• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Movie/Video Game Languages

buttlet32

Buttlet
Years
  • In this home we call Earth there have been many made-up languages. There is the Dragon Language in Skyrim and Black Speech in LOTR and Hobbit. I personally have my sights set on learning the Dragon language, which can be accomplished by following the information and exercises on this website: https://www.thuum.org/learn/. Are there any made-up languages from movies, tv shows, or video games that you want to learn or have already learned? You don't have to fully understand the language to tell us about it. If this thread becomes popular, I may even place links to websites that would help you to learn your desired language. Of course, you'll have to provide the link yourself as I can't do this alone. So what are your thoughts?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'd probably rather learn a real language spoken by more people, but I always found elvish in LotR to be very pretty. Especially how it's written~~

Log

It's your boy Guzma!
    Years
  • I also have an interest in learning Skyrim's Dovahzul, and I did try for awhile, but laziness and procrastination always gets the better of me, unfortunately. :P

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • One language that I have learned to speak comes from the Star Wars franchise. The language that I learned to speak is Mando'a, which is spoken by Mandalorians. Another language that I have learned to speak comes from the Mass Effect series. The language is called Khelish, which is spoken by the Quarian people.

Years
  • At one point I wanted to learn what existed of the Na'vi language from Avatar, I think mostly because I ended up buying that "activists survival guide" book that talked about various things from the movie, and finding out it was an actual constructed language interested me like nothing else at the time. Oh, I wished I could learn it.

Then I stopped being as interested in that movie's concepts, and me learning that language never happened. Oh well.

I wouldn't mind also learning Elvish or Klingon right now just to be able to say I could. I'm not even the biggest fan of either franchise, I just like languages.

Years
  • I'd probably rather learn a real language spoken by more people, but I always found elvish in LotR to be very pretty. Especially how it's written~~
    I have a book on those languages from several years ago. It was more like a small dictionary than a learning book, but it did have some chapters on the grammar and stuff and it was all pretty interesting. It even showed you how to write it.

But now I'd prefer something people speak like Esperanto even if not many people really speak it.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    I've watched Game of Thrones enough to have picked up a few words and phrases in Dothraki and the Valyrian languages, both of which I think are pretty cool. While I wouldn't go to the extent of actually learning how to speak them, it's always very impressive to me when entire languages complete with grammar, syntax, full vocabulary, etc. are actually constructed for fictional works. I mean, they could be speaking plain gibberish for all we know, but I can appreciate that they took the time to hire real linguists to put together fully functional languages. :D

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I think it's really cool how some of these languages have a real grammar system, but I would never try and learn it. I'd rather learn a language that I could potentially use every day :)

Back