• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Natural Harmonia Gropius

blue

gucci
    Years
    A few months back N's name was revealed as "Natural Harmonia Gropius" Do you think this will be further explained or will it just remain his full name and not have anything to do with future games? Also feel free to discuss how you think it'll be explained and/or come up in discussion, or whether he'll be called his full name throughout both games.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cello

Tonight!
    Years
    W-wait, that's his REAL NAME?
    Well... if so, I guess it definitely is a possibility we could find out more very soon. I would love to see more information on N in the next installments.

*Snicker* GROPIUS.
    Spoiler:

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
    He is now a pervert in my mind. Hopefully they stick with N unless it calls for the full name

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    I think that the (full) name will take a role in B2/W2, but I don't think that they'll use it in battle at all. You're not gonna get "Pkmn Trainer Natural Harmonia Gropius wants to battle!" or anything like that. :P

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
    Everyone's already assuming there's not going to be a name change in English. I guarantee you that there will be a name change if his full name is mentioned in the English B2/W2.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
    Years
    • Age 8
    • +
    • Seen Sep 15, 2020
    Everyone's already assuming there's not going to be a name change in English. I guarantee you that there will be a name change if his full name is mentioned in the English B2/W2.
    Am I the only one hoping that N's full name stays the same? I actually really like it, and I don't want it to change.

I believe that they should give us a short background as to why he was given that name. That way it could be official to what his name in the game for the US is, and it would be pretty interesting to know about it as well.

Volcarona

then live beautifully until the end
    Years
    He just lost his mysteriousness when they nonchalantly revealed his (imo, dumb) full name. I don't think his real name will be explored in the sequels.

I do believe he will make an appearance. He probably released or lost control of his legendary, which then became devoured by a cute Kyurem. Think about it: if you played White, you caught Zekrom. White II has the Reshiram and Kyurem fusion. It's N's Reshiram, luls?

Either way... Payback. ^_^

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Just hearing such a long, unusual, and definitely not run of the mill name makes me want to find out more about how that name came to be. Honestly, I think the best chance of finding out is if the two caretaker ladies in N's Castle play a significant role this time around. I'm sure they have many interesting stories to tell, not only about his name but about his equally unusual upbringing.

I don't think they would use his full name in most normal dialogue with him, though. The "Gropius" part is probably gonna change for other markets, though. Parents are probably gonna take offense otherwise. But oh, the internet memes it would create...

The Author

The Hero of Knothole Glade
    Years
    I don't think they would use his full name in most normal dialogue with him, though. The "Gropius" part is probably gonna change for other markets, though. Parents are probably gonna take offense otherwise. But oh, the internet memes it would create...

Eheheh....
    Yeah....

Honestly, I don't think they're going to change the name. It'll always be Natural Harmonia Gropius. Forever. ;)

yousei

ƶεяᴓ
    Years
    I'm torn on whether I want "Gropius" to be changed into something more, err, appropriate. There will be memes-a-plenty if it doesn't, but...it's disturbing to know N has such a name.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    Honestly, I'm torn between wanting to have N's full name be in B2/W2 or not wanting it to be there because on one hand, players who don't know N's full name at this point may learn it at this game, but on the other hand, a lot of memes related to that name will pop up, as said above.

If they do include N's full name in B2/W2 I think it might be shortened to just "Natural" throughout the game (though he may introduce himself with his full name first).

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I don't think they'll bring it up anymore, he'll probably just be N still or maybe they'll do something RADICAL LIKE 'NATURAL' but not fullout I think. And it's a horrible name too so I wouldn't want that either.

vaporeon7

My life would suck without you
    Years
    I think they'll use N's full name a few select times in the game and also give us an explanation of its origin. But I still think N will be used most of the time because it's easier to read, and I doubt many of Unova's NPCs would know what his full name is.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    A few months back N's name was revealed as "Natural Harmonia Gropius" Do you think this will be further explained or will it just remain his full name and not have anything to do with future games? Also feel free to discuss how you think it'll be explained and/or come up in discussion, or whether he'll be called his full name throughout both games.

Admittedly, I chuckled quite a bit upon the revelation of N's real/true name. XD

I think it will explored a little more in B2W2; at the very least, it should be present in some in-game dialogue and/or text in B2W2. I would be really annoyed if I played Black/White wondering about the etymology of N's single-letter name, only to have his real name exclusively revealed in an offhand manner on the Internet in some random online blog posting that might be hard to find for some people if they aren't really keeping up-to-date with that sort of Pokemon news. Poor kids who don't have Internet access but want to learn more about the origins of N and his name... :(

I believe N's full name of "Natural Harmonia Gropius" will be referenced in some instances in B2W2, although he'll mostly be called "N" throughout the game, since arguably "N" is his most well-known name.

W-wait, that's his REAL NAME?
    Well... if so, I guess it definitely is a possibility we could find out more very soon. I would love to see more information on N in the next installments.

*Snicker* GROPIUS.
    Spoiler:

:cer_laugh: That first frame's face of N is hilarious. Though you can't really blame him, given the BW Ferris Wheel scene with Hilda, and Hilda having DAT A** in DEM JEAN SHORTS.

Am I the only one hoping that N's full name stays the same? I actually really like it, and I don't want it to change.

I believe that they should give us a short background as to why he was given that name. That way it could be official to what his name in the game for the US is, and it would be pretty interesting to know about it as well.

This. While I'm typically accepting of most English name changes, this is one case where I'm adamant about the English version keeping N's original name of Natural Harmonia Gropius as is. I personally think the name is very weird and doesn't seem as cool as a hidden name as I would've liked, but it's N's name and has the bonus of having interesting mathematical references such as "natural number" and "Bauhaus architect Walter Gropius".

And there comes a time where you just have to let some original terms get expressed uncensored. I mean, if Pokemon creator Satoshi Tajiri had been named Satoshi Gropius instead, would the translation team censor his name just to avoid disturbing some "widdle kiddies"? (I bet they'd probably opt for a surname initial; something like Satoshi G. -.- Also, no offense to the Tajiri intended; I'm just making a hypothetical example here). If I had to bear an unfortunate name like N and was a game designer/author in real life, I'd be annoyed if my name was censored in the credits by some translators. Kids are going to have to face the fact that Unfortunate Names exist aplenty in real-life, too, and the idea that something is an "Unfortunate Name" is subjective in itself. Some "Unfortunately-Named" people might even like their name and want to preserve it; who are we to deride it, or even censor/change it? -.-

Just hearing such a long, unusual, and definitely not run of the mill name makes me want to find out more about how that name came to be. Honestly, I think the best chance of finding out is if the two caretaker ladies in N's Castle play a significant role this time around. I'm sure they have many interesting stories to tell, not only about his name but about his equally unusual upbringing.

This, although I'm hoping the name is retained in English and does create Internet memes.

To be honest, they should just change 'Gropius' to Tropius and then have B2 and W2 in Hoenn! :)

Natural Harmonia Tropius? :cer_laugh: Hey, the translators might even use that as an option if they end up keeping the majority of N's name intact. That's probably my most preferred option if the name has to change, as it has a possible meaning of implying that N was treated like a "Pokemon" (aka, viewed/treated like an animal) by some people in his life. (No, I haven't played BW yet so I'm not familiar with N's family relationships; this is just an idea that came to mind).

I think they'll use N's full name a few select times in the game and also give us an explanation of its origin. But I still think N will be used most of the time because it's easier to read, and I doubt many of Unova's NPCs would know what his full name is.

And this. "Natural Harmonia Gropius" will probably be used selectively by Team Plasma members, Sages, the two lady caretakers; people of that nature who are familiar with the origin. Everybody else will probably just call N "N", since it's easier to remember, more well-known, and is much shorter/simpler to say.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    Gropius is a real name abit German...so they don't need to change it. The Japanese proably didn't pay attention to how it sounded to the english speaking audience...
    Anyways on topic: I do beleive that it'll play a role, at least the Natural Harmonia part seeing how Ghetsis mentioned N was unworthy of the name Harmonia...
    I just thought of something...his Middle name is Harmonia...that could be his mom's Maiden last name meaning she might've been Ghetsis' sister...making him N's Uncle...
    Why would they reveal a name and not use it? It seems like a waste if they don't use it.

Back