• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

New fossils speculation

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    I'm thinking we probably won't see more dinosaurs if we get fossils again this time round. We've already got a pterosaur, four dinosaurs and one that's a bird that evolved directly from dinosaurs.

We've got a lot of anthropoid fossils already too. I'm expecting fossils in Sun and Moon, if there are any, to probably be mammalian in nature.
    Interestingly the even gens have given us the Dinos. Gen I and III had anthropods. The rest of the odd gen fossils are quite diverse, not so much in typing (with three water/Rock). Gen III also gave us a 'living fossil', Relicanth, while Gen V had a legendary that was a fossil at one point. Counting Relicanth for III and Genesect for V the odd gens tend to give us three fossils.

Years
    Interestingly the even gens have given us the Dinos. Gen I and III had anthropods. The rest of the odd gen fossils are quite diverse, not so much in typing (with three water/Rock). Gen III also gave us a 'living fossil', Relicanth, while Gen V had a legendary that was a fossil at one point. Counting Relicanth for III and Genesect for V the odd gens tend to give us three fossils.

I wouldn't really count anything you don't need to revive as a fossil pokemon. That's an interesting coincidence about the dinosaurs though.

Years
    I wouldn't really count anything you don't need to revive as a fossil pokemon. That's an interesting coincidence about the dinosaurs though.
    You mentioned that you'll like to see mammals, right? Well one I'll like to see is a Mastodon. Another is a Sabertooth tiger. The Mastodon can bare a resemblance to the Mamoswine line much like Bastiodon's does with Aggron's. The Sabertooth can look like a prehistoric Raikou or something. I imagine Ice/Rock for both or perhaps Electric/Rock for the Sabertooth tiger.

Years
    You mentioned that you'll like to see mammals, right? Well one I'll like to see is a Mastodon. Another is a Sabertooth tiger. The Mastodon can bare a resemblance to the Mamoswine line much like Bastiodon's does with Aggron's. The Sabertooth can look like a prehistoric Raikou or something. I imagine Ice/Rock for both or perhaps Electric/Rock for the Sabertooth tiger.

I think I'd like a Sabertooth, weirdly I'm not sold on a Mastodon though. I know Mamoswine is based more on a boar but I'd rather not see Mamoswine 2.0. Perhaps something a little more obscure like a Diprotodon.

Years
    I think I'd like a Sabertooth, weirdly I'm not sold on a Mastodon though. I know Mamoswine is based more on a boar but I'd rather not see Mamoswine 2.0. Perhaps something a little more obscure like a Diprotodon.
    It's a boar and a mammoth. Well pigs, Mastodons, Mammoths, and elephants do share a common ancestor...

If we get any ice age fossils I feel like they'll pull a Amber on us, except with Ice. Like DNA locked in ice like from a hair or something. Aerodactyl is the only one whose fossil isn't part of it's actual body.

Years
    It's a boar and a mammoth. Well pigs, Mastodons, Mammoths, and elephants do share a common ancestor...

If we get any ice age fossils I feel like they'll pull a Amber on us, except with Ice. Like DNA locked in ice like from a hair or something. Aerodactyl is the only one whose fossil isn't part of it's actual body.

That would be cool.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well from what I saw in Pokemon Chronicles, Aerodactyl DNA was found in the amber and then used on a fossilized egg to revive him.

Oblox

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jul 9, 2021
    Id love a fast attack based Dinosaur type based off a Deinonychus (or similar), but most of all id like a good competitive typing and good abilities. I loved Tyrantrums design but he dies too easily to common attacks.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    I'd like a rock/water spinosaurus, and a rock/psychic raptor.

That being said, we're more likely getting another pair of big bugs. A centipede and an aquatic scorpion would be cool, if they indeed go that route.

Years
    I'd like a rock/water spinosaurus, and a rock/psychic raptor.

We've had like three Rock/Water fossils now (two of which were from the same generation) so I feel the type is getting a bit old for fossils. I liked how most recent fossils starting from 3rd Gen gave more unique types, and I hope we get another pair of fossils with new type combinations, even if it's one used before but never seen on a fossil Pokemon before.

Years
    I feel as if they will try to include Poison or Dark as a secondary type to one of the fossils.

I know we've had the pseudo-legend Tyranitar be Rock/Dark but he currently is the only member with that type, but we have never had Rock/Poison yet. I kinda remember a Fakemon based on a rock with spikes that looked nice, so I hope we see that type combination come into view with this generation.

SleepyTrainer

Rage Valley
    Years
    • Age 25
    • Seen Jul 3, 2018
    What I'd expect from S/M is a solar/lunar fossil, and Lunatone/Solrock's first evolution.
    If they are going to do something with those two, it'd be the perfect time.

Kameken

URYYYYYYYYY
    Years
    We've had like three Rock/Water fossils now (two of which were from the same generation) so I feel the type is getting a bit old for fossils. I liked how most recent fossils starting from 3rd Gen gave more unique types, and I hope we get another pair of fossils with new type combinations, even if it's one used before but never seen on a fossil Pokemon before.

To be honest, I just said water because it was the most obvious choice. I just want a spinosaurus, I barely care what type it gets, or even if it's a fossil. Pure rock might work, I suppose.

grassdragon

Grass Lover!
    Years
    This may sound stupid but I would like to see a Magikarp fossil that matches the Pokedex Entry in Pokemon Y:

In the distant past, it was somewhat stronger than the horribly weak descendants that exist today.

I think they could do so much with this. It wouldn't even have to evolve. Maybe it could do damage with Splash. Personally, I think if you are surfing, Splash should do at least a little damage.

Okay, now that I've gotten that out of the way.
    I would like the fossils to be Rock/Poison and Rock/Electric.

Years
    -Basilosaurus
    -Sarcosuchus Imperator (Largest Crocodillian)
    -Megatherium (A sloth the size of a modern day Elephant)
    -Dunkleosteus (Armoured Fish)
    -Phorusrhacidae (Terror Bird)
    -Megaladon
    -Titanoboa
    -Sabre-tooth Tiger
    -Microraptor (Four winged Prehistoric bird)
    -Helicoprion

Years
    After the player has been forced to go on a romantic jaunt with May, it seems only just for the Amber Fossil to reappear.

Other than that, though, the fossils in the earlier gens were generally more thematic, seemed more coherent, and so on, and in that sense they might rather return to that.

What about the possibility of alien lifeform fossil? Like a fossil that came from space.

It could be interesting if we got some kind of alien interpretation of a dinosaur.
    This could make sense. Or, like a snake fossil from a plane. That said, they're unlikely to want to create an alien feature in the series without sufficient reason.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2017
    I hope that there is a little more storyline to fossil pokemon this time around.. It always just seems like a necessary side detail instead of its own thing. Maybe they can be treated like legendaries and you have to go through a difficult side story event or underwater cave to get them. Maybe you could get both, but they are not together and you have to go through separate areas to find them... Dive to underwater caves for one and explore through a volcano for the other. Maybe have a digging event.

Anyways.. Hawaii has many fairy myth stories, so I see one of the fossil pokemon being Fairy / Rock

Back