• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Never Hit a Girl"

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
Years
  • Okay then, what is the word you would use in place of where I used "equal".
    To put it another way; what would you say feminism advocates?

Feminism refers to movements aimed at establishing and defending equal political, economic, and social rights and equal opportunities for women.

Equal Rights and Equal Opportunities.

Not equality. Whoever started this fighting for equality misnomer thing needs to be slapped.

So what is the difference of you using the word equality in this context then?
    It would appear that I accidentally used a popular misnomer. How frustratingly ironic. However, it is different in that the misnomer was irrelevant to the point in that context. Replace equality with "equal rights and equal opportunity".

Last edited:

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020
    1. Never draw first blood, even with guys (unless they're armed and you're in a life-threatening situation)
    2. Only hit girls if it's life-threatening.
    3. Girls are weaker than guys, so they're allowed to slap you in the face. Brush it off.

Code

Stealcase
    Years
    • He/Him
    • Seen Apr 23, 2021
    Except around the house with my abusive sister, the situation has never come up. Although I would hit in self defense, but only when necessary. I have NEVER hit my sister, though. And she can be REALLY mean....a slap in the face would do her good, but I don't dare to do it. XD

MEGAS

Bestow5000 from YouTube
    Years
  • I wouldn't hit a girl, because if a male does hit a female, not counting as a very important self defence which may get you killed, it shows the male isn't even a male at all, not a single bit. I only have to hit a girl if the girl is seriously trying to life threaten me. If a girl tries to bully me, my option is to block, and complain to the elderies, unless maybe it's an adult.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • Men aren't allowed to hit girls? What about a slap across the face? That's a common "hit" that girls who "get out of line" receive from men.

Of course, if someone did that to me, I'd purposely fall to the floor, grab their legs, and pull them down with me. Then I'd show him the wrath of the 100 lb beast from hell. hehehe. I'm quite terrifying for someone who's so tiny.

Shanghai Alice

Exiled to Siberia
    Years
  • *Realized he quoted the wrong post, but is too lazy to fix it*
    For me, self-defense is doing whatever it takes to get the person to stop, by whatever means necessary, so long as it's not excessive. There is a Christian teaching on the subject, but...

Also, if I choose to mix a little revenge in, that's my sin. :D

Equal Rights and Equal Opportunities.

Not equality. Whoever started this fighting for equality misnomer thing needs to be slapped.

Would "Equivalent rights and opportunities" be a better way to say it?

Because people always see equal in an "A = A" kind of way. They don't realize that, in some cases, "womanly" tasks are just as vital as "male-dominated" ones.

3. Girls are weaker than guys, so they're allowed to slap you in the face. Brush it off.
    Ever been sucker-punched in the gut?

da_absol

All-American Emo
    Years
  • Because people always see equal in an "A = A" kind of way. They don't realize that, in some cases, "womanly" tasks are just as vital as "male-dominated" ones.
    It appears someone finally has sense.

womanly tasks being strippers

to be honest, if a guy hit me and i wasn't harming him in any way, i would think he's a real low-life.

so PKMNtrainerYellow, would you object if a man insisted on paying a dinner date that was $70 to be manly? And originally it was on your bil?

Rucario

Madam you see before you stand
    Years
  • That depends if you know how to fight for your life against someone with a weapon.
    No, it depends on how you handle any situation. Not just one with a weapon. In fact, most chicks these days could kick my ass, your ass, everybody's ass. Mainly because the know the risk they are at for being a woman in this day and age. Women are targeted mostly by criminals because they are "easy targets" in their eyes. They need to get self-defense training to go to a mall now. I don't blame them.

SinisterEternity

→ Friends call me SE, or Neo ~
    Years
  • I think that if the man is attacked by a woman, then yes, he sure has the right to defend himself now, right ? And same goes for the woman.
    Courtesy, Honor...Yeah, but when the woman deserves it, then okay.

But hitting a woman/man with no reason, or well, no valuable reason, just is...wrong. They say that in France, at least 400 women die from Domestic Violence in a year, so not far from 1 or more per day.
    Men are stronger than women, and there're better ways than violence to end an arguement or come to an agreement. .n.

More generally, I think men just have to push back their strenght if they are "forced" to brutalize a woman except if it's a life-threatening thing of course. xD

Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2010
    The whole rule is just a stupid social standard.

The whole thing is one of my pet hates in life.. personally.. if women fought so hard to get all these rights to vote and be paid equally to men, then there should be no difference in hitting a female, then hitting a male.

That's how i live it, i am pretty anti violent.. Though if in a case i was to hit someone, gender would not even cross my mind.

Random example:
    A Male grabs my DS out of my hands and throws it away... i would probably punch him in the neck
    I would also do the same to a female.

Honestly, if you let some kind of social rule determine your behavior ( such that , people are going to be like 'OMFG YOU HIT A GURL MAN!?!! OMFG THATS JUST WRONG' , you're a pretty weak person.

My views upon this matter have been shaped around my growing up. I don't live in a very peaceful area, and well, a lot of the population is very stupid. Many times in highschool i have seen girls abuse these non existent privileges.

Example:
    A female was giving this male a hard time about his dead mother all day.. literally.. the poor kid's mother had been dead and this female just kept ****ing bullying him thinking she was safe because of stupid non existent social rules. Eventually, the boy snapped and held the female against a car and punched her multiple times.

The next day, the boy came to school.. and got beaten up by about 7 males, and literally another 100 males stood by their side supporting it all because ' he hit a girl ' . These males did not even know the female, they just wanted to look uber awesome infront of their peers.

Now i am in a completely raged mood because of this thread >.< . Sorry if i write too much.

<3

Dawn

Years
  • so PKMNtrainerYellow, would you object if a man insisted on paying a dinner date that was $70 to be manly? And originally it was on your bil?

I would be more concerned about how in god's name we managed to ring up a $70 bill on a dinner date. o.O Did I gorge myself on a 3-5 course meal or what? Should I be in the hospital, with either alcohol poisoning or my insides literally in danger of exploding? Did the meal come with an exotic dance?

Anyway. No. I would not object to him doing that to be manly. Though there are limits to how manly man I want my man to be, I am quite comfortable with men that look to fit their gender roles. Or the opposite, for that matter, so long as they don't get anywhere near the extremes. If they do well... I won't exactly be comfortable, but I'll still support them doing it. Probably wouldn't go out on a dinner date with them, but I'd still support it. (TL;DR, I personally don't find the extremes attractive.)

You know, maybe those roles work for him. Maybe he wants to give his wife the ability to stay home, raise the kids, perhaps work a part time job from home.

Do you guys realize that said stereotype above probably originated when civilization was first evolving? When we stopped being wandering nomads and started making permanent settlements, it was probably considered a luxury for the women to not have to travel and hunt with the men in order to survive? It was evolution, and it was dang well not sexist. It was simply efficiency.

So I can respect where men like that come from. I might not marry one, if he doesn't fit my lifestyle, but hey! Not everyone can fit everyone's life style. I don't look down on him for being incompatible with me. I don't mock his differences. Heck! He could be a great friend!

Richard Lynch

Professor Lynch
    Years
  • I would be more concerned about how in god's name we managed to ring up a $70 bill on a dinner date. o.O Did I gorge myself on a 3-5 course meal or what? Should I be in the hospital, with either alcohol poisoning or my insides literally in danger of exploding? Did the meal come with an exotic dance?

You've obviously never been to Shula's. :P

I think gender stereotypes and roles are incredibly obsolete these days. You have these manly men and womanly women, but it's not like it used to be. Men can cook now, and women can wear suites now.

I'm a bit of a girly man, I admit. Doesn't make me any less of a male... if you want proof, look in my jeans genes! And in these days, the discrimination is actually more on the male than the woman. Ever watched a low fat yogurt commercial, or any commercial, for that sense? The average aged male is depicted as moronic, and I disagree with that. I had a girl once at work point to the book The Time Traveler's Wife and say, "They made a book out of that movie!?"

Not to mention that there are employers out there that can be swayed with gender. For example, in my field (chemistry), a male is more likely to be hired for high school teaching than a female. Likewise, in a lot of businesses, women are more likely to be hired than males. All to fit in a certain quota of "Look, we don't discriminate on gender!" And oh, how wrong they truly are!

CptSwaggerPants

Hi, I'm John Wayne..JK, I CAMP
    Years
  • Because... girls are more fragile and innocent? Guys are big scary people.. well from what I've seen. :( Anyway, I dunno... I really think the guy should stand up for himself instead of letting her hit him. Or as she goes to hit him or whatever, grab her arm to stop her?

Yeah but what if the girl has a weapon? I've seen this before and I believe she deserves to be hit if she is acting in such a way. I know a lot of girls that hide behind the "they can't touch me, I can do whatever I want, I'm a female".

Years
  • Personally, I would never hit a girl unless she calls for it.

Example from my life.
    One girl was getting angry with me for no reason because she was drunk. So she was yelling and screaming in my face. I kept my hands behind my back because there were security guards around and just took it, telling her to shut up. She went to slap me and I blocked it with my arm and stepped back, showing I wasn't going to do anything to her.

HOWEVER, she got so angry that she went to kick me in the family jewels. At that point I knocked her leg to the side, spinning her around, put my arm around her throat and pushed her over to the security guards and pushed her towards them saying. "If she tries to kick me in the balls again, I will make sure it is her last attempt." Then I carried on with the rest of the night.

I don't mind girls slapping me or what have you, because I can take it. But if someone tries to go for that area, then they have stepped up into my no go land... UNLESS SHE IS COMING BACK TO MINE!

I joke.

Dawn

Years
  • You've obviously never been to Shula's. :P

I think gender stereotypes and roles are incredibly obsolete these days. You have these manly men and womanly women, but it's not like it used to be. Men can cook now, and women can wear suites now.

*Will now look up said Restaurant.* ...Lordy. I'd be a happy camper just to go to a Panera Bread, spend $15 all-together, and cuddle.

Anyway, wouldn't it be fair to say that the logical reactions to times changing is gender roles changing? Not gender roles being removed?

For instance. There is no lack of a majority of girls doing cheer leading and no lack of a majority of boys doing football. Clearly there are still roles we have, as a whole, willingly not breached.

Lunacy Giat

Archaeologist+Pokemon=Awe some?
    Years
    • Seen May 9, 2011
    You've obviously never been to Shula's. :P

Unfortunately, exceptions don't disprove a current social "rule" (and I use rule here in the loosest sense as it is still argued to this day if there ARE social rules, thank Durkheim for bringing up the idea and causing us to still debate it…). I have a friend that wrote an extensive article on gender roles of men in the household, and found that despite what we say about a massive shift in gender roles, those gender roles of Men=Breadwinner, and Woman=housework, are still ingrained into our current culture. Although, his data only looked at individuals in the United States, so it might vary from culture to culture.

Back