• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen New Hoenn Pokemon Official Artwork?!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
    I thought I'd revisit this topic--in the midst of all the new information being leaked, a small little gift was bestowed upon us...
    Spoiler:

So it's been confirmed that at least some Pokémon will be receiving updated art! Mudkip looks adorable as always <333

I like how they used both the Hoenn starters' Ruby/Sapphire artwork and the new OmegaRuby/AlphaSapphire artwork in the same page (and they still have the chance to sprinkle in the Emerald artwork!). Three pieces of Ken Sugimori artwork..wow. XD It'll be interesting to see potential new artwork/poses for some other Hoenn Pokemon..

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    So that pretty much confirms that Sugimori did the art for them then? Can I just say then, as much as I like these designs, I'm not too big on the new art style. I do like his new art, some of it is excellent and vibrant(like this art for Xerneas and Yveltal here is beautiful ) but the old art style for characters is much better.

Rivvon was referring to Brendan's hat being a hat and not his hair being confirmed awhile back, not that it's confirmed that he drew these redesigns.

I like Mudkip's stance in it's new artwork.

blue

gucci
    Years
    Welp if they continue to redesign similar to how they went with Team Aqua/Magma, then I'm so looking forward to seeing the rest of the Hoenn cast!

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
    Rivvon was referring to Brendan's hat being a hat and not his hair being confirmed awhile back, not that it's confirmed that he drew these redesigns.

I like Mudkip's stance in it's new artwork.

Ah I do remember seeing that tweet.

I'm excited to see the Gym leaders now. We will probably get a few of them in groups in the next several CoroCoros and Get TV episodes. I'm curious mostly about what Brawly , Wattson, Winona and Flanerry will look like since they were my favorites.

Years
    Ah I do remember seeing that tweet.

I'm excited to see the Gym leaders now. We will probably get a few of them in groups in the next several CoroCoros and Get TV episodes. I'm curious mostly about what Brawly , Wattson, Winona and Flanerry will look like since they were my favorites.

I wonder if any of them will get as radical redesigns as the Magma and Aqua Admins, or be on the same level as Maxie and Archie and the Main Characters.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    It looks like everyone important will be getting artwork updates at least. :) Wonder if they'll go with the Kalos trainer-artwork route. What do you guy think?

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023
    Surprised no talk about new Magma/Aqua updates.

Spoiler:

Maxie looks like a nerd. Tabitha looks too much like a grunt...and Courtney is a guy?! Maybe its the other way around? IDK...both are girl names >.<

Archie looks badass. Shelley looks exotic and not like a grunt...Matt...is freakin hot ♥♥♥ I don't want to beat him up now D= Don't make me fight my new future husband D=

Years
    We have talked about them a little.
    Well Shelly is a Admin so it's good that she doesn't look like an Admin xD. Her pose reminds me of the Brain of the Roulette...

Years
    We probably won't get HQ until after E3 shows them, or someone takes better scans.

I wish that Maxie neck weren't as covered as it's hard to make out the shape of his head.

immewnity

Webmaster of PidgiNet
    Years
    " You last visited: November 28th, 2012 at 06:52 AM" Wow. It's been a while.

Anyways, we /do/ have the HQ art now thanks to E3. I'm having a hard time identifying Sugimori or Ohmura, though. All the artwork is in "Category:Pokémon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire" on PidgiWiki, or you can find it on the official site in not-so-highres.

Years
    I love the art they made for the path starting from Stateport's beach and going straight up in view until you see Mt. Chimney ominously in the distance. (Just realized that it goes from water to lava (Magma))

immewnity

Webmaster of PidgiNet
    Years
    I love the art they made for the path starting from Stateport's beach and going straight up in view until you see Mt. Chimney ominously in the distance. (Just realized that it goes from water to lava (Magma))

Me too! I'm pretty sure that's drawn by kawayoo - waiting for him to confirm that on Twitter.

PSNGhost

God-Emperor
    Years
    I've always wanted to work character design for Game Freak, as such I actually look forward to the new official artwork of Pokemon. We more than likely will because a) Maxie and Archie (and prob. other characters, haven't yet checked.) have new artwork and b) why the hell wouldn't we?!

Years
    Mudkip, and the other starters appear to have gotten new artwork too. I'll like to see if the Weather trio modern forms have them too seeing how they used the old art work from RSE in this month's corocoro when they explained Primal devolution.

Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2024
    I'm pretty sure we're not going to get new art for all 135 Hoenn Pokémon. We got new art in FR/LG and HG/SS because the style was outdated, so new art was made to match the style that was established with the original R/S art. We got new art for the base form starters, but that's about it.

If you look on both the Japanese and English websites for OR/AS, they use the old art everywhere. They didn't dare use any old art with HG/SS's website when it first went live.

I think this will more than prove my point:

Old art for starters and their evo's, even though the base starters have new art, they still use the old art here: https://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon/starter-pokemon/starter-pokemon

Old art for Groudon and Kyogre used alongside new art for Primal forms and Brendan and May: https://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon/legendary-pokemon/primal-groudon-and-primal-kyogre

The second slide picture shows the old art of the Hoenn starters alongside new art for Brendan and May against new Hoenn region art as a backdrop: https://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/

Towards the bottom we see the starter triangle, and they're using old art: https://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/pokemon-basics/pokemon-basics/pokemon-basics

The only page I could find that actually shows the starter's new art is this one: https://www.pokemonrubysapphire.com/en-us/story/story/story

As I've already mentioned, the old art still looks great and fits alongside new art, unlike the watercolor artworks that were used during Gen I and Gen II. When the HG/SS site was first put up, they didn't dare show a single watercolor artwork, they only showed new art. Here with OR/AS, they're using both new and old art.

While one could argue "oh he hasn't finished them yet", he made new art for Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip, but they're only using the new art on one page. They're using the old art practically everywhere. Also take note how all of these pages became live today, so I think it's safe to say that the old art is staying and will continue to be used in official media, guidebooks, etc.

I'm actually glad though, because I really like the original Hoenn art. While I love all of Ken Sugimori's works, I don't like a lot of his pose choices for his FR/LG and HG/SS art, I prefer the "generic" poses that are used when it's the first art they have, such as with the Sinnoh, Unova, and Kalos Pokémon.

Another thing is, in X/Y, the color textures of the Pokémon are directly taken from the Sugimori art. For instance, lots of people were like "why is Parasect's mushroom pinkish-purple", and that's because that's just how Sugimori colored it. If you notice, the new art for Treecko, Torchic, and Mudkip uses slightly richer colors, but from the screenshots of OR/AS, you can tell that the models have been unchanged from X/Y, and the colors of them match the original art.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
    I'm pretty convinced we will be getting new artworks for the Hoenn Gym Leaders seeing Roxanne looking hawt than before :) I'm pretty excited for the other gym leaders xD

Back