Fang/Thunder Fang would be good for it (in addition to Earthquake/Knock Off/Pursuit), or should I just stick with Stone Edge?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ok, so is Gengar the best non-legendary Ghost type pokemon? Even better than Dusknoir? Thank you!

Yes, Gengar is the best non-legendary Ghost.

Here's why Dusknoir falls short:
    -it lacks a strong physical Ghost STAB (Shadow Punch isn't that strong unless it's being used by Iron Fist Golurk)
    -low HP somewhat undermines its good defenses
    -Dusclops outclasses it (ironically) because of its better Eviolite-boosted bulk

SnowpointQuincy

Seeker of FRIEND CODES
    Years
  • I have an Adamant Slurpuff - Thinking of a Belly-Drum set. How much Speed do I need, How little can I get away with?

I play Wi-Fi Battle Spot and do mostly doubles now.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I have an Adamant Slurpuff - Thinking of a Belly-Drum set. How much Speed do I need, How little can I get away with?

I play Wi-Fi Battle Spot and do mostly doubles now.

Slurpuff is the kind of Pokemon that functions best in singles:
    -Belly Drum
    -Play Rough
    -Drain Punch
    -Return/Substitute
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 52 HP/252 Atk/204 Spe
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    Ability: Unburden

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Yes, Gengar is the best non-legendary Ghost.

Here's why Dusknoir falls short:
    -it lacks a strong physical Ghost STAB (Shadow Punch isn't that strong unless it's being used by Iron Fist Golurk)
    -low HP somewhat undermines its good defenses
    -Dusclops outclasses it (ironically) because of its better Eviolite-boosted bulk

I understand. Also, you had timid as the nature for Gengar in a prior post, so is that the best nature for Gengar? Why is that so? Thank you!

Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2016
    Which pokemon is the better water type pokemon? Kingdra, Lapras, or Gyarados? I was told that Gyarados has the better moveset of the three, is this true? Thank you!

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    Which pokemon is the better water type pokemon? Kingdra, Lapras, or Gyarados? I was told that Gyarados has the better moveset of the three, is this true? Thank you!

If you're playing OU, Lapras is a poor choice, but feel free to experiment.

In between Gyarados and Kingdra though, it depends on what your team's focus is. Gyarados is physically oriented whilst Kingdra can do both physical and special. Kingdra excels in abusing rain, so if you're using a rain team you should go for that.

Death

The Pale Horseman
    Years
  • What's a good moveset for regular Manectric that does not use Hidden Power? And one that uses HP?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2016
    Froslass Help Please

Hey PC. So I'm having trouble. I've caught a whole bunch of female Snorunts in Shoal Cave but I'm having trouble figuring out which nature to use. I'd like to option to use her competitively if I wanted too so can somebody give me advice on the nature please?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Hey PC. So I'm having trouble. I've caught a whole bunch of female Snorunts in Shoal Cave but I'm having trouble figuring out which nature to use. I'd like to option to use her competitively if I wanted too so can somebody give me advice on the nature please?

Froslass generally uses a Timid nature to make the most out of its good Speed. Here's what it commonly runs:
    -Spikes
    -Taunt
    -Destiny Bond
    -Ice Beam
    EVs: 252 SAtk/4 SDef/252 Spe
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Cursed Body

Mega Glalie, on the other hand, uses a Jolly, Adamant, Naughty or Naive nature; it all depends on whether or not it's using Freeze-Dry:
    -Return
    -Earthquake
    -Explosion
    -Freeze-Dry/Ice Shard
    Nature: Naive/Naughty/Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Glalitite
    Ability: Inner Focus

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back