• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

My personal thoughts: The older the season, the better & it's all going downhill

Are older or newer seasons generally better & is the anime getting better or worse?

• The older seasons are generally better

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • The newer seasons are generally better

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • The anime is getting worse and worse

Votes: 31 54.4%
  • The anime is getting better and better

Votes: 8 14.0%

• Total voters

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    *Forgot to put a neutral option there, like "The anime is not getting better nor worse". I would have to start a new thread then and I'm not going to do that, so you'll just have to post it in the thread. Sorry!*

These are my personal thoughts:

I no longer care about the anime, because it's dead to me. It died when they removed Brock from the anime and gave Ash a failed experimental eye surgery. Removing Misty wasn't a bright idea either. I also heard that Team Rocket got a personality change. It's all going downhill from here. The show should have ended after season 13 while it still had some dignity.

They should replace it with an anime based on the Pokémon Adventures manga.
    That's hardcore, unlike the current anime where Ash turns into a n00b whenever he steps into a new region and he never ages either. They could do so that one region = 1 year in the anime. Then he'd been 15 by now and the aging problem would be solved.

The older the season, the better:

Season 1 - the best | Misty FTW
    Season 2-5 - very good | Misty FTW
    Season 6 - good, but a little nooby | May is kinda cool, can't replace Misty though, but still cool
    Season 7-9 - good
    Season 10-11 - kinda watchable sometimes, very nooby | Dawn is kinda ok, but can't be compared with Misty or May.
    Season 12 - kinda watchable
    Season 13 - haven't watched
    Season 14+ - WTF?! No Brock and Ash has undergone special eye surgery?! Aint even going to bother watching.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2012
    The truth is that I've left the Anime altogether. I felt like it hit it's peak at the advanced generation season, in Hoenn. After that, Diamond and Pearl got boring (only the gym battles were worth watching) and Black and White... was not appealing at all. After the Hoenn series, the Anime grew worse progressively.

Mortalis

[css-div="background-color:#4e9dda;text-align:cent
    Years
  • I find the newer episodes to be poorly written. They just throw in some new Pokemon cameos every episode and expect a hearty reaction. They make up these random, elaborate schemes that they believe are witty and intelligent, but are just narrow story lines. It's unfortunate, but I'm no longer a fan of the anime.

As much as I love Ash, since he's a classic character, he needs to either actually age, be replaced by a new hero, or they should remake the anime like stated above. I'd love to see the Pokemon Adventures manga, or something similar.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
  • If anyone talks about the old and the new anime, then I would say it would be the same to me. Hasn't much at all changed but I think there still needs some more good action in it.

Gonshiro

Zeon Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Years
  • I never really got into the anime too much, but I did watch it on occasion up until the Orange Islands. Around that time I practically stopped watching, but I have read a lot of complaints from fans about this.

Anyways, I read this article and thought it fit, so I hope it's allowed.

Warning - Don't let this ruin your childhood.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I'm neutral to all this. If the option was on there, I would've voted on that. I don't think one Pokemon season is better than the other (they're the same storyline, basically with a few twists on their own), though I did have a few issues with the Johto saga (because of too many fillers).

Years
  • No, what really happened here is you outgrew the anime. The fact that you complain about Ash never aging is irrelevant. Does Bart Simpson age? Does Spongebob age? No. Its TV. Its fairly common for a certain character to not age in a TV show. Ash is an idiot at the beginning of every region because the beginning of a region is when there are new games, thus many new viewers.

Here's the truth: The anime has always been bad. Its a 30-minute advertisement for the games. You choose to believe that Misty and Brock were great because that's what you remember from your childhood, back when you didn't care if the anime was bad.

Years
  • The anime is really only as good as you perceive it. If you thought it was good, then it was good for you and vice versa. In that sense, nobody can truly say the anime was bad for everyone.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 29, 2013
    I'm personally quite enjoying the Rival Destinies series so far, granted I still dislike Iris intensely, but I like Cilan and... I'm not really sure. It's better than some of the Diamond & Pearl episodes, anyway D: some of those got seriously boring.

No, what really happened here is you outgrew the anime. The fact that you complain about Ash never aging is irrelevant. Does Bart Simpson age? Does Spongebob age? No. Its TV. Its fairly common for a certain character to not age in a TV show. Ash is an idiot at the beginning of every region because the beginning of a region is when there are new games, thus many new viewers.

Here's the truth: The anime has always been bad. Its a 30-minute advertisement for the games. You choose to believe that Misty and Brock were great because that's what you remember from your childhood, back when you didn't care if the anime was bad.
    I agree with this. I mean, if asked, I probably would say I preferred the episodes with Misty and Brock in them (and the Orange Islands ones, too), but it probably is just because that's just what I remember from my childhood. If someone my age was to start watching the original series now, they may well think it's terrible just like lots of long-term Pokéfans think the new ones are terrible.

So, in conclusion, I don't really think the anime is getting worse or better. I think it's probably staying just about the same. Which may be a point for criticism, but not necessarily here.

Years
  • The older episodes have certain aspects going for them such as originality, comedy, and of course nostalgia. I felt that things really took a turn for the worse with Johto. That's when the anime became rather monotonous with loads of filler and just plain uninteresting episodes. In my eyes the anime has pretty much remained the same ever since quality-wise, but it still heats up during events such as tournaments, contests (If you're into that sort of thing), etc. The Battle Frontier is probably my favorite arc yet. Ash, his Pokemon, and his foes felt powerful, the battles were great, and the show moved at a rather fast pace.

However, the anime has vastly improved in certain areas over time. Animation is a given (Even though it's still pretty "meh"), but I personally think that battles are way better choreographed nowadays and just more interesting. Compare the Sinnoh League to any league yet and you'd probably see what I mean. Sinnoh and Unova have also granted us a lot more reoccurring rivals as well. Team Rocket isn't in every single episode anymore either.

I'd have to say that the old Kanto adventures were a bit better (Mainly due to originality), but the newer episodes trump them in certain qualities. I sort of miss the comedy in the older episodes.

Last edited:
    Years
  • What the producers don't seem to get nowadays is that they need a balance. They need to of course, be pushing forward with new innovations, but they also need to take care to build fan loyalty and have something for everyone. That might mean reintroducing previous Pokemon and/or humans every now and then for a good period of time, or it might mean restoring the slapstick comedy many of us grew up with. Hopefully they are figuring that out with the next season and maybe they'll have it mastered in generation 6, who knows.

WildEagle

Call me, Your Royal Freshness
    Years
  • *Forgot to put a neutral option there, like "The anime is not getting better nor worse". I would have to start a new thread then and I'm not going to do that, so you'll just have to post it in the thread. Sorry!*

These are my personal thoughts:

I no longer care about the anime, because it's dead to me. It died when they removed Brock from the anime and gave Ash a failed experimental eye surgery. Removing Misty wasn't a bright idea either. I also heard that Team Rocket got a personality change. It's all going downhill from here. The show should have ended after season 13 while it still had some dignity.

They should replace it with an anime based on the Pokémon Adventures manga.
    That's hardcore, unlike the current anime where Ash turns into a n00b whenever he steps into a new region and he never ages either. They could do so that one region = 1 year in the anime. Then he'd been 15 by now and the aging problem would be solved.

The older the season, the better:

Season 1 - the best | Misty FTW
    Season 2-5 - very good | Misty FTW
    Season 6 - good, but a little nooby | May is kinda cool, can't replace Misty though, but still cool
    Season 7-9 - good
    Season 10-11 - kinda watchable sometimes, very nooby | Dawn is kinda ok, but can't be compared with Misty or May.
    Season 12 - kinda watchable
    Season 13 - haven't watched
    Season 14+ - WTF?! No Brock and Ash has undergone special eye surgery?! Aint even going to bother watching.

Kanto -The first season was pathetic in terms of Gym battles. Ash's badges was like handed to him. The only thing the first season had was its comedy. The battles are barely memorable. Team rocket barely got screen time beside the TR trio.

Johto - Johto pokemons were overshadowed by Kanto starters near the beginning. Then Pikachu hog the gym battles, and in the league? Charizard was the main star. Johto pokemons get shafted while Kanto pokemons dominates two leagues. The matches was far better than kanto though. Vs Gary and vs Harrison are up there for Ashes top matches.

Hoenn - Better pokemon handling, hoenn was given screen time and their own league. The BF comes along to show off Ash's reserve. Hoenn had nice 6 on 6 battles. The flaws was Hoenn turned stale because it was the same 6 pokemon over and over again. This was fix in Battle Frontier. Max was annoying. They screwed up Magma vs Aqua. Only 2 parts? Then there's Lance hogging screen time from Magma and Aqua -.-"

Sinnoh - Kinda watchable? Sinnoh trashes Kanto in every way besides the funny moments. Gym Battle, Character development, Rival Development, Pokemon Development. THE POKEMON LEAGUE.

Gym battle was top notch - Ash's pokemon was able to shine during the gym battles and show off their strength.
    Character development - they finally developed Ash into a trainer that's used everything that he learn through his journey and his rivals. Ash started using the field to his advantage & his switches his pokemon for type advantage.
    Pokemon development - Infernape bar none is Ash most develop pokemon. Yes more than Charizard. That monkey had a back story that ties Ash to his rival. The monkey even went super saiyan against Paul. Torterra had a good development, till they focused on the monkey and same with the rest of the of his Pokemon.
    Rival development - It's arguable but Paul is Ash greatest rival. The two is like opposite and it was exploited and gave us one hell of a rivalry. From the battle at Lake Acuity where Ash got trash into Infernape evolving in front of Paul into one of Ash's greatest league match. Gary might be his childhood rival but it was so under develop that one league match kinda made us wanting for more. Paul and Ash rivalry had a great start and great ending.
    Pokemon League - Old pokemons coming back for nostalgia fans? Check. Cyndiquil evolve? Check. 6 on 6 with Paul? Check. Gible starred a battle? Check. The only thing that was horrible was Takuto pulling Latios out of his butt.
    Evil Team - OMG you mean Team Galactic didn't get shafted like TR did during Kanto?

Yes, Sinnoh saga does have flaws, the comedy was turn down. The brock flirting with girls was stale. Dawn and Brock barely had interaction beside Dawn asking Brock about certain pokemons. Brock was so stale, you barely notice him unless he speaks. Ash's other pokemons got shafted near the league for Infernape. The league was good until Takuto sent out Latios LOL. What does he was next? Mewtwo? TORTERRA NEEDS JUSTICE. JUSTICE.

Unova - Then it's your lost. Your missing out on great stuff BW series has been giving us. They gave us vintage Ash that every Nostalgia fans want, he turn his hat around, he reverted back to "kanto ash" in terms of battling. "OH NOEZ no Brock, series teh suckzorr". Brock was so stale during Sinnoh that it was the time to retire him. The gym battle has been on par with Hoenn gym battles. Ash finally ROTATING his Pokemons. Hell this series broke Hoenn and Sinnoh traditions and gave Ash more than 6 Pokemons just like nostalgia fans wanted "CATCH MORE POKEMONZ"

While the series is good, it is flawed. Ash reverted back to his kanto/Johto self where he barely know crap. Ash's character development and growth during Sinnoh sage was thrown into the window. Trip is a copy of Paul LOL. Pikachu losing to Snivy. That cannot be justified. Even without electric attack, Pikachu has Iron Tail and Quick Attack to destroy a Snivy from Prof. Juniper's lab. Pikachu just tie with Latios then get complete raped by Snivy.

TL;DR
    Take off your nostalgia glasses. Kanto can barely hold Sinnoh Saga's shorts in term of Gym battles, Pokemon League, and Rival Development. Kanto ranks about everything when in terms of comedy and Ash's bloopers. Kanto is the worst series in terms of battling (gym and the league) Kanto barely gave us any memorable besides Magmar vs Charizard & Kingler LOLstomping this girl's team.

Last edited:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    This thread isn't anything new to me, we've seen opinions like these pass, but generally they're always the same. Your general argument is that,- well you don't even bring up much of an argument, just some comments on that you miss Misty and others can't replace her. 'Kinda Watchable' isn't an argument, it doesn't help your view at all, as it doesn't say what specifically is 'watchable.'

Honestly we've been stuck with the same formula for over 10 years now, I don't see how your argument from 'after season 13' is valid at all, it sounds like you've not even taken a proper look at Black and White and have formed opinions over stuff you've heard about it. First of all, Team Rocket have not received any personality change, they did however change costumes for a short period of time but arguably were just given more responsibly and took it seriously, which isn't out of character for them at all. Plus where is this stuff about 'eye surgery' coming from?

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013
    where is this stuff about 'eye surgery' coming from?

My personal thoughts: The older the season, the better & it's all going downhill

See any difference? Either eye surgery/transplantation or contact lenses, but I've never seen Ash take off or put on contact lenses so it's probably the first alternative.

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    See any difference? Either eye surgery/transplantation or contact lenses, but I've never seen Ash take off or put on contact lenses so it's probably the first alternative.
    It's just a simple animation change, if you've taken a look at at Japanese Opening, Symphonic Medley, there's a close up of Ash's face and his brown eyes. I don't see how an animation change supports your argument, in my opinion it just makes it more appealing to watch. :\

PokeAwesome94

Ace Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2013

It's just a simple animation change, if you've taken a look at at Japanese Opening, Symphonic Medley, there's a close up of Ash's face and his brown eyes. I don't see how an animation change supports your argument, in my opinion it just makes it more appealing to watch. :\

When Michael Jackson went from afro-american to caucasian everything just got weirder, the same goes for Ash's eye transplantation. This might not be much of an argument, but it's not the same Ash as before. The old Ash is dead now and we're stuck with the "plastic makes perfect" version.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2013
    When Michael Jackson went from afro-american to caucasian everything just got weirder, the same goes for Ash's eye transplantation. This might not be much of an argument, but it's not the same Ash as before. The old Ash is dead now and we're stuck with the "plastic makes perfect" version.

You're comparing real life to a change in a cartoon? The animation quality has greatly improved, even DBZ had some improvement throughout the series. I fail to see how them giving Ash more detailed eyes to allow him to fit in with the current cast is a bad thing.

The anime is no better or worse than it ever was. The only thing that makes the earlier seasons seem better is because they came first. If Best Wishes came first, you would think Kanto sucks.

I think it's important to remember that Pokemon is a video game franchise first. All the anime is pretty much for is for kids to see their favorite Pokemon animated so they'll want to buy the toys, cards and games. (That's how I got into the games and started collecting the figures and trading cards back in the day.)

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2016
    What is actually so good in the first seasons? the top 16? Top 8 in Johto? In sinnoh and Isshu he is much better. top 4, and i belive that top 2 in the Isshu league.

Misty? who cares. She should stay in her gym forever and never return.

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2014
    I never liked the anime but I prefer his voice now to what it sounded like back in the first few episodes, that voice was ****.

I can never look at Pokémon the same way again. It all made sense to me(except for the last bit where he talks about Oak putting him off life-support).

Last edited:
    Back